SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Missing person/GPS tracking

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-12, 12:45 AM
anoirb
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Missing person/GPS tracking

My father has been missing since November 7th. He was seen near the interstate on the morning he disappeared. We called Lexus to see if he could be traced by the GPS in his car, but we learned that his GPS is aftermarket and there was nothing they could do. We were unaware of this as he had never mentioned it. He bought the car used somewhere in Atlanta a few years ago. It is a white 2006 SC430. I was hoping that if we could track down who made his GPS, we could track it through them. As no one in our family knows much about GPS systems, I am asking if any of you could give me information about what different brands of aftermarket in-dash GPS systems there are out there. I don't know if anything can be done, but any information would be helpful. Thank you.

His tag number is BAIL.

If anyone sees anything out on the road, our local sheriff's dept number is 865-453-4668 and my dad's name is Casey Whaley. Thanks.

Last edited by anoirb; 11-09-12 at 08:44 AM.
Old 11-09-12, 05:53 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

The 2006 sc430 original equipment came with factory installed navigatiion its made by Denso. Does your father have a cell phone that should be trackable. Have you spoken to police. I see your located in TN. I would for sure seek advice from police. Good luck
Old 11-09-12, 05:57 AM
Bon
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

As far as I know all 2006 SC430's came with factory GPS. That said, I don't think that anyone can track an automotive GPS unless it's integrated with other "On Star" like electronics and the SC doesn't have that. On the other hand, if he has a cell phone it can be tracked, some better than others, but they can all be tracked. Good luck in your search.
Old 11-09-12, 06:16 AM
anoirb
Driver School Candidate

Thanks. The police know, we've filed a missing person's report. His cell phone is turned off. Lexus told us that it was completely possible to track his GPS but since it was apparently aftermarket (??) they couldn't. Thanks for all the info!!
Old 11-09-12, 07:11 AM
Bon
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

I believe that Lexus is giving you some bad information. Here is an article for you about tracking a GPS. Basically, the GPS is a radio receiver and not a transmitter.

http://www.time.com/time/business/ar...735091,00.html
Old 11-09-12, 07:34 AM
anoirb
Driver School Candidate

Thank you. Lexus may have misunderstood. They mentioned lexus enform which that car doesn't have, but probably would transmit a location. Thanks for the article.
Old 11-09-12, 08:17 AM
toxic
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since this is a large site, you ought to throw out the tag number so that we can keep an eye out. There's no one better than 430 owners to look for 430's on the road. I know I do it all the time. Good luck on your search, hope we can help.

TOXIC
Old 11-09-12, 12:16 PM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Bon is correct -- the GPS is just a receiver, like an FM radio is a receiver. It does not send any information.

If he has a EZ-Pass for toll payments (or whatever it is called in your area), then you could see whether any deductions were made to that account. I assume the police are checking his credit cards for purchases every few hours. Also, anything that he logs into (email, accounts, etc.) would probably capture the IP address and provide a location.

Hope for the best.

===================================

The Sevier County Sheriffs Office is trying to locate a man reported missing. Casey Whaley was supposed to attend a business meeting Wednesday morning..and did not show up. He is white, 47 years old, gray hair and blue eyes around 5-7 and 160 pounds. He os driving a white 2006 Lexus hard top convertible. Its license tag is simplt BAIL.
Old 11-09-12, 12:20 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Originally Posted by JohnnyCake
Bon is correct -- the GPS is just a receiver, like an FM radio is a receiver. It does not send any information.

If he has a EZ-Pass for toll payments (or whatever it is called in your area), then you could see whether any deductions were made to that account. I assume the police are checking his credit cards for purchases every few hours. Also, anything that he logs into (email, accounts, etc.) would probably capture the IP address and provide a location.

Hope for the best.

===================================

The Sevier County Sheriffs Office is trying to locate a man reported missing. Casey Whaley was supposed to attend a business meeting Wednesday morning..and did not show up. He is white, 47 years old, gray hair and blue eyes around 5-7 and 160 pounds. He os driving a white 2006 Lexus hard top convertible. Its license tag is simplt BAIL.
Hi Johnny your a regular Sherlock Holmes I never thought of the ez pass. That for sure would be able to give an indication if the car is crossing state lines and or turnpikes with in a state.
Old 11-11-12, 08:02 AM
LovezLexus
Driver

I'm so sorry to hear about your father. I will tell my whole family to keep him in our prayers, and I will keep a look out in Houston for the car.

*Think back to see if he was dropping any hints. I don't think a middle aged man would just get up and leave.
Old 11-11-12, 08:14 AM
sdfaith
Driver School Candidate

You are in my prayers. What's the plate number, color, etc. ? We can all keep a lookout for that car.
Old 11-11-12, 08:51 AM
LovezLexus
Driver

Originally Posted by sdfaith
You are in my prayers. What's the plate number, color, etc. ? We can all keep a lookout for that car.
The Sevier County Sheriffs Office is trying to locate a man reported missing. Casey Whaley was supposed to attend a business meeting Wednesday morning and did not show up. He is white, 47 years old, gray hair and blue eyes around 5-7 and 160 pounds. He is driving a white 2006 Lexus hard top convertible(sc430). Its license tag is simply BAIL.
Old 11-11-12, 04:04 PM
Sashman6
Driver School Candidate

Default GPS Information

Hey, sorry to hear about your dad. If you know the Lexus dealer he purchased the vehicle from that dealer will know what GPS Aftermarket companies they worked with back when he bought the vehicle. My company does GPS and dealers would have a record in accounting from paying for those aftermarket systems.

Then that aftermarket GPS company should be able to activate the device remotely and start tracking the vehicle. They will need the VIN#, year, make, model of the vehicle and the dealer information.

Good Luck!

Last edited by Sashman6; 11-11-12 at 04:06 PM. Reason: Additional info
Old 11-11-12, 06:15 PM
anoirb
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the help everyone. We found him, and he is safe!
Old 11-11-12, 06:17 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Very glad you had a good result.

Quick Reply: Missing person/GPS tracking