SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

VSC engages without reason

Old 01-08-13, 05:40 PM
Matthias
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VSC engages without reason

My SC430 '02 has developed a problem with the VSC. Unfortunately it s not the light but the VSC engages at slow speeds. If I accelerate from low speeds, engine does not rev up and the VSC lights comes on. It works as if I was skidding and tries to correct the direction of the car. Just as it should if I was on ice or experienced aquaplaning, but I am on a dry road. I did a reset of the ECU, had the car at Lexus (they were able to duplicate my issue) for a zero-calibration. They found no problem with the sensors. All did not help. Presently I drive with the VSC disengaged. I do suspect the speed sensors to act up as I had Tein-Coilovers installed, but how can I get to the source of the problem? Anyone had the same problems and solved it?

Thanks
Old 05-18-13, 10:43 PM
I-FORCE
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the same problem after installing the coilovers.. very annoying

Anyone else out there ??
Old 05-20-13, 07:13 AM
Matthias
Driver

Finally not alone. There have been quite a few that changed to Coil Overs, I would suspect someone else might have the problem. As my car is part of the Airbag recall, I will ask them at the time the fix that to disable 2 out of the four wheel sensors and start to eliminate the problem this way.

I realized that you also changed the steering bushings, i did that as well.Sometimes, when after driving and pulling into the driveway, I have a strange noise and vibration in the steering wheel while doing that sharp turn, have you realized that too?
Old 08-06-14, 02:18 PM
Matthias
Driver

An old post from myself, but I have reason to: problem has finally been solved. After being back at the suspension shop once, twice at Toyota and another three times at Lexus I finally went to an independent Lexus shop here in Las Vegas area. And they found the issue. As many suspected something was wrong with the wheel sensors. It turns out the front ones were not broken but just installed the wrong way as in not all the way in. this prevented accurate reads and in return activated the VSC at sometimes terrible moments. At the same time they replaced the engine and transmission mount and now all is smooth, fast and nice again. Kudos to the Independent!
Old 04-12-15, 07:47 PM
NovaRnder
Driver

started to experience this with my 2007 too... VSC light comes on from time to time especially from the start, very annoying! has to stop the car for the alert chime to stop... for now I'm disengaging the VSC for it not to come on

anybody experiencing the same thing? heard quick fix like ECU reset or cleaning the VSC sensors
Old 04-12-15, 08:02 PM
rudyH
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by NovaRnder
started to experience this with my 2007 too... VSC light comes on from time to time especially from the start, very annoying! has to stop the car for the alert chime to stop... for now I'm disengaging the VSC for it not to come on

anybody experiencing the same thing? heard quick fix like ECU reset or cleaning the VSC sensors
Have you read the answer just before your question?
Old 04-12-15, 08:20 PM
NovaRnder
Driver

Originally Posted by rudyH
Have you read the answer just before your question?
yes, I'm looking for some more folks experiencing this too if they can chime in... I wanna try to locate the sensors and clean them but gotta know first where they are located and also I might try to disconnect the battery for about 30 mins tomorrow to reset the ECU to see if those will eliminate the problem
Old 04-12-15, 08:34 PM
rudyH
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by NovaRnder
yes, I'm looking for some more folks experiencing this too if they can chime in... I wanna try to locate the sensors and clean them but gotta know first where they are located and also I might try to disconnect the battery for about 30 mins tomorrow to reset the ECU to see if those will eliminate the problem
You're right. The wisdom of crowds!
Old 04-13-15, 05:07 PM
NovaRnder
Driver

Yey! VSC lights don't come on every minute anymore. I got lucky, it's as easy as resetting the ECU by disconnecting the battery.
Old 04-23-15, 04:56 PM
D1ESEL
Driver School Candidate

hey everyone..had a question..i just got my OBX Headers installed on my 2003 Lexus SC430..paid 350 for the headers and 1,150 dollars for 12 hours of labor...as i was driving and testing it out..i heard as if the engine was sucking up more air and did feel it faster and louder reving..but as i floored it on the highway the vsc on and off lights plus check engine light came on...and i felt when i floored it i was sort of losing control..any idea whats causing this? .. please need some feedback cuz im such a noob when it comes to cars
Old 04-23-15, 05:24 PM
NovaRnder
Driver

Originally Posted by D1ESEL
hey everyone..had a question..i just got my OBX Headers installed on my 2003 Lexus SC430..paid 350 for the headers and 1,150 dollars for 12 hours of labor...as i was driving and testing it out..i heard as if the engine was sucking up more air and did feel it faster and louder reving..but as i floored it on the highway the vsc on and off lights plus check engine light came on...and i felt when i floored it i was sort of losing control..any idea whats causing this? .. please need some feedback cuz im such a noob when it comes to cars
Try resetting the ECU. I did mine by disconnecting the battery for at least 15 minutes. Solved my VSC lights keep coming on
Old 04-23-15, 05:54 PM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I just had headers installed as well. It's a very involved install so your problem could be a number of things.

It's true resetting your ecu is the first step. Just make sure to wait at least 15 minutes before reconnecting your battery.

The next step, if the Check Engine Light comes back, is to read the code. Use a OBD2 reader and connect to the OBD2 port next to your left knee under the dash. If you don't have one you can pick one up at Walmart for 40 or 50 dollars. They pay for themselves twice over the first time you use one, since most 'mechanics' will charge you 100 dollars for this simple diagnostic.

Then you can determine what the code is by looking up on google and/or asking on this thread.

It could be something as loose connection or nothing at all.

Feel free to private message if you have questions. We are here to help.

First things first, disconnect your battery right away to see if that solves your immediate safety issue.

-Lex
Old 04-24-15, 10:00 AM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Hey Buddy, how's it going? We were worried about you