SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

'02 Stereo Speakers and Sirius Radio Installation: Success!

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-12, 01:46 PM
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation '02 Stereo Speakers and Sirius Radio Installation: Success!

When I purchased my '02 a few months ago I knew that the 6x9 door woofers were blown, but [***]umed that there would be a easy aftermarket fixed. I also wanted--no, needed Sirius radio installed. With the help of members on this forum here's the solution I came up with and the costs involved. I should note that I used a high-end stereo retailer/installation outfit here in Sacramento, California, so I suspect that I paid a premium there.

1) Speakers. The 8 ohm specification for the 6X9's in the ML system posed a bit of a problem. I didn't want to pay for new ones, so after reading a few posts on speaker repair, and receiving psychological counseling from WTiBob, I decided to go that way. I'm a real dummy with doing things like tying my shoes, so I didn't even think about doing it myself. Repairing two speakers cost $180.

2) Sirius. Having Sirius installed in my 2005 ES 330 was a snap. No so with the SC because of the lack of an unused auxiliary input plug. After whining on the forum about my plight, Habious suggested visiting www.vaistech.com and checking out the SL2u audio interface there. Cost: $150. Labor for install: 150.

I saw a Sirius installation on this forum that had the receiver in the ashtray, and really liked that idea. Cost: $230. Labor: $150.

Total: $480.

Evaluation. Trying to strike a balance between price and result can be a challenge, but I'm very pleased with the result! The ML system is, indeed a premium sound system, and it now sounds absolutely beautiful. I was beginning to doubt the value/wisdom of the ML system with its odd ohm requirements, but I'm sold. I could have put in more goodies, but I had other issues to deal with..like paying the mortgage and feeding the wife and kids.

All-in-all:

Thanks to everyone who helped out along the way!

Mike

Here are the photos: The SL2u audio interface is integrated into the ML system and the ash tray cover closes. Now you see it...now you don't. '02 Stereo Speakers and Sirius Radio Installation:  Success!-sirius_receiver_tray_front.jpg

'02 Stereo Speakers and Sirius Radio Installation:  Success!-sirius_receiver_tray_2.jpg

'02 Stereo Speakers and Sirius Radio Installation:  Success!-sirius_receiver_tray.jpg

'02 Stereo Speakers and Sirius Radio Installation:  Success!-sirius_receiver_dash.jpg

Last edited by 73446; 06-30-12 at 09:14 PM. Reason: posting Photos
Old 06-23-12, 02:47 PM
A1Lexis
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad to hear you had a great install the vaistech unit is a great add on to our system with updated technology. It's an easy install but is more difficult than tying your shoes lol. I followed the DIY mandyfig posted on the speaker repair and the sound now is amazing. I only wish I had repaired them sooner. Truly night and day difference. Enjoy your tunes!!
Old 06-25-12, 05:41 AM
Habious

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Mike,

I'm glad that all is well in your ML World now!

Any chance we could talk you into some pictures of the Sat Radio in the ashtray?
Old 06-25-12, 06:22 PM
johnsfe
Rookie

Mike....glad to hear about your successful XM install. I too have to go through the process and may ask for tips later. But I, like you, am still in counseling sessions with Harold and V-Bob on ML amp issues...lol.

But it's encouraging to hear you are very happy with the outcome. Please post pics if you can.

Felicia
Old 06-27-12, 05:51 PM
Rookie

Talking Pics Coming Up!

Sure...I'll post the pics ASAP!
Old 06-30-12, 08:04 AM
Rookie

Default The Sirius Pics are Posted: See My First Post on Thread!

Thanks again to all members who gave advice and helped me along!
Old 06-30-12, 08:55 AM
Solman
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

If anyone else is going to do this and needs the VaisTech for an 02, PM me. I no longer have a use for mine since I replaced the ML with the Pioneer head unit.
Old 06-30-12, 11:07 AM
Rookie

Can you post a pic of the Pioneer head unit? What did it cost?

Mike
Old 06-30-12, 11:52 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by Solman
If anyone else is going to do this and needs the VaisTech for an 02, PM me. I no longer have a use for mine since I replaced the ML with the Pioneer head unit.
John, PM sent.
Old 06-30-12, 12:07 PM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by 73446
Thanks again to all members who gave advice and helped me along!
Please give us the model number of the radio. Where did you end up putting your antenna? And BTW how much is the subscription?

Thanks.
Old 06-30-12, 12:20 PM
Rookie

Default Comming up!

Originally Posted by mandyfig
Please give us the model number of the radio. Where did you end up putting your antenna? And BTW how much is the subscription?

Thanks.
Sure...I'll post that when I get home, today or tomorrow. I have that info in a file. As for the antenna, its on the passenger side just above the windshield. I'll post a pic of the "bug." The reception is great.

Mike
Old 06-30-12, 12:38 PM
JPBJR
Rookie

Solman-How much do you want for the Vais----? I assume it works for a 04. Thanks John Bradley
Old 06-30-12, 09:00 PM
johnsfe
Rookie

Mike ..... That looks hot! I am rereading the info you sent. I'm excited about how it looks.
Old 06-30-12, 09:11 PM
Rookie

Default Sirius Antenna pics

The Sirius is a "SCV1." I believe it also has video capabilities, but I purchased it for the size.

Sirius subscriptions are $175/year. Expensive, I know, but I had it in my ES 330, and I just can't stand commercials and chattering from over the air radio!

Here are two pics of the antenna, which is magnetically mounted over the windshield on the passenger side. My hand is in one pic to give you a better idea re: size. Maybe it's because I'm used to it, but I don't notice it on the car.

'02 Stereo Speakers and Sirius Radio Installation:  Success!-sirius_antenna_scale.jpg

'02 Stereo Speakers and Sirius Radio Installation:  Success!-sirius_antenna.jpg

Mike
Old 07-01-12, 04:27 AM
Jefff1
Driver School Candidate

Nicely done...I'm debating whether to add a Sirius unit in the ashtray or replace a now 9 year old head unit with the more up to date Pioneer unit....Yesterday was the first chance I had to listen to CD while driving as our 2003 just arrived late Thursday night...The sound seemed good and no buzzing from the speakers that I could tell.....We have a 4k mile road trip coming up in 3 weeks so I'm a fence straddler at the moment....

Quick Reply: '02 Stereo Speakers and Sirius Radio Installation: Success!