Spare Tire Without Killing Your Trunk Space

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-12, 02:45 PM
cadzilla88
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Spare Tire Without Killing Your Trunk Space

Originally Posted by Poqman
Now that you have your spare, you need to decide how you want to install it. I cut a base out of 3/8" plywood and wrapped it in material. Here's how it turned out.

I’ve been reading all of the threads about spare tires so credit goes to those before me who have posted their ideas, but I decided to take a new approach. As you can see in the photo above posted by Poqman, he did a nice job. Others have used the Dealer supplied option for almost $900. The problem is you loose most of the usable trunk space.

I got a Mazda RX-8 T125/70D17 spare for my Lexus SC430 for $100 but thought “Why didn’t the Lexus/Toyota designers do a better job of getting a spare to fit in the trunk of this beautiful car”? If you look at how it is supposed to be installed the spare eats up most of the usable room in the not so roomy trunk. They must have thought, “Problem solved. Let’s put run flat tires on the car then you won’t need a spare”. They took the easy way out.

I was going to install my new spare tire as designed but took a moment to actually look at the trunk configuration and constraints. First thing I did was remove the plastic tool tray from the base of the trunk.

There is actually a lot of room once that tray is removed.

Then I laid the spare tire in at an angle leaning forward and pulled the retractable roof guide over the spare to see if it would fit with the retractable roof in the open position.

As luck would have it the roof guide barely touched the spare. With the spare removed from the trunk I opened the roof into the trunk and checked to see how close the top actually came to the guide. There was about one inch of clearance. Miss by an inch miss by a mile as the saying goes.

I went to Lowes and bought a 24 X 36 rubber mat, a 3/8” X 6” long hook bolt, a 3/8” fender washer and wing nut to fit the bolt and a two pack of fabric tool packs all for about $40.

I cut the rubber mat in half and then cut it to fit in the base of the trunk to help with any rattles. Once half was cut I used it as a template on the other half to make a mirror image. I installed these in the trunk.

In the photo below is the right half of the rubber mat with the "J" hook on top. The notch in the bottom of the mat goes around the metal bracket in the trunk, so the bottom of the mat in the photo is actually the center line of the trunk. There are two small holes circled with chalk. These are for the bolt studs that hold down the original tool tray.

I straightened the hook bolt so that it was more in the shape of a “J”

This went into the hole in the metal bracket that originally held the jack base.

I put the jack and all of the tire tools into the two cloth bags and placed them in the center of the trunk above the center bracket under the spare.

You can see here the rubber mat is in place. I had to remove the rear trim panel so that the rubber mat edge would go under it. It is held in place by five small plastic inserts. You have to pry these out carefully. But first you have to remove the trim piece that goes along the top edge of the trunk sill. This pops out fairly easily by lifting and wiggling. Two of the metal hold down clips stayed in the slots when I removed mine. I removed these with plyers and slid them back onto the plastic tabs prior to reinstalling the sill trim. It just snaps back in place.

Then I installed the spare tire with the vinyl cover that came with it. This cover had a zipper down the middle which made tightening the wing nut on the “J” bolt very easy and easy to hide.

Next I cut a piece of thin plywood to fit around the spare tire to create a compartment under the floor to store jumper cables, extra serpentine belt, etc. I will probably cover this wood with carpet but it works for now.

I lowered the cars top to recheck the clearances. It is tight but it clears.

I put the original carpet back in the trunk and it looks like you still can fit a set of golf clubs back there along with the spare tire.

I wish the Lexus/Toyota designers had taken a little more time. I figured this out and installed it in 4 hours including the time to drive to Lowes to get the parts that I needed.

Last edited by cadzilla88; 05-14-12 at 08:25 AM. Reason: Added photos and descriptions.
Old 05-13-12, 05:20 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

Nice job Cadzilla88. Thanks for the pictures also.

Could you take pictures of the rubber mat and how it fit in? I wasn't quite clear on what you did with them.

I may have to think about your method. I have the Lexus spare tire kit with a Supra TT spare and you're right that it takes up way too much space.
Old 05-13-12, 05:28 PM
SteadyEddy
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Cadzilla88 way to go. That's thinking outside the box ( trunk). Fine job. Maybe you should package it . Start a side business. Just sayin. Job well done. I like it. I have a spare but didn't want to take up all the trunk space. So I keep it in storage in the garage and wait for a call from the wife that the tire is flat and I'll run it out, plus I have a compressor just in case. I'll have to rethink carrying the spare after seeing your great work.
Old 05-13-12, 05:41 PM
Poqman
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Sharing ideas is what this forum is all about. Job well done!. Like SteadyEddy, I leave the spare home 80% of the time and just carry the 12v compressor. The spare sits in the garage ready if I call my wife to bring it to me. As of date, never needed it.
Old 05-13-12, 06:33 PM
JPBJR
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unbelievable!!!! Thanks for sharing.
Old 05-13-12, 08:10 PM
sebtown
Driver

Great idea.
Old 05-13-12, 10:30 PM
lexie
Pole Position

thank you so very much for sharing your bright idea.

I'll definitely redo my spare tire set up.
Old 05-14-12, 04:06 AM
cadzilla88
Rookie

Originally Posted by Harold57
Nice job Cadzilla88. Thanks for the pictures also.

Could you take pictures of the rubber mat and how it fit in? I wasn't quite clear on what you did with them.
Thanks everyone for your comments. I have edited the proceedure above and added some photos and information. I will continue to refine the description as needed in the original post verses quoting it with changes. That way you don't have to gleen bits and pieces from each revision.

Please, please, please take care if you do this. My spare is a T125/70D17. Make absolutely certain that your spare does not protrude into the space needed by your cars top. I would hate it if someone damaged their car by trying this with a larger spare. Proceed cautiously. The first time I lowered the top I got it about 3/4 of the way open and let gravity lower the roof the rest of the way just to make sure everything cleared. I also reserved the celebratory beer for when I was finished.

Last edited by cadzilla88; 05-14-12 at 04:11 AM.
Old 05-14-12, 04:48 AM
barncat
Lead Lap

I was waiting to see what the old heads had to say. Looks like you may have a winner! Congrats and thanks for sharing with us.!
Old 05-14-12, 06:05 AM
tfischer

Received 192 Likes on 145 Posts

That is an excellent idea; thanks for the well thought out plan and the illustrated full report.
Old 05-14-12, 09:38 AM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Very clever! I'm also pretty impressed that you carry an extra serpentine belt.
Old 05-14-12, 10:32 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by cadzilla88
Thanks everyone for your comments. I have edited the proceedure above and added some photos and information. I will continue to refine the description as needed in the original post verses quoting it with changes. That way you don't have to gleen bits and pieces from each revision.

Please, please, please take care if you do this. My spare is a T125/70D17. Make absolutely certain that your spare does not protrude into the space needed by your cars top. I would hate it if someone damaged their car by trying this with a larger spare. Proceed cautiously. The first time I lowered the top I got it about 3/4 of the way open and let gravity lower the roof the rest of the way just to make sure everything cleared. I also reserved the celebratory beer for when I was finished.
Yes, it is very important to check out the fit first. Keep in mind that the RX8 spare tire is smaller than the SC430 or Supra TT spare tire. I suspect that the standard Toyota/Lexus spare tire will not fit in this configuration and it will require the smaller RX8 spare to make it work.
Old 05-15-12, 04:29 AM
cadzilla88
Rookie

Originally Posted by JohnnyCake
Very clever! I'm also pretty impressed that you carry an extra serpentine belt.
When ever I change belts I keep the old one in the trunk. Always have, always will.

I had a 1998 Plymouth Voyager (need I say more) that would throw a belt every 6 months or so. First thing I did on that car (as I did on my SC430) was to buy and install a new belt. Then I put the used one in the trunk. When the plymouth threw a belt the first time I returned the shreaded on for replacement plus I bought a new one as a spare to keep in the car. Autozone loved me because the serpentine belt I bought there had 3 year warranty and they would have to replace it every six months or so.

That car threw belts so often that I could install the new belt in about 5 minutes. I think the idler was slightly skewed. I even replaced the belt on the side of the road with one arm in a cast.

That car is long gone (thank God) and I hope I never have to change a belt on the side of the road again. But if I do, I know that I have one in the trunk good enough to get me home.
Old 05-16-12, 12:05 PM
WIL44
Instructor

Received 86 Likes on 46 Posts

Fantastic idea Cadzilla and brilliant DIY.

Now, could you work out how I can fit one in mine, please? lol.

Best regards
Steve
Attached Thumbnails Spare Tire Without Killing Your Trunk Space-img-20120415-00394.jpg  
Old 05-16-12, 12:30 PM
bacardi
Lead Lap

steve
i think you need a rack on the roof and tire will need to fold up.

Quick Reply: Spare Tire Without Killing Your Trunk Space