90K Service Runaround

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-12, 05:14 PM
johnsfe
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 90K Service Runaround

I just need to vent.

I'm in Northern Cali with three Lexus dealerships nearby. I call all three for prices for my 90K service coming up quick!

1st dealer says $1000..timing belt, fluids!
2nd says $1680...timing belt, drive belt and water pump,fluids
3rd says $1500...timing belt, drive belt and water pump,fluids

My problem is I don't know who to believe about what is actually required at 90K. I'd love to pay $1K for everything. I called back to Dealer #1 and he states...well we don't change the water pump..so we don't quote it or the drive belts. WELL WHY DIDN'T YOU SAY THAT TO BEGIN WITH? When I called, I had to ask..well do you do this, and do you do that. But he didn't offer up any additional info until i called back after talking to #2 and #3. Then he put me on hold AND NEVER CAME BACK!!!! I am so upset right now.

SO!!!! Those of you who have had the 90K service done. Can you help with a little feedback on what is really supposed to be done and cost if you don't mind divulging. Or has anyone gone to a non-Lexus repair shop for 90K service??? I'm confused now. ugh! Thanks
Old 10-26-12, 07:07 PM
JPBJR
Rookie

Red face

If you check further on the Forum you will find many members use non Lexus shops. In Denver there are several shops that do the service you want including timing belt, pump, etc. for around $900. Look around, talk to others, research the Forum on 90k service and you will be on your informed way. Good luck and don't get discouraged!
Old 10-26-12, 07:55 PM
KaiserSea1
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Just had my Ls done same motor $780 for timing belt, water pump and drive belt. JM LEXUS
Old 10-26-12, 08:43 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Here is the way to get the best quote - 1. Call each dealer in your area and tell them exactly and specifically what parts and service you want a quote on. 2. Ask to speak to the service manager - not a service adviser. 3. Tell the service manager upfront that you are shopping the local dealers by phone for the lowest price on timing belt and water pump replacement. They will compete for your business but you have to let them know if you let them know and force them to do so. 4. Do not, I repeat do not just ask for 90k service....that's a question that the fish ask and it indicates to the Lexus service guy that you have more money than smarts. 5. If you really want to save the most money buy the OEM Lexus parts online or from Sewell at a discount and then call your local shop and ask for labor quotes only.

Sample parts list - you can double check this list with Sewell and add anything else you specifically want done like drive belt or plugs.

13505-0F010 IDLER TB LIST 88.45 COST 67.54
13540-50030 TENSIONER TB LIST 56.16 COST 42.88
13503-0F010 IDLER TB LIST 88.83 COST 67.82
13568-09070 BELT, TB LIST 52.33 COST 39.95
16100-59275-83 PUMP ASSY WATER LIST 143.07 COST 109.02
16346-50010 GASKET, T/STAT LIST 4.32 COST 3.29
90916-03100 THERMOSTAT LIST 18.99 COST 14.50
96761-35035 RING, O LIST 3.54 COST 2.71

And if you have a little game in you make sure that you tell each service manager that you really want to do business with their Lexus location rather than the others so he really needs to sharpen his pencil and give you a super good quote : ) Alls fair in love and war.

Last edited by Jabberwock; 10-26-12 at 09:02 PM.
Old 10-26-12, 09:11 PM
johnsfe
Rookie

Originally Posted by Jabberwock
Here is the way to get the best quote - 1. Call each dealer in your area and tell them exactly and specifically what parts and service you want a quote on. 2. Ask to speak to the service manager - not a service adviser. 3. Tell the service manager upfront that you are shopping the local dealers by phone for the lowest price on timing belt and water pump replacement. They will compete for your business but you have to let them know if you let them know and force them to do so. 4. Do not, I repeat do not just ask for 90k service....that's a question that the fish ask and it indicates to the Lexus service guy that you have more money than smarts. 5. If you really want to save the most money buy the OEM Lexus parts online or from Sewell at a discount and then call your local shop and ask for labor quotes only.

Sample parts list - you can double check this list with Sewell and add anything else you specifically want done like drive belt or plugs.

13505-0F010 IDLER TB LIST 88.45 COST 67.54
13540-50030 TENSIONER TB LIST 56.16 COST 42.88
13503-0F010 IDLER TB LIST 88.83 COST 67.82
13568-09070 BELT, TB LIST 52.33 COST 39.95
16100-59275-83 PUMP ASSY WATER LIST 143.07 COST 109.02
16346-50010 GASKET, T/STAT LIST 4.32 COST 3.29
90916-03100 THERMOSTAT LIST 18.99 COST 14.50
96761-35035 RING, O LIST 3.54 COST 2.71

And if you have a little game in you make sure that you tell each service manager that you really want to do business with their Lexus location rather than the others so he really needs to sharpen his pencil and give you a super good quote : ) Alls fair in love and war.
This is great information. I sure should have asked before I called around like a fish! I really felt "had" today. I knew the lowest one would get me in by quoting low and not including the drive belt or water pump...then would probably end up getting way way more out of me by saying...oh by the way..you need a new drive belt and water pump for an extra dah dah dah!!

Thanks to all of you for input. I had an appt tomorrow at 8am with lowest price. But I decided earlier on I am cancelling and give this a bit more research to lower costs.
Old 10-26-12, 09:47 PM
TriniLex
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Hope this helps
Old 10-27-12, 08:17 AM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by johnsfe
This is great information. I sure should have asked before I called around like a fish! I really felt "had" today. I knew the lowest one would get me in by quoting low and not including the drive belt or water pump...then would probably end up getting way way more out of me by saying...oh by the way..you need a new drive belt and water pump for an extra dah dah dah!!

Thanks to all of you for input. I had an appt tomorrow at 8am with lowest price. But I decided earlier on I am cancelling and give this a bit more research to lower costs.
Don't feel bad the service managers are used to dealing with several types of customers - at one end of the scale some Lexus customers don't care about price at all, they mainly care about convenience, so the dealer makes the most profit on them. And at the other end of the scale some customers are very careful and ask that the dealer competes on price and even brings in their own parts if they can save more money.

So a random call asking for pricing is gonna generate average to high price quote.

But the dealer is happy to have customers at both ends of the scale and all the ones in the middle to maximize their services revenues. You just have to be clear up front in letting the dealer know what kind of customer you are up front and they will be happy to deal with you. By the way most Lexus services employees would themselves be the most frugal kind of customer, so...most can definitely relate and respect your perspective, when you tell them up front you are budget conscious and shopping for best price on any potential work. I have my Lexus service advisor trained by now - he knows exactly what I want when I call him to ask about any dealer maintenance. .

Last edited by Jabberwock; 10-27-12 at 08:21 AM.
Old 10-27-12, 09:08 AM
SlvBullet
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

From a fish trying to dry out ... I get smarter everytime I read this forum and better prepared for each new thing I need to do. Thanks for all the information.

-Too bad I alread did most of the 90k stuff :-(
Old 10-27-12, 09:12 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Oh Boy my dealer you never see the same service rep from visit to visit. When I call on the phone and my rep is busy it goes to voice mail and I never hear from them again. I just wish there was a competent shop that knew there way around an sc430. I am just afraid to not go to the stealership.
Old 10-27-12, 05:30 PM
barncat
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mrblister
Oh Boy my dealer you never see the same service rep from visit to visit. When I call on the phone and my rep is busy it goes to voice mail and I never hear from them again. I just wish there was a competent shop that knew there way around an sc430. I am just afraid to not go to the stealership.
I think it might be to your benefit to travel a little for a better dealer. If you are in eastern Pa you should be close to a number of Lexus dealers.
Old 10-27-12, 05:33 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

I am in a suburb of Phila. There are two dealers near both owned by same. I never get good service and I have bought three new cars from them. The next closest is in NJ. I just would like to find an independent that works on lexus and know his way around the car
Old 10-27-12, 06:48 PM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by mrblister
Oh Boy my dealer you never see the same service rep from visit to visit. When I call on the phone and my rep is busy it goes to voice mail and I never hear from them again.
I think it is a good idea to develop a relationship with one service writer. I stumbled upon the guy I go to about five years ago. It happened to be his first week and we struck up a business friendship. I've never met his kids, but I know all about them and vice-versa. I've never dealt with anyone else in five years.

Fast forward to earlier this year. I'm walking through the service department to get to the parts department, carrying my very old battery that doesn't hold a charge very well and I'm looking for a core credit and to purchase a new one.

My service writer sees me, asks me what I'm doing. Tells me to let him look at the battery and takes it into the service area.

Returns a few minutes later and says that the battery tests OK right now, but give him five more minutes and its gonna come back defective. Sure enough, five minutes later he comes out with a brand new battery, absolutely no charge, and apologizes for my old battery being "defective."

Relationships are everything.
Old 10-27-12, 07:22 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

When I first met my service writer. I told him how hands on I was and would apprreciate his input in dealing with my car. Since I have low milage I dont go in very often. However I have allways tipped my service writer gift cards tickets etc. I am on a first name basis. I have bought 3 cars from this dealership. Every time I go in I get taken by the service writer not busy. My regular guy is allways hard to find. I go in very early and he is not usually in early.
I have seen them work on my car with out using fender covers. I had to ask them to put them on. I dont like belt buckles scratches on my fenders . Really sloppy stuff. Its amazing how I felt awkward asking them to use them.
This is not luxury service. They used to give out a rose when you pay your bill. Stopped that. Still get coffee and other perks. The car wash they give you I stopped left more water spots . I do it my self .

Rant over
Old 10-27-12, 11:14 PM
garybc230
Driver School Candidate

I can understand why it's so frustrating to get a good dealer let alone a good quote on service. One thing that you should keep in mind is that you can go to any Toyota dealer and have the service work done for quite a bit less. The V8 engine is a Toyota engine and I've been going to my local Toyota dealer for service work and couldn't be happier, they are pleasant and the prices are much more reasonable. Give your local Toyota dealer a call, I guarantee that you'll get a price that is much more manageable. Best of luck
Old 10-28-12, 06:58 AM
kjcole
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

+1 on Toyota. Or find an independent shop that has done timing belts on Toyota trucks with the V8 engjine and who will do the job with your parts. This timing belt change is a lot easier than most front wheel drive transverse mount engines.

Definitely don't skimp and change the idler and tensioner pulleys in addition to the water pump. Make sure they at least test the hydraulic tensioner, or just replace up front do you dont' have to worry about it.

Quick Reply: 90K Service Runaround