SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Tire Replacment

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-12, 04:25 PM
bobster99
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tire Replacment

So I bought a 2002 SC back in 2010 pretty much needing tires and I just never got around to replacing them. Today I got the idea that maybe if I rotated the tires... I know they rotate when I drive , that I might be able to eek a bit more life out of them. This is when I noticed that my rear tires had a bit of extra traction now because the cords were showing... Ok, now I really have to get new tires.

I normally hit Tire Rack but I looked at Discount Tire Direct and I found a 60K tire (I want smooth ride and longevity in tires, not high-speed performance) for $144 with free shipping... I was like WTF??? if I would have thought that I could get tires for less than $200 each I would have done this years ago.

The tires are Falken Azenis PT-722. I know that I had a set of Falkens on my Mr2 years ago and they seemed fine. Any thoughts, suggestions?

On a different note, my Tire Sensors are dead from age and I can get a set of OEM Lexus ones from a reasonably close dealer (off eBay) for $344. Suggestions? I don't have a spare and since I am keeping the car pretty much forever, I still have the Allante I bought in 1990 I guess this is a reasonable investment... any better suggestions

Thanks in advance.

Bob
Old 07-08-12, 04:42 AM
Jefff1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great questions Bob as I'm looking for answers to these two myself...Plenty of experience on this site
Old 07-08-12, 05:57 AM
VVTiBob

Received 265 Likes on 201 Posts

If you want to stay with the OEM TPMS then the price isn't bad but you will need to go to a dealer Toyt or Lexus to have them programmed to your car and that means labor charges. (See/read the TSB PDFs in post #113 of this thread on disabling the TPMS system)

You may want to consider newer generic technology where the sensor come with there own LCD display with a graphic representing each tire and the its current pressure. Something the OEM system doesn't do. Other members have discussed them in other threads.

Besides their digital ID which can read when being programmed, the OEM sensors are also color coded. If the ones offered on eBay are not, or not all four colors then you'll run into problems. Battery life, especially in warmer climates is around 10 years, or so Lexus claims...mine are going on twelve and still going (keeping my fingers crossed for typing that).
Old 07-08-12, 06:05 AM
VVTiBob

Received 265 Likes on 201 Posts

Regarding the tires ...you'll find all sorts of opinions if you use the search tool, maybe there's one for that exact tire.
Regarding unusual wear patterns ... There are a ton of threads about alignment, more specifically camber issues with the suspension, too. I'd suggest using the Advanced Search tool and search in the SC430 forum on keyword: camber. Then after a little due diligence, take the car in to a shop that knows what its doing on alignments.
Old 07-08-12, 09:22 AM
bobster99
Driver

Default Tires

Thanks for the advice and I will search the archives later but maybe these two questions will be easy for you to answer.

The rear tires wore a bit more on the inside but the difference was marginal. I have some tread left on the outer edge. This is why I thought that there was some life still left but looking straight on to the tire, 75% is completely bald with the cords just starting to pop on the inside.

What I am getting at is that the tires seemed to wear almost perfectly. Is it possible or even practical to change the alignment to get much better of a tire wear than that? I own a 1991 Mr2 Turbo and the factory specs eat rear tires but the Lexus is much kinder to rear tires than that car.

The front tires are edge worn a bit but nothing I would consider out of alignment.

As to the tire sensors, if I go with new OEM colored sensors do I need to have them programmed? I figure that the ECU would see the new sensors and not know they were different from the old sensors (the tire pressure ECU is currently unplugged).

I discussed aftermarket tire sensors with the LCD screen with a guy from Tire Rack, his response... "We don't carry them anymore and there is a reason... " I would rather save the money and have a LCD screen but his response seemed to speak volumes.
Old 07-08-12, 09:26 AM
bobster99
Driver

Another question, is there a consensus out there as to up-sizing the tires? I am upgrading to stock 2007 SC 430 rims so I am not planning on changing rim size or spec but if it would make sense to go to a bigger tire size I would like to know.

Thanks

Bob
Old 07-08-12, 10:37 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

If your tires are wearing that well, I'm not sure that I'd mess with it and risk messing it up. The tires on the SC430 typically wear on the inside enough to take the tires out of commission in less than 20kmi.

If you have new TSPs installed, you will need to have the ECU configured to accept the new sensor IDs.

With regards to increasing the tire size without changing the rims, are you referring to taller tires or wider tires? Wider tires would likely be a problem with the OEM rims and taller tires will negatively affect the turning (cornering) performance, though likely make a softer and more cushioned ride. (Taller tires may look a bit funky also.)
Old 07-08-12, 12:50 PM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by bobster99
So I bought a 2002 SC back in 2010 pretty much needing tires and I just never got around to replacing them. Today I got the idea that maybe if I rotated the tires... I know they rotate when I drive , that I might be able to eek a bit more life out of them. This is when I noticed that my rear tires had a bit of extra traction now because the cords were showing... Ok, now I really have to get new tires.

I normally hit Tire Rack but I looked at Discount Tire Direct and I found a 60K tire (I want smooth ride and longevity in tires, not high-speed performance) for $144 with free shipping... I was like WTF??? if I would have thought that I could get tires for less than $200 each I would have done this years ago.

The tires are Falken Azenis PT-722. I know that I had a set of Falkens on my Mr2 years ago and they seemed fine. Any thoughts, suggestions?

On a different note, my Tire Sensors are dead from age and I can get a set of OEM Lexus ones from a reasonably close dealer (off eBay) for $344. Suggestions? I don't have a spare and since I am keeping the car pretty much forever, I still have the Allante I bought in 1990 I guess this is a reasonable investment... any better suggestions

Thanks in advance.

Bob

Discount Tire Direct and I found a 60K tire (I want smooth ride and longevity in tires, not high-speed performance) for $144 with free shipping..

$144/tire is for the tire and you will have to get them mounted right?

How much is the mounting, balancing, road hazard, etc?
Old 07-09-12, 10:34 AM
bobster99
Driver

To mount them at my local Tire Kingdom I am looking at $13.99 each. There may be some other fees but since I was looking at almost $1000 for something Tire Kingdom said was comparable I am not so worried about the fees.

I just ordered the tires for $576 and the salesman there said that his Manager is running on a set of these tires and has nothing but good things to say about them

I am usually a Tire Rack guy but when I called there they didn't even try to compete with the price that Discount Tire Direct was offering.
Old 07-09-12, 10:35 AM
bobster99
Driver

Thanks, I kind of figured that I should leave well enough alone but it is nice to get confirmation

Bob
Old 07-19-12, 12:56 PM
ArgylesLF
Driver School Candidate

Default Tire Replacment

I just replaced my RFT with 245/40ZR-18 General G-MAX AS-03 $148.00 each at Tire Rack had them mounted at Firestone Auto Center I had the lifetime guaranty four wheel alignement and now finaly I'm enjoying a great ride, I'm looking to buy a used space saver spare tire.
Old 07-19-12, 04:40 PM
Rookie

Default Whew!!!

Oh boy...I need a translator for this thread. Just shows me how deep the water is here in "SC 430 Land!"

Mike