Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default London Times Reviewer gives sc430 1 star

Surfing around I found this review. Pretty Harsh:

The Sunday Times

Lexus SC430
by Andrew Frankel of The Sunday Times
Expensive mistake

If I’d punched every person I’ve heard say “There’s no such thing as a bad car any more” I would have a jab worthy of a deputy prime minister. As phrases go it is one of the laziest, most stupid and most dangerous in this business.

I’ve heard it from the car-buying public, the car manufacturers and the allegedly critical motoring press, and every time I’ve seen, heard and smelt a rat.

It’s true that cars are more capable today than ever before, but achievements are relative and as they improve so we should raise our expectations. They might rarely break down these days but that merely makes them reliable and should not be regarded as a point in a car’s favour. You wouldn’t praise your kettle because it was capable of boiling water; such things should be givens. Regardless of its abilities, I would argue that the worst car in any given class is by definition a bad car.

This approach is no respecter of price, brand or badge. Apply it and you’ll see that all manufacturers can and do build truly bad cars.

Even Lexus. How could a company boasting some of the most envied (and deserved) quality credentials of any marque build a truly bad car? I know only that it has and this is it. It’s called the SC430, it costs £50,850 and it’s a complete mutt.

This was meant to be Lexus’s answer to the Mercedes SL sports car and coming from those responsible for the next best limousine after the Mercedes S-class (at least until the Audi A8 goes on sale), it’s not unreasonable to expect the SC430 to show commensurate strength against the SL. When it was first released to the press last year, however, the reception it received was less than welcoming. I, on the other hand, said nothing, on account of the fact that until now I’d never driven one. At the time I did suggest to a magazine that had commissioned me to write a comparison of five luxury convertibles that the SC430 should be included but I was stopped mid-flow by a snort of derision. To say it considered that the SC430 would not have had much to contribute to the debate is putting it mildly.

This, then, is the new SC430, with modifications meant to put this sad state of affairs in the past. They centre on the car’s suspension in general and its spring and damper rates specifically, which have been blamed for the SC430’s apparently hitherto wooden handling and awful ride. The good news is the second-generation SC430 goes broadly where you point it (even if the steering is almost devoid of feel) while serving up a ride that’s poor but hardly appalling. The bad news is that this is not nearly good enough.

Compared with Mercedes’s SL 500 (£67,790) the SC430 is almost farcically off the pace. The SL is fun to drive, the SC is not. The SL’s ride is taut, controlled and fluent, the SC’s is flabby, undisciplined and, should you hit a pothole, decidedly jerky. Both have sophisticated steel folding roofs, but while the SL turns a beautiful convertible into a classic coupé, the SC is equally and irredeemably ugly, whatever you do with the roof. If the Mercedes is considerably more expensive it more than deserves to be.

For something more broadly comparable on price, try the £42,370 BMW M3 convertible. Contrary to what Jeremy would have you believe, it is a brilliant car (if you skip the optional SMG sequential transmission) and probably never looked a bigger bargain than when parked next to the SC430.

If you don’t mind the way it looks and all you wish to do is cruise on smooth roads then the SC430 has its place — and this might explain why it does rather better in America than here — but otherwise it provides startlingly few reasons to tempt

50 grand out of your pocket. I guess it’s such a rare sight on our roads that it’s guaranteed a kind of exclusivity but few cars I’ve driven in the past year have more deserved to be rare than this.

Yet it is not without merit. It’s better built than an SL and the engine/gearbox combination is both smooth and responsive. With 282bhp from its 4.3 litre V8 it’s quick enough, too. In addition, it’s extremely well equipped and I’d be staggered if anything at all went wrong in its first 100,000 miles.

But the car remains one of the few on the road even more pointless than a Ford Fusion: it’s too dull and flawed to be a driver’s car and too ugly to cut it on the automotive catwalk. When your rivals include cars as beautiful as the Mercedes SL, Maserati Spyder and Jaguar XK8 convertible, being at best quirkily different just is not enough.

The easy conclusion is to say the SC430 is not a bad car, merely that its opponents are better. But I feel disinclined to let it off so lightly. The fact that I’d rather have any rival would make it bad in this book regardless of its actual abilities. And when those abilities are so limited that there are convertibles costing £20,000 less that eclipse it either to look at or to drive (Audi TT Roadster and Porsche Boxster), its real standing is revealed.

Over the years Lexus has produced cars that have tended to vary in ability from competent (IS200, RX300) to downright astonishing (LS400, LS430). But the SC430 is none of these: it is a poor car, pure and simple. The only astonishing thing about it is that Lexus let it be built. Geniuses, it seems, still have their off days.

Vital statistics
Model Lexus SC430
Engine type V8 4293cc
Power 282bhp @ 5600rpm
Torque 309lb ft @ 3500rpm
Transmission Five-speed automatic
Fuel 23.5mpg (combined)
CO2 287g/km
Co car tax £7,097 for a higher-rate taxpayer
Acceleration 0 to 62mph: 6.4sec
Top speed 155mph
Price £50,850
Verdict The first truly undesirable Lexus
Old 11-25-02, 09:38 PM
LexusSC430
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ehhh, who cares, I love the car. They usually bash American and Japanese cars over there for obvious reasons. Also, I love how he tries to stay unbiased, by pointing out the cars strong points and then saying they arent important.
Old 11-25-02, 11:06 PM
digital_wu
Driver School Candidate

I disagree with his point about reliability. I believe the one of the most important points should be reliability, what good would a car be if a car's engine blows up on you , or that you have to visit the dealers more often then you need to. If you have a car that can not be driven whenever you want to, then it stops being a transportation means, it is simply a still looking object.

In addition, given that if he really looked and test drove the car and still felt the way he experienced, i can only say he really loved the SC430. whatever happened, rememeber that the extent of hatred is often equivalent to how much a person can love.

I agree with lexus SC430, that the editor seemed to disregard what makes SC430 stand out, for one being the hardtop convertible, M3 does not have one.

It seems to me that his points are valid, what troubles me is that he is pointing to an oranage and keep wishing that the orange is an apple. Well, Lexus is not God, and it cant play magic, it can only make good cars that are reliable and cater to the market of people who love the way it is.

And lastly, apparently without the SC430, there would be nothing left for him to belittle upon. Given the current situation of the economy, he will be probably out of job. SC430 rightly allows him to stay on his job. It is all good
Old 11-26-02, 09:35 AM
1NICESC430
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Interesting.
Never in my life have I paid so much for a car and probably never will again. As far as I'm concerned, when shelling out those kind of bucks, reliability is extremely important.

While I was waiting those weeks and weeks for my car to come in, I had all these doubts - why should I get an SC430 when I can get a Mercedes, a BMW, etc etc. But it all came back to reliability and I never did change my mind (obviously).

Except for the harsh ride of the run-flats, I really enjoy driving my SC and think it's a damn good-looking car.
Old 11-26-02, 11:06 AM
ceboyd
Lexus Test Driver

Default whatever

everyone is entitled to their opinion. It doesn't mean I have to agree.

I also think this guy made a huge mistake trying to compare the SC430 to the likes of an Audi TT or Porshe Boxster. They are sports cars and in a different catagory.. the SC430 is a sporty car but as far as I am concerned, it doesn't compete with Boxster or Audi TT since that is a different catagory of car altogether. Even the M3 Convertible is geared more torwards sport car rather than luxary car. The M3 Convertible is also, IMHO, not a direct competitor to the SC430. Only the Mercedes Sl500 with its folding hardtop is a direct competitor and I disagree that it is worthy of the extra $30K. The fit and finish in the SL500 is **** poor in comparison! (my opinion of course!)

If someone tries to compare the ride and handling of an SC430 to a Porsche Boxster, of course the SC430 is going to loose. I didn't buy the SC430 for its amazing road handling ability (I have a Porsche for that). I bought the SC430 for its looks, reliability, Aluminum (not steel) folding roof, power, luxary and yes, ride feel.
Old 11-26-02, 01:29 PM
antigeek
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Re: London Times Reviewer gives sc430 1 star

Originally posted by ****Lexus
Yet it is not without merit. It’s better built than an SL and the engine/gearbox combination is both smooth and responsive. With 282bhp from its 4.3 litre V8 it’s quick enough, too. In addition, it’s extremely well equipped and I’d be staggered if anything at all went wrong in its first 100,000 miles.
The claim is that reliability is a moot point.
But as a CONSUMER, I would rather spend £17,000 MORE on a car that is not as well built as the SC? NOT!
That's one of the reasons that Jag & Merc lost out on my choice: an exciting ride is hard to have in the Ultimate Mechanic's Pension Machine.

I'll give him his points, but only on the apparent angle the article is coming from: if you never intend to buy any of the cars mentioned in the article, and only wish to take the Euro-driving experience into account (which is cool), then consideration for cost, reliability, etc. goes out the window.

Case in point: Porsche owners don't buy their cars for their luxurious interior.
Old 11-26-02, 05:29 PM
XeetBMW330ci
Rookie

Originally posted by digital_wu
I disagree with his point about reliability. I believe the one of the most important points should be reliability, what good would a car be if a car's engine blows up on you , or that you have to visit the dealers more often then you need to. If you have a car that can not be driven whenever you want to, then it stops being a transportation means, it is simply a still looking object.

In addition, given that if he really looked and test drove the car and still felt the way he experienced, i can only say he really loved the SC430. whatever happened, rememeber that the extent of hatred is often equivalent to how much a person can love.

I agree with lexus SC430, that the editor seemed to disregard what makes SC430 stand out, for one being the hardtop convertible, M3 does not have one.

It seems to me that his points are valid, what troubles me is that he is pointing to an oranage and keep wishing that the orange is an apple. Well, Lexus is not God, and it cant play magic, it can only make good cars that are reliable and cater to the market of people who love the way it is.

And lastly, apparently without the SC430, there would be nothing left for him to belittle upon. Given the current situation of the economy, he will be probably out of job. SC430 rightly allows him to stay on his job. It is all good
I agree. (However, there is a hardtop for the M3)

Oh, and since when did the London Times become the source for car reviews. I mean, come on they have to say something different, otherwise they look like they're chewing on the same opinions. There is no car in the world that gets good reviews from every publication (Except the 330... j/k!), this one just happens to be the bad one.

Drew.

Last edited by XeetBMW330ci; 11-26-02 at 05:35 PM.
Old 11-26-02, 10:14 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

This guy spent a few hours in an SC430, compared it to other cars based on "driveability" and wrote a harsh review. His opinion is based on very narrow criteria.

I just purchased my SC (2003 model) in September. I traded in a 2002 Audi A6 4.2 Quattro. Honestly, when I first drove the SC, I wasn't that impressed either. The Audi was beautiful, fast, and stuck to the road like glue. However, I traded primarily because of the RELIABILITY factor. Now that I've had my SC for a couple of months and use it as a daily commuter here's my "real world" opinion:

-I commute 50 miles a day, stop and go and open highway. Is this car quiet, capable, and fast? Yes. Does it "haul" when I need it to? Yes. (The Audi didn't. Almost got rearended several times because of slow transmission).

-My way of avoiding stress in traffic is to enjoy tunes. Does this car have a killer sound system? Yes, the best I've ever experienced. (Audi had Bose... no comparison.)

-A beautiful interior is important to me. Does this car have one? Yes, IMHO the most beautiful I've ever seen. Every time I open the door I'm blown away.

-I live in So. Florida and we're just getting into convertible season. Do I feel like I'm on Cloud 9 when cruising at 80 MPH with the top down? Absolutely.

-I like a car that has presence and generates "emotion". Does that fit this car? Absolutely. (You die-hard SC430 fanatics will understand exactly what I'm talking about.) Reviewers can call it "ugly", but people consistently stop me to compliment it and everyone in my office wants it.

Now that I own an SC, the things I DON'T get to enjoy are excessive brake dust (wash wheels daily on German cars), squealing brakes after 10,000 miles, and a service dept. that makes me feel like my $52,000 auto is worth $15,000. The SL500 is drop-dead gorgeous, but I wouldn't pay $30,000 more for spotty reliability and economy car service. The M3 is also a wonderful car, but check out the BMW message boards to see how many owners have had their engines blow up. Even the dealer told me the HP was too strong for the SMG transmission. Minor glitch. And I've owned a BMW... a 330Ci. The dealer installed a spoiler on it that fell off while I was driving!

Yes, there are compromises with the SC430. Occasionally I get whacked when I hit a pothole and I'd like to know I can drive at the limit if I ever wanted to. But those are minor complaints. When I go for service (and that probably won't be often) I know I'll be treated like gold and the dealer will stand behind the car. I breathed a sigh of relief when I traded in my Audi and became part of the "Lexus Family". Does that translate to choosing a "bad car"? Not in my opinion.

When Lexus comes out with an AWD SC430, it will become the "perfect car" and I'll be first on the waiting list to buy one.
Old 11-26-02, 10:23 PM
ceboyd
Lexus Test Driver

Default o.k.

but why do you care about AWD in Southern Florida?
Old 11-26-02, 10:45 PM
Carnaught
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up dseag2.....

Well said!
Old 11-26-02, 11:11 PM
XeetBMW330ci
Rookie

A little off topic, but I feel somehow compelled to address these statements...

Originally posted by dseag2
The M3 is also a wonderful car, but check out the BMW message boards to see how many owners have had their engines blow up. Even the dealer told me the HP was too strong for the SMG transmission. Minor glitch.
Agreed the around the Feburary of 2001 build of M3 had engine problems, however this was a problem that has been addressed. SMG has nothing to do with the problems, it was an engine problem. 90% of the M3 that had the problems had 6 speed trannys. (Search Google for Loki's M3 faq for the proof.) FYI, the SMG transmition can handle 500 horsepower (per manufacturer spec), which is well above the engine output of ~333 horsepower.

Originally posted by dseag2
And I've owned a BMW... a 330Ci. The dealer installed a spoiler on it that fell off while I was driving!
Your dealer is obviously not the best (look at previous statements). Keep in mind the spoiler (not a factory option) is in fact installed by the dealer which should be bolted on. This is in no way reflects the build quality of the car. I would go to a different dealer if I were you. Why did you sell the 330ci? Even if you did, you have good taste!

Before you comment, inform yourself first.

By the way, why would you want AWD anyway?

Last edited by XeetBMW330ci; 11-26-02 at 11:15 PM.
Old 11-26-02, 11:43 PM
XeetBMW330ci
Rookie

Originally posted by genearch
XeetBMW330ci,

I hate to ask this pubically, but since you haven't answered your PM, I'll ask once more that you fix your signature picture.

Thank you for your cooperation.

GeneArch
ClubLexus
Super-Moderator & SC430 Forum Moderator
Oh sorry bro, I thought you got my response from the other thread. I will resize it tomorrow morning, as I am not on my own computer right now.
Old 11-27-02, 09:49 AM
Alex Labetti
Driver School Candidate

I am starting to believe all the negative press, I have owned my SC430 for Eight months and I am not at all happy with the ride.
After 12,000 miles I complained about noisy tires and a hard ride, the dealer said I needed new tires do to "Cupping". I ask why this would happen and they said out of balance tires but when I had them call up my records it showed they had rotated and maintained the tires as required. They agreed to pay
For two new tires and I am paying for two. They tried to charge me enough for two to cover all four but when I should them the
How much Tire Rack .com wanted that greatly reduced the price.
Also after reading about the Suspension problems on Club Lexus
They are now changing the rear bushings. But I had to bring it up even though there was a bulletin from Lexus.
Needless to say I am not happy with the Lexus dealer.
Lawrence Lexus in New Jersey!
I am getting the car back today with Goodyear tires I had the Bridgestone, they now recomend Dunlop but there is a two month back order, I checked at tirerack.
If its not right I will be trading it in for something I feel better about.
Old 11-27-02, 03:15 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Hey XEETBMW330ci,

Re: being informed before making a comment, I looked at M3's in July of this year. None of the owners on the BMW message boards seemed to know why their engines had blown up, and it was actually a BMW dealer who'd been in the business for years who told me it was the SMG transmission that was causing it. Don't know how I could have been more informed than that.

Re: the 330ci, I owned a 2001 model for 3 months. Here are the reasons I traded:

-I went back to the dealership (different dealership from one above) to find out why the alarm system didn't work. The salesman couldn't tell me why. It took the sales manager to inform me, after I'd purchased, that (for $42K) it didn't have an alarm.

-The stereo was the worst I've ever heard. I asked the dealer if the Harmon-Kardon upgrade would make a difference. He said no. He sent me to someone who does aftermarket installations on BMWs, Ferraris, Bentleys, etc. They upgraded the system, but it still had speed control that made the volume blast everytime I hit the accelerator. No one knew how to disconnect it, and the car was an Excedrine headache on wheels.

-The seats were extremely short. Found out later I could have gotten the sport package with bolsters but the salesman discouraged me from buying the sport package. Guess he needed to move the other model.

-Plastic parts (i.e. seat bolsters) were already starting to fall off after 3 months.

-I understand the spoiler wasn't original equipment, but I would expect if the dealer's own bodyshop installed it it would stay on the car.

So it was a combination of the car and the dealership. Don't get me wrong, the 330Ci is one of the most classically beautiful cars on the road, inside and out, and a great drive. It just wasn't for me. I traded for a GS300.

For you and Ceboyd, the reason I prefer AWD is because it rains in So. Florida from April to October (read monsoon), and driving w/ AWD is like driving on dry pavement. In fact, driving w/ Quattro is like nothing else. Too bad Audi service sucks.
Old 11-27-02, 05:33 PM
XeetBMW330ci
Rookie

Sorry to hear about your misfortune man. Your dealer must have been pretty bunk. I have had the pleasure of purchasing from the 4th highest rated BMW dealer in costumer service (Sharpe BMW in Grand Rapids, MI). My car is solid too, no broken parts or problems that you speak of (had it for about a year now).

But, it's all in what you want I guess. The GS400 is a lot different than the 330ci, but good choice!

Quick Reply: London Times Reviewer gives sc430 1 star