SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Roof Liner Removal

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-12, 06:00 AM
harleydjce
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Roof Liner Removal

Has anyone had any experience removing the roof liner from an SC430?

I received a small ding in the roof from a falling object. The paint is undamaged and I suspect I can have the dent pushed out by a paintless dent removal place.

Thoughts anyone?
Old 08-12-12, 07:39 AM
VVTiBob

Received 265 Likes on 201 Posts

Depending on where the dent is...there are portions of the roof that have a double wall design for strength. Like a double bottom hull design so you may not be able to reach it. IF we're talking about the very large top portion of the roof.
Regarding getting to it from the inside. There are two side rail trim garnish pieces retained by four pressure type clips, one at each end, the other two within an inch or two of the hinge pivot point (on each side). You'll need a plastic pry tool or a TAPED screwdriver to work the side rail trim off.
The headliner is held in place by five(5) button style retaining clips and three(3) hidden pressure clips. The first three button clips are spaced across the leading vertical surface when the roof meets the "A" pilar crossmember above the windscreen. The other two were hidden under the side rail trim garnish just forward of the hinge connector point. You should see a headliner tab where the clip is attached on each side.
The three hidden pressure clips are along the back edge (closest to the rear window) one almost dead center, the other two spaced out in thirds across the inside span. Finally don't forget the service hole cover, for manual roof operation. I'd take it off so it does pop off during all that flexing and somehow gets lost. Speaking of flexing .... You want to make sure the headliner doesn't flex too much, causing a bend and/or crease...just wouldn't look right afterwards.

Last edited by VVTiBob; 08-12-12 at 07:43 AM.
Old 08-12-12, 03:43 PM
bb430
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The dent guy can do a dent "pull" from the top of the dent. No need to remove anything from behind the dent. I have seen it done and turned out perfect. Ask you dent guy, he should know how.
Old 08-13-12, 05:06 AM
harleydjce
Lead Lap

Thanks Bob and BB. I use a pretty good bunch of PDR guys who have looked after my vehicles for years so I will take it to them as usual.

Really appreciated guys.
Old 10-10-12, 09:21 PM
harleydjce
Lead Lap

Just an update. I managed to get this repaired by a great PDR but I was very lucky. The roof is bonded to structural supports and there are no access holes. There was a small wiring room running across the roof and removal of the wiring clip provided access for around 1.5 inches from the hole the clip was in. This enabled my PDR guy to fix the dent but if it had been any further away........