SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

2006 SC430 Radiator broke, engine ruined

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-12, 07:38 AM
Options2k
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Liquid SC
You'll find the complete schedule for all maintenance on Lexus's website.
I checked and found the recommended service by mileage. Where can I find the recommended service by age?

Thanks.
Old 08-25-12, 08:12 AM
SlvBullet
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Options2k
I checked and found the recommended service by mileage. Where can I find the recommended service by age?

Thanks.
Lexus doesn't mention an age requirement but rubber and oils also degrade over time. My sevice shop told me (yes conflict of interest) that there was a timing belt recommenation for 8 years. I checked with timing belt manufacturers and their informations says 6 years. If you look at the information about different fluids they also have age recommendations. Extreme weather (hot to cold) and a lot of stop and go driving is harder on the belts than constant temperature and highway driving.

In my case where I live has goes from snow to very hot and most of my driving is stop and go. Also I am going to the track to do some road courses. For the track they want the brake fluid changed within the last year - mine had never been changed. I drive about 5k milers per year and have 55k now. So if I waited for the 90k service, the belts and fluids would be over 14 years old.

So it made sense to me to be conservative.

For a 2006 with 46k you should be fine but keep it mind as your car gets older. Take home message - it is not only about mileage.

Also note that warranties are also typically age or miles whichever come first.
Old 08-25-12, 08:34 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

The timing belt replacement time has always been somewhat controversial here on the forum. The earlier models stated that it should be replaced every 6 or 7 years (I forget which) and the later models stated 9 years. Now whether that was because they learned more about the longevity of the belt after the first few years or it was because new material came out that lasted longer, we don't know.

So the take away is, if your car is a '03 or older, replace the belt. If it is younger, it is mileage or your choice. Some folks sleep better knowing that their timing belt has been taken care of.
Old 08-25-12, 11:34 AM
DPRSupra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i just got done replacing the motor in my sc430...small crack in the top of the radiator...same situation car shut off coasted to the side of the road...towed to Lexus. My gs430 (about same mileage 140k) had a small crack in the radiator as well, same spot. had that replaced, but for the sc it was too late.

sorry to hear
Old 08-25-12, 01:33 PM
huy33
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Habious
Matthias,

If you're taking it to a Lexus dealership, I think you should budget around $1,200.00 or so to do JUST the timing belt.

However, it's one of those things that, since you're already in there, and you already have things torn apart, it just makes sense to replace the water pump at the same time.

I had my 2003 in for the 90K service not long ago - the timing belt, water pump, the other "90K service" items and a few other odds-and-ends set me back about $2,200.00.
$2200 for the 90k service. Holy... I know 90k is a big one and I want it done right so I'm going to start saving.
Old 11-05-13, 09:10 AM
Lexus62
Driver School Candidate

Default Close call.

Not sure if I made a post regarding my visit to Toyota in 2011. Lexus was an hour away. Vehicle had ran hot with no sign from the dash gauge. Toyota took the car apart a woman called said OH its bad, I thought great. She told me it was my throttle body, water pump, timing belt, thermostat and it would be $2700.00 for the repair.. NOT to drive it off their lot.
I called Lexus explain what was going on with the car and right away told ...its okay. It is NOT your throttle body. Vehicle had plenty of power, only ran hot.This was 30,000 miles ago. I now have 94,000 on my 2002 SC430.
Lately noticed a whipping sound, so I am thinking a belt. Maybe timing. :Last week I noticed the smell of steam as I got out. So becoming paranoid and certain I needed to replace my timing belt I called over the weekend made an appt. Boss says take it to some local which is not going to happen, or Toyota which we already know that answer. I did call so I could see their prices.. $850.00 vs $1000 .. Willing to pay the difference for Lexus. So I called my friends at Lexus of Mobile. Made the appointment. Still in the area they called said it was my radiator had a slight crack which will be an additional $500.00. I took the vehicle over with having the timing belt and water pump replaced which was $1000. Overall I am pleased so far, I am pleased after reading this guys dilemma I made the right call. This seems like it could have been myself. Thanks guys for all your posts.
Old 11-05-13, 10:40 AM
momssc
Driver

Originally Posted by lexus62
not sure if i made a post regarding my visit to toyota in 2011. Lexus was an hour away. Vehicle had ran hot with no sign from the dash gauge. Toyota took the car apart a woman called said oh its bad, i thought great. She told me it was my throttle body, water pump, timing belt, thermostat and it would be $2700.00 for the repair.. Not to drive it off their lot.
I called lexus explain what was going on with the car and right away told ...its okay. It is not your throttle body. Vehicle had plenty of power, only ran hot.this was 30,000 miles ago. I now have 94,000 on my 2002 sc430.
Lately noticed a whipping sound, so i am thinking a belt. Maybe timing. :last week i noticed the smell of steam as i got out. So becoming paranoid and certain i needed to replace my timing belt i called over the weekend made an appt. Boss says take it to some local which is not going to happen, or toyota which we already know that answer. I did call so i could see their prices.. $850.00 vs $1000 .. Willing to pay the difference for lexus. So i called my friends at lexus of mobile. Made the appointment. Still in the area they called said it was my radiator had a slight crack which will be an additional $500.00. I took the vehicle over with having the timing belt and water pump replaced which was $1000. Overall i am pleased so far, i am pleased after reading this guys dilemma i made the right call. This seems like it could have been myself. Thanks guys for all your posts.

what?????????????????
Old 11-05-13, 11:12 AM
PATLESS
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lexus62
Not sure if I made a post regarding my visit to Toyota in 2011. Lexus was an hour away. Vehicle had ran hot with no sign from the dash gauge. Toyota took the car apart a woman called said OH its bad, I thought great. She told me it was my throttle body, water pump, timing belt, thermostat and it would be $2700.00 for the repair.. NOT to drive it off their lot.
I called Lexus explain what was going on with the car and right away told ...its okay. It is NOT your throttle body. Vehicle had plenty of power, only ran hot.This was 30,000 miles ago. I now have 94,000 on my 2002 SC430.
Lately noticed a whipping sound, so I am thinking a belt. Maybe timing. :Last week I noticed the smell of steam as I got out. So becoming paranoid and certain I needed to replace my timing belt I called over the weekend made an appt. Boss says take it to some local which is not going to happen, or Toyota which we already know that answer. I did call so I could see their prices.. $850.00 vs $1000 .. Willing to pay the difference for Lexus. So I called my friends at Lexus of Mobile. Made the appointment. Still in the area they called said it was my radiator had a slight crack which will be an additional $500.00. I took the vehicle over with having the timing belt and water pump replaced which was $1000. Overall I am pleased so far, I am pleased after reading this guys dilemma I made the right call. This seems like it could have been myself. Thanks guys for all your posts.
Very confusing post
Old 11-09-13, 08:01 AM
sorka
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by stasis3131
I swore I read some where that the sc430 motor has one of the strongest belts you can put on a car. Not saying it is indestructible but I thought it could go a bit past the schedule. My buddy bought his at 85k drove it to 195k in 3 years then changed his belts and water pump and his belt was still intact but worn.

Gonna check my Lexus vin to see what services where done before I got it. I was told the belt and pump was changed 8k ago but never verified it. I better check to be safe
I did my first timing belt change at 280K miles on our SC400. We bought the car at 69K miles and don't know if it was previously changed. I changed it myself (about 4 hours) along with the crank and cam seals, and water pump.

Amazingly, the belt looked brand new. No signs of wear. It was almost impossible to tell it from the new Toyota belt going back on. That SC now has 330K miles on it. My SC430 has 21K miles
Old 06-23-15, 10:04 PM
degmla
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I was traveling on the freeway last week when I noticed my engine light came on and then suddenly the car lost power. I put it into neutral and coasted to the side of the rode. I then noticed that steam was coming from the driver’s side of the hood. When I pulled over I got out and lifted the hood and saw that the small hose off the neck of the radiator had been blown off. The small plastic piece on the neck of the radiator just below the cap was in strips and the small hose that leads to the reservoir was detached. I had it towed to my mechanic and he thought it just needed a new radiator. He started working on it the next morning and wanted to check the compression in the engine. He thought it might have jumped time and with further investigation he found that the timing belt broke and it had bent some valves. Unbelievable! This is a '06 SC430 with just under 100,000 miles. I have never seen anything like this. I think the computer shut the engine down while I was driving and caused this engine damage.

Has anyone ever experienced anything close to this?
Yes. Just happened on my wife's 2004 LX470. Well, everything except the overflow hose of the radiator blowing off. Somehow she lost coolant and keep driving until she eventually failed the timing belt. I failed to train her to watch the coolant temperature gauge. Especially when she describes what happened "well, first, the AC stopped working, and the check engine light came on. And, then it felt like I was losing a little power. And then the engine died and I coasted into a picnic area. All this occurred over a 15-20 minute period."

Looks like this thread went into left field with a bunch of discussion about the timing belt. Good discussion, but off topic? Our timing belt had about 60k miles on its run. The timing belt break was not the initiating event. Loss of cooling led to overheating, likely head warping, eventual failure of the belt, probably based on water pump freezing up?

Moral of the story: losing cooling on these engines can be catastrophic.

Even though this happened to our LX, we also have a 2002 SC430, 2002 IS300 SX, 1999 GS400. They are all similar design. If anything, I'd think the LX would be the most robust.

Currently shopping to buy all new radiator caps for my vehicles. A $20 part likely the culprit.
Old 06-24-15, 01:54 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 855 Likes on 688 Posts

Several names on here that I have never seen before...they either became bored and stopped posting, sold their SCs or well, you know, moved on to the big SC race track in the Sky! ;-)

So seriously, I guess we need to make sure the radiator cap is replaced periodically. But how often?

Degmla, why did the overflow hose blow off? Please provide more information...

Mademedoit, nice story! I too can remember overheating a few old cars in my time...I even had some that you would, fill the oil and check the gas! ;-)

Last edited by Bgw70; 06-24-15 at 02:00 AM.
Old 06-24-15, 12:51 PM
SlvBullet
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There is also several comments about crack in the radiator top. Does anyone have more details or a picture? I supposed keeping the cap, thermistat maintained, and inspecting the radiator for cracks should be part of the routine.
Old 06-24-15, 02:51 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

Just keep an eye out for the tale tale sign of red fluid on the pavement or splatter around the engine. Once that occurs, you know to look for bad caps, leaking hoses or a cracked radiator (or on occasion, a leaking water pump). They rarely completely "break water". If you ever see the temperature gauge going up, pull over and check it out. Periodically check the radiator fluid level, just to be safe.

Last edited by Harold57; 07-01-15 at 04:22 PM. Reason: Corrected radiator fluid color.
Old 06-24-15, 04:47 PM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by mademedoit
If you do need to change out the rad it is super easy just look here...

The whole thing can come out with minimal effort. Mine was already changed out when I bought it. Its a koyo rad.
This is a good reminder of how easy to replace the timing belt, of which the 1st step is to remove the radiator! I am slowly but surely getting there. And utube has a nice tutorial of our engines timing belt replacement. Only thing am missing is a thermostat which did not come with my Aisin kit.
Old 06-30-15, 08:46 PM
degmla
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by degmla
Well, everything except the overflow hose of the radiator blowing off.
Bgw70, sorry if I was confusing. I intended the word "except" to apply to the hose thing. Not sure what the initiating event was. For all I know, it may have been full of coolant, but the water pump bearings froze up? I doubt that is the scenario. I just don't know since the vehicle is still 600 miles away and I have yet to see it.

Quick Reply: 2006 SC430 Radiator broke, engine ruined