SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Just had Oil Change, Is My Oil Low.

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-13, 08:38 AM
Patrician
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just had Oil Change, Is My Oil Low.

On any of my cars in the past 10 years whenever I left the oil change place, and checked the oil it would be on the full mark. Last week I got the AMSOIL Synthetic put in the SC and a crap "Premium Guard" filter which I think is a fram. The receipt says they put 5.5 quarts in there, but when I check the oil, it is at 25% level. I know its fine because it is within the margin, but this really leaves me with no room for any messups, and now I feel like I have to constantly keep and eye on it, because if it happens to burn alittle oil, and I dont notice, I could be in deep stuff. It all just feels very weird to me considering Im used to having a car be filled to the top of the line. Is this the normal amount at 5.5 qts???

Also I have 4 carfax's left if anyone want to buy one off me for 75% off. so $10..

Last edited by Patrician; 01-08-13 at 11:04 AM.
Old 01-08-13, 09:23 AM
SC43052
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Patrician
On any of my cars in the past 10 years whenever I left the oil change place, and checked the oil it would be on the full mark. Last week I got the AMSOIL Synthetic put in the SC and a crap "Premium Guard" filter which I think is a fram. The receipt says they put 5.5 quarts in there, but when I check the oil, it is at 25% level. I know its fine because it is within the margin, but this really leaves me with no room for any messups, and now I feel like I have to constantly keep and eye on it, because if it happens to burn alittle oil, and I dont notice, I could be in deep stuff. It all just feels very weird to me considering Im used to having a car be filled to the top of the line. Is this the normal amount at 5.5 qts???

Also I have 5 carfax's left if anyone want to buy one off me.
Kudos to you for checking it! You would be surprised how many people don't do that after an oil change. When I put 5.5 quarts in my SC the dipstick reads full.

I assume when you say 25% level you mean that between the "MIN" and "MAX" marks on the oil dipstick your level is only one-quarter of that distance above the "MIN" mark. I have never actually checked how accurate those marks are, but knowing the Japanese it is probably very accurate in reflecting 4.5 quarts on the "MIN" mark and 5.5 quarts on the "MAX" mark. That would mean you are 3/4 quart short. I try to be very consistent and check the oil level in the morning when the engine is stone-cold and nearly all of the oil has fallen back to the sump.

Take the car and your receipt back immediately. Let them check the level and then tell them that you don't care what the receipt says they short filled it. (When doing an oil change in a hurry it is easy to forget the last 1/2 quart and that would explain most of the low level on the stick.) They should add the missing oil.

It also wouldn't hurt to have them check the drain plug and filter to make sure they are on tight. If they did fill it correctly and it has lost that much oil driving a short distance then I would look for puddles in the garage and expect the drain plug or screw-on filter to fall off shortly.

My wife's SC has 91,000 miles on it and doesn't burn a drop. I check it regularly and the level on the stick never moves from "MAX" throughout the 5K miles between oil changes (Mobil 1 0W-40). I wish I could say the same for my 8 cylinder BMW engine. I love the power and handling of the BMW but they are a nightmare ($$$) to keep running compared to the Lexus.
Old 01-08-13, 09:37 AM
Patrician
Driver School Candidate

My SC only has 65,000 miles on it right now ... Believe it or not the receipt actually says they charged me extra to put another half quart in there get it to the max level???
Old 01-08-13, 09:43 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

I would find another shop to do your work. Are you getting a specific oil from individual cans or are they using bulk oil from a drum ?
Old 01-08-13, 09:46 AM
Patrician
Driver School Candidate

I am guessing that the are using individual quarts because I am pretty sure you cannot buy AMSOIL Synthetic in bulk drums. And plus they only carry crap fram filters "Premium Guard" brand.
Old 01-08-13, 10:13 AM
SC43052
Driver

I am guessing that the are using individual quarts because I am pretty sure you cannot buy AMSOIL Synthetic in bulk drums. And plus they only carry crap fram filters "Premium Guard" brand.
Actually the fram filter tests fairly well in trapping particulate. But it is not a large filter so I wouldn't push it past 7K miles or 250 hours of operation (depends upon driving style - use hours if primarily stop-and-go or lots of short trips that prevent the engine from reaching full operating temperature). If you are really concerned buy your own filter and bring it with you to the oil change.

Oil is so cheap compared to the cost of an engine going bad that I change every 5K-6K using Mobil 1 (0W-40 for the SC and my BMW). Once the sacrificial additives are gone the oil can't do its job. If I were running a fleet of 500 taxi cabs then I would be doing oil testing to stretch oil drain intervals to the max, but not worth the effort for three family cars. Even my 8 cylinder BMW, which takes nearly 9 quarts of oil, gets changed every 5K miles.
Old 01-08-13, 10:37 AM
Patrician
Driver School Candidate

I thought about doing it myself, but I just priced everything from Amsoil and it came out to the exact same price that I payed someone to do all the work and supply the parts, tools, etc. And I have someone to blame if something goes wrong. I just called the shop and complained, they said drop it by and they would fix whatever is wrong. I had no idea the price would actually be cheaper to pay someone.

BTW no is taking me up on the CARFAX reports, they dont get any cheaper 75% off regular price, so $10 a piece, tell your friends.
Old 01-08-13, 01:39 PM
SC43052
Driver

I thought about doing it myself, but I just priced everything from Amsoil and it came out to the exact same price that I payed someone to do all the work and supply the parts, tools, etc. And I have someone to blame if something goes wrong. I just called the shop and complained, they said drop it by and they would fix whatever is wrong. I had no idea the price would actually be cheaper to pay someone.

BTW no is taking me up on the CARFAX reports, they dont get any cheaper 75% off regular price, so $10 a piece, tell your friends.
Wow, that is surprising that they can do Amsoil cheaper than you can buy it. I buy Mobil 1 0W-40 for $7 a quart at Walmart, and with a filter it is total around $50. You are doing very well if you are paying anywhere near that.

Living in AZ is nice because I usually never have to work in a garage colder than 50F. However, it has its downside. The alternator in my BMW gave out in August and it was 115F in the garage (take the good with the bad).
Old 01-08-13, 01:47 PM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

Do not think they put in AMSOIL for 1. This place that did your car, stay away from it. Get a Synthetic 5W-30 and pour it in. A quart will be good. Pour and check, until you see it on F.