SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Parking sensor failure

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-12, 08:50 PM
talwang

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

They more likely have a different parking sensor system for the European market or somewhere else if the one your sc has is oem.
I only know the JDM one comes with a set of 4 sensors with a display unit.
Old 06-27-12, 12:31 AM
Mandel73
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WIL44
Hi Mandel

I have rear parking sensors on my SC and as far as I am aware they were OEM in the UK. I have no display just an increasing 'beep' the closer you get to another vehicle, wall etc.
Can't help you with fuse location, sorry.

Best regards
Steve

Steve, I have the same system. 4 front sensors and 4 rear sensors with no display and increasing sound.
Exactly the same as in my Avensis and my Rav4

Tried to find the fuse and the only "odd" thing I can find is a black box mounted in the chassi next to the battery. On the top saying made in Italy, since this car is imported from italy maybe this is the "heart" of the parking assist system?!
I will take a closer look at it this weekend.
Old 07-03-12, 12:02 PM
Mandel73
Driver School Candidate

Ok, so I am now 100% sure it´s an aftermarket addition, by Gemel Italia.
I opened everything up and looked for something that didn't look like Lexus original and I found a black small box with some odd wirings. I disconnected the wirings and front sensors went quiet.
Yippie!!!
Rear ones still beep as they should and the nicest part is that the sound from them only comes in rear speakers. Nice little feature!

What to do with the front ones....hm....winter project....right now I want to focus on driving my wonderful car!!!
Old 07-04-12, 10:02 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

That's good news Mandel. You've narrowed the problem down to a specific area and even found the equipment. You might be able to find the manual for the sensors on the web now that you know the manufacturer and there is probably a model number on the box. It might be fairly simple after that.

How many wires were involved? Do each of the sensors have their own cable that comes into the box? If so, you might be able to reconnect them one by one until you find the bad one, if it is a sensor that has gone bad.
Old 07-05-12, 12:00 AM
Mandel73
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Harold57
That's good news Mandel. You've narrowed the problem down to a specific area and even found the equipment. You might be able to find the manual for the sensors on the web now that you know the manufacturer and there is probably a model number on the box. It might be fairly simple after that.

How many wires were involved? Do each of the sensors have their own cable that comes into the box? If so, you might be able to reconnect them one by one until you find the bad one, if it is a sensor that has gone bad.
Harold, each sensor have their own cable so it should be no problem identify and replace the bad one....I hope
But as I said that will be now of my winter projects.

More urgent is to repair my speakers, it seems like I have the same problem with my front speakers as many others here on the forum. Found some really nice threads about how to repair the speakers so I will make a try.

Thank you for help and support during my parking sensor problem.