SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Navigation screen will not retract.

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-12, 04:09 PM
lifethinkr
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Navigation screen will not retract.

hello.this forum had been very helpful tyo me in diagnosing different minor problems with my sc430. the lastest one is that my navigation screen will not tilt back so the cover will go over it.it seems like its tilted forward all the way.the screeen still works and all.but the tilt button does nothing and its too far out for me to get the woodgrain cover to go over it.is this a common issue? and whats the remedy,guys? thanks.

ive tried yelling at it,punching it,cursing at it.and still nothing.sould i try something else?
Old 04-07-13, 07:45 PM
Kurt10
Driver School Candidate

Default Same Problem

I have the same problem. Did you ever figure out how to fix the retracting nav screen?
Old 04-10-13, 12:51 PM
Habious

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

It's probably come off the track.

The nav unit (in the dash) comes out as a single piece (frame, 2 side pieces (which have the tracks embedded in them) screen, and some electronics).

I'm doing this from memory of long ago, so this may not be 100% (but it's better than 90%).

- You need to remove the climate control module (pulls out, 3 connectors behind it)
- You need to remove the left vent - with wooden trim piece (there are some clips inside the vent)
- You need to remove the right vent (which comes out, along with the long wood trim strip as one piece)

From there, you can get the nav system out (2 bolts up top, 2 below)

It has to be tilted down slightly, then pulls out. Watch out for the connectors behind it. Unplug them.

Once you have the whole thing out you can go set it on your dining room table (put a towel down first so the wife doesn't yell at you) and you can see how it works.

You should be able to manually move the mechanism/gears to get the screen to move, and the door to rotate down. If not, you should be able to see what's stopping it.

As a note of warning, the two side pieces are what holds it all together so, if you take one side off, it'll all just...fall apart. And you'll have to piece everything back together to get the side piece back on.

If something has come off track, you might be able to just LOOSEN a couple of the side bolts and slide the misaligned part back into place, as opposed to fully disassembling the assembly.

Hope this helps.
Old 04-10-13, 05:29 PM
jasone36
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Out of this very concern, I open up the navi screen (and thus door) only when I need, which is about 1% of the time. Call me paranoid LOL
Old 04-15-13, 02:04 PM
Kurt10
Driver School Candidate

I pulled the nav screen and tested the motors and they work. the screen tilts and closes when there is power to the motors so no problem with track that I can see. The problem is power to the motors when connected to the car. The close and open switch must work as the nav screen goes black when Close button is pushed and comes on when Open button is pushed. Checked the fuse number 29 that the manual refers to as the TV/Navigation and it looks fine. Anyone have any other ideas?
Old 04-16-13, 06:43 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

This is a wild suggestion but have you powered down (disconnect battery)? It might re-set something?

Anyway, did you know a change point? It was working before and suddenly does not? The change point will almost lead you to a cause, other than mechanical or motor failure.

Good luck.
Old 04-16-13, 11:53 AM
Kurt10
Driver School Candidate

Default nav screen not closing

I already did the battery disconnect and nothing changed. I bought the car like this so do not know when the change occurred. I was wondering about the switches inside the climate control unit because that is all that is left, but couldn't figure out how to disassemble that. I took out all the screws that look like it hold it together but it wouldn't come apart.
Old 04-16-13, 12:38 PM
kjcole
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Disclaimer: Working from pure ignorance.

We know that the motors are working. So there must be a circuit or limit switches located (electrically) between the door close and open switches, and the motors, because of the need to sequence the tilt and cover closing operations (tilt back first, cover down second). If it is a circuit it could either be in the nav monitor + cover unit, or in the climate control since there is a 'close' switch there that activates the tilt/close sequence. I'd look closer at the nav unit, unless someone here knows for sure that the coordinating circuitry is in the climate control unit. The latter are $300 or so used.

Last edited by kjcole; 04-16-13 at 12:54 PM.
Old 04-16-13, 03:58 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Maybe a local member could pull his air cond control and you could plug it in to see if your nav retract and tilt will work., Its not difficult to just pull the air cond head.
Old 04-17-13, 11:34 AM
Habious

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by mrblister
Maybe a local member could pull his air cond control and you could plug it in to see if your nav retract and tilt will work., Its not difficult to just pull the air cond head.
That's a great idea, Mr. Blister.

JohnnyCake and I were saying that exact thing just the other day.

We were looking at his trunk leak problem (see other post), and we both had the same idea at the same time...Hey, we have an example to work from!!! My car!

The same day, we were troubleshooting a subwoofer issue in my car. I "borrowed" a known-good ML sub (from his car) to verify my problem.
Old 04-17-13, 04:11 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Default Road trip

Originally Posted by Habious
That's a great idea, Mr. Blister.

JohnnyCake and I were saying that exact thing just the other day.

We were looking at his trunk leak problem (see other post), and we both had the same idea at the same time...Hey, we have an example to work from!!! My car!

The same day, we were troubleshooting a subwoofer issue in my car. I "borrowed" a known-good ML sub (from his car) to verify my problem.
Habious and Johnny Cake

I have not broken my car trying to fix it since last year . Maybe a road trip just to say hey and show you my projector. I have to do the passenger side yet
Old 11-29-16, 02:21 PM
samirene
Driver School Candidate

Default Lexus CT200h head-up display won't retract

The head up display on my 2013 Lexus CT200h will not retract, how do I fix it?
Old 11-29-16, 03:08 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Originally Posted by samirene
You are posting this in a old thread as well as in the wrong forum . This forum is for the sc430
Old 11-29-16, 06:01 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 855 Likes on 688 Posts

Originally Posted by samirene
should be under warranty, call Lexus Service...
Old 01-22-19, 08:46 AM
Chandler23
Driver School Candidate

My 2002 SC 430 Lexus navigation screen will not open what is the problem any body have this issue before?

Quick Reply: Navigation screen will not retract.