SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

lucky bastard RIP opinions

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-12, 03:29 PM
KaiserSea1
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default lucky bastard RIP opinions

Well we had a near hurricane in Florida and LB ran through a puddle, nothing too deep but the computer shorted out causing her to over heat and kill the engine. Lexus has her now and they are sending a corporate inspector. My guess is if it goes to auto insurance the parts to be replaced will total her. Do you all think Lexus will cover it. After all a car should survive minimal water on paved roads.
Old 08-29-12, 03:35 PM
KaiserSea1
Lead Lap

Forgot to mention still covered By Lexus platinum warrantee
Old 08-29-12, 03:40 PM
Scarletti
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry to hear that.

If they do write it off clearly they will just give you book value with no recompense for all the hard work/mods you've done... bummer!

However if they do scrap it, make the insurance company a low-ball offer for it (so you can cannibalise it) and source yourself another SC.

Good luck!
Old 08-29-12, 04:21 PM
KaiserSea1
Lead Lap

Might not be as bad as they originally thought.they are saying it needs a new short block and radiator. How bad is that?
Old 08-29-12, 05:17 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Does not sound too good - needs a short block means it needs the entire engine assembly below the heads(minus oil pan).
Old 08-29-12, 05:18 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

03 SC wholesale value is probably $12-15K so they may have to repair it - repairs could be $5-10k range....just guessing of course.

Very sorry to hear about your bad luck. Hope if works out for you. Sounds like you made a very wise choice in keeping the extended warranty in place but you should also be able to claim against regular car insurance with accidental flooding.

Instead of totaling the car and having it scrapped you could ask insurance for what they would give you as a settlement if you keep the car and pay for repairs with your own $. You might come out ahead of the insurance totaling it and you have to try to replace it with a pretty small settlement check.

Last edited by Jabberwock; 08-29-12 at 05:27 PM.
Old 08-30-12, 10:18 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

Sorry to hear that KaiserSea. That is kind of concerning to hear that our cars are that vulnerable to a little water. Growing up in Houston, driving through water was a common occurance.

I hope everything turns out well for you and LB can be fixed up.
Old 09-03-12, 06:48 AM
KaiserSea1
Lead Lap

Just an update seems the damage to LB was due to a hole in the radiator followed by a failure of the temperature gauge and idiot light. Lexus claims my warranty does not cover overheat damage. No such exclusion in my paperwork so Lexus is sending me additional exclusions three years after the warranty. AS a lawyer I am not worried about getting them to pay but it is going to be a lot of work. Warning to all.

Last edited by KaiserSea1; 09-03-12 at 06:51 AM.
Old 09-03-12, 07:30 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

While that is a bummer, it is not terribly surprising since they could easily claim that it is the owner's responsibility to keep the car in good repair. Nevermind the point that you probably had no way of knowing that there was a problem...

It sounds like all of us with the older models need to be vigilent about checking for water leaks.
Old 09-03-12, 07:34 AM
VVTiBob

Received 265 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by KaiserSea1
Just an update seems the damage to LB was due to a hole in the radiator followed by a failure of the temperature gauge and idiot light. Lexus claims my warranty does not cover overheat damage. No such exclusion in my paperwork so Lexus is sending me additional exclusions three years after the warranty. AS a lawyer I am not worried about getting them to pay but it is going to be a lot of work. Warning to all.
"additional exclusions" HUH? Just another sign of the times we are in. ...when contacts have no, or little meaning. Sounds like Lexus Corporate is willing to spend more time and effort to defend their breech than the ultimate cost of repair. Is this the "Relentless Pursuit of Perfection" we hear so much about? I will be very interested In seeing their "new exclusions" or how they interpret non coverage from the existing ones. Sounds like some shortsighted pencil pushing fiscal bureaucrat who isn't looking at the big picture. The real question is; How much will their bad faith end up costing their dealers once the word gets out that they believe they can retroactively add made up exclusions to their own CPO warranty program. Is this what and how Corporate want the relentless pursuit of perfection to be seen?
Please keep us updated.
Old 09-03-12, 07:42 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Come on Bob, tell us what you really think!
Old 09-03-12, 08:24 AM
VVTiBob

Received 265 Likes on 201 Posts

Oh I don't know...I was pretty calm as I was typing out my thoughts. Ones, I pray, are thought by others who read this thread.

The idea that "additional exclusions" can be added retroactively to an executed contract is not only wrong, if a court would rule in favor of the warrantor under the circumstances described, it only leads to chaos. Insurance Contacts would have no meaning if they can be altered by one party if claim is presented.

But what potentially bothers me more...is there a rogue employee, or group, just making this stuff up to avoid paying claims? Many are not as legally sophisticated as our OP. How many would just except the denial of a valid claim just because they did not understand their legal rights under the warranty?
Old 09-03-12, 08:34 AM
Scarletti
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

+1 for hearing the details on the "scam" they tried to pull on you.
Old 09-03-12, 08:53 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

I have to admit Bob, you did keep it fairly civil.
Old 09-03-12, 12:12 PM
jzwu
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think this kind damage should be covered by insurance, not warranty.

Quick Reply: lucky bastard RIP opinions