SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

New SC430 member from Denmark

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-13, 01:02 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

All this work makes me quite jealous. It all looks amazing!
Old 04-18-13, 01:20 PM
Rollaboy
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Haha thanks guys The other builds here on CL makes me wanna do more things and i love to work on a car like this.

Heres a little update. The cam covers didnt look so good so i was wondering if i should paint them, but since i have some other polished parts i thought i would polish them to a mirror finish as well.

Woow what a huge job. Took me two days to do the grind and polish. Don't know the exact hours spend but its really time consuming.

Heres some pics:

The right cover was really hard to get free. Not much space and there is a wire with a socket on that need to get through the hole in the cover so that took some extra time.

Bought grinders and a 3 stage polish kit.

Finally done

Hey, is that a twin turbo engine??

Finally As you can see i also finally recieved my Cusco tower bar (part number CUS-188540A). It fits perfectly and have about 10mm clearance to the engine cover. I think i will cut some of the engine cover in the lower right side so it shows more of the cam cover

Here i test mounted one of my Behrman fenders. Pretty nice fit. Needed to make all the mounting holes a little bigger, but other than that i think it fits ok. Needs a final touch to get ready for paint.
Old 04-18-13, 10:02 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Rollaboy
Haha thanks guys The other builds here on CL makes me wanna do more things and i love to work on a car like this.

Heres a little update. The cam covers didnt look so good so i was wondering if i should paint them, but since i have some other polished parts i thought i would polish them to a mirror finish as well.

Woow what a huge job. Took me two days to do the grind and polish. Don't know the exact hours spend but its really time consuming.

Heres some pics:

The right cover was really hard to get free. Not much space and there is a wire with a socket on that need to get through the hole in the cover so that took some extra time.

Bought grinders and a 3 stage polish kit.

Finally done

Hey, is that a twin turbo engine??

Finally As you can see i also finally recieved my Cusco tower bar (part number CUS-188540A). It fits perfectly and have about 10mm clearance to the engine cover. I think i will cut some of the engine cover in the lower right side so it shows more of the cam cover

Here i test mounted one of my Behrman fenders. Pretty nice fit. Needed to make all the mounting holes a little bigger, but other than that i think it fits ok. Needs a final touch to get ready for paint.

....excellent work !!!
Old 04-18-13, 10:59 PM
fj40ih8mud
Pole Position

WOW is right.

I just powdercoated mine under the assumption that aluminum "pot" metal would never shine up. Guess that is why we should not assume. Great work. The "while you are at it" list is growing!!
Old 04-19-13, 07:59 PM
430SILVER
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Double WOW.
Old 04-20-13, 10:37 AM
WIL44
Instructor

Received 86 Likes on 46 Posts

Fantastic work again, you are making us all very jealous.
Keep it up.
Old 04-20-13, 03:43 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

Looks great Rollaboy!
Old 04-20-13, 05:50 PM
bacardi11
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

you do some nice work.
Old 04-20-13, 08:38 PM
SlvBullet
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That polishing is Excellent! Great job .
Old 04-20-13, 09:27 PM
Emackny
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Very clean! Coming along nicely..
Old 04-21-13, 01:29 AM
HMD
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i love the vs wheels
waiting for the photos of the final project
Old 04-21-13, 01:33 PM
SlvBullet
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Amazed by the polishing and just was thinking you can also polish the thermostat housing. I painted chrome all three but no comparison - at least they aren't dirty but yours look fantastic.
Old 04-25-13, 03:07 PM
Rollaboy
Lead Lap

Thanks guys. The crazy dane is back Well.. Found out that the Behrman fenders i got from Japan has fake air vents with no holes in the mesh. I dont like that. So what to do... Found some used original Mercedes SL air vents on ebay for $100 a set. Took everythin apart just to get the mesh. It fits perfectly.

Like always, before mounting the new fenders i want to protect the chassis. First up is the thin anti rust layer.

Then the thick anti rust spray which is mat black.

Heres the vents installed. Actually there is connection from the engine bay to the vents, so hot air from the V8 will get out of the vents. I know its not gonna give me any extra horsepower or anything, but hey at least its not fake vents

Oohh and i found a Fender roller from UK for only $150 including shipping. Those rear fenders need some serious rolling for the wide wheels to fit The fronts are perfect. I might add a 5 og 10mm spacer but we will see what the future brings.

Now i will take off the fenders again and get them and the front bumper ready for the painter

And yeah SlvBullet, i thought the same thing about the thermostat housing. But i will wait until i need to change the timming belt before polishing that.

See you soon for a new update
Old 04-25-13, 06:56 PM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

You are a tease Rollaboy, but that's just fine. We love your work. The SC will outlive you and your kids, LOL!
Old 04-25-13, 09:21 PM
FLYCT

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You did a nice job polishing them. They look great but I have question;

Did you perhaps clear coat them? My experience with polished aluminum is that it will corrode after a while unless protected with a clear coat or routine re-polishing. I've seen this many times with aircraft. People will strip and polish a prop and after a few months they begin to corrode.

JR

Quick Reply: New SC430 member from Denmark