SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Is Dealer service a complete waste of money?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-12, 06:56 AM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Is Dealer service a complete waste of money?

There is something comforting about having the dealer do my routine service. I know that it is not the first SC that the mechanic has seen. It's always easier doing something the second time (or 10,000th time) then the first time. So I'm pretty confident that the dealer mechanic is probably not going to screw anything up. Taking it elsewhere and maybe it is the first time the mechanic has seen an SC (low production vehicle) or even if they have some experience, its not likely to be much.

OTOH, this is not exactly rocket science. The dealer quotes $400 for 75,000 mile service, which seems to be a glorified oil change. Am I wrong or are all of these entries pretty bogus, with the possible exception of re-torquing the flange bolts (how important is that)?

Replace engine oil & oil filter; reset reminder light
Re-torque axle shaft flange bolts
Re-torque drive shaft flange bolts
Road test vehicle
Inspect axle shaft boots
Inspect ball joints and dust covers
Inspect body
Inspect body/chassis
Inspect brake lines and hoses
Inspect brake linings/drums and brake pads/discs
Inspect drive belt(s)
Inspect drive shaft boots
Inspect engine air filter
Inspect engine coolant
Inspect exhaust pipes and mounting
Inspect rack and pinion steering assembly
Inspect rear differential oil
Inspect steering linkage and boots
Install BG MOA Oil Additive
Nitrogen upgrade for tires
Top off all underhood fluids
Visually inspect brake pads and rotors
Estimate: $398.95
Old 03-20-12, 07:26 AM
jasone36
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm no expert, but it seems to be you won't be even getting synthetic oil for the $400 price tag. It seems like you'd be paying for them to let you know if they happen to notice anything "out of whack" while performing the oil change. Realistically, you know the mechanics are pressed for time, the last thing they want to be doing is spending time "inspecting" things unless they know they can get big dollar amounts from you for the repair. A lot of high end automakers have the same "inspect and check" concept.

I would use the dealer only for things which cannot be done anywhere else, like programming keys, programming daytime running lights, etc. Everythign else I think a good import mechanic can handle for 1/3rd of the price.
Old 03-20-12, 07:59 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

I only go to the dealer when it is absolutely the last option. I do let them do my oil change filter and state inspection . I have such low mileage the only factory thing I had to get done was the lower radiator tub developed a tiny leak so they replaced it. I am due for a brake flush coolant flush and trans flush . Iam going to find out how much they want for that. I am also concerned that they may use bulk purchased fluids bought in quanity . I would like to know what brands they use . If they cant answer it I might as well do it my self . I wish there was a luxury local shop that catered to higher end cards but did not charge Lexus shop prices .
The local jiffy lubes and firestone shops are quick change oil mills in my area
Old 03-20-12, 08:01 AM
Yes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Personally, I'd be comfortable letting Toyota perform the 75,000 mile service. It is a Toyota. And chances are it's not the first SC they've seen. My guess is they'll charge less than half.
Old 03-20-12, 08:14 AM
plmeeker
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

see if you can find an independant toyota/lexus shop in your area. like me, i opened my shop 8mo ago and i worked at the dealer for 18yrs. so if they specialize in lexus and toyota chances are they came form a dealer and will know what they are doing.. just my two cents.
Old 03-20-12, 10:28 AM
bacardi
Lead Lap

i also only go to the dealer when i have to. i have my own mechanic that i use with complete trust. what you payed 400.00 for, i would been charged 100.00 and got the same job. what you need is a very good mechanic you can trust. just my 02 cents.
Old 03-20-12, 11:42 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by bacardi
i also only go to the dealer when i have to. i have my own mechanic that i use with complete trust. what you payed 400.00 for, i would been charged 100.00 and got the same job. what you need is a very good mechanic you can trust. just my 02 cents.
I hear you the problem for me is. The local large gas station repair center has good people but they charge labor at dealership prices and they charge the jobs out according to what the labor book says not the actual labor. So because a mechanic is good and fast and takes 2 hours to do a 3 hour job they charge it out at 3 hours . Its a lose lose deal . I dont mind paying for good service and skills I just want to be treated fairly.
Old 03-20-12, 03:54 PM
mtnduc
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mrblister
because a mechanic is good and fast and takes 2 hours to do a 3 hour job they charge it out at 3 hours . .

You do realize that's how dealers make money don't you.
Ever wonder why all semi-intensive jobs take 4-6 hours? They don;t wnat you to wait and see your car done in 55mins then get teh bill fro 4-5hrs of labor.

I actually had that happen at an Audi/Porsche dealer and then took them to task on the billable hours vs actual hours. Said job would take 6-8 hours but had it dene in 3. Tried a BS "we had 3 mechanics working on it" line as well. Ended up saying lets go to court and see if the judge thinks its legal. They reduced the labor amount billed.

I actually worked in a Jag restoration shop for quite a while and i never saw more than one guy working on a parts on parts off job.
Old 03-21-12, 10:40 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

JohnnyCake,
That list sounds like about the average oil change list for places like Firestone. I'd bring the list in to them (or a similar type shop) and ask them to tell you what they already cover with an oil change and what it would cost to do the rest. I'm with you, $400 is outrageous for what little they are doing.
Old 03-11-13, 11:20 AM
sixonemale
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

I see this item over and over again in the service manual:

How important is having this done or not?
Old 03-11-13, 12:39 PM
kjcole
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

to answer the question of the topic:

Yes, but only if you have the skills needed to do the inspections and services yourself.
Old 03-11-13, 01:16 PM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

Take it to Toyota. Save some money.
Old 03-12-13, 07:06 AM
tofu
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mandyfig
Take it to Toyota. Save some money.
DIY and save even more
Old 03-12-13, 08:32 AM
lexuspcl88
Driver School Candidate

Arrow Dealer service to lexus,

Originally Posted by JohnnyCake
There is something comforting about having the dealer do my routine service. I know that it is not the first SC that the mechanic has seen. It's always easier doing something the second time (or 10,000th time) then the first time. So I'm pretty confident that the dealer mechanic is probably not going to screw anything up. Taking it elsewhere and maybe it is the first time the mechanic has seen an SC (low production vehicle) or even if they have some experience, its not likely to be much.

OTOH, this is not exactly rocket science. The dealer quotes $400 for 75,000 mile service, which seems to be a glorified oil change. Am I wrong or are all of these entries pretty bogus, with the possible exception of re-torquing the flange bolts (how important is that)?

Replace engine oil & oil filter; reset reminder light
Road test vehicle
Inspect axle shaft boots
Inspect ball joints and dust covers
Inspect body
Inspect body/chassis
Inspect brake lines and hoses
Inspect brake linings/drums and brake pads/discs
Inspect drive belt(s)
Inspect drive shaft boots
Inspect engine air filter
Inspect engine coolant
Inspect exhaust pipes and mounting
Inspect rack and pinion steering assembly
Inspect rear differential oil
Inspect steering linkage and boots
Install BG MOA Oil Additive
Nitrogen upgrade for tires
Top off all underhood fluids
Visually inspect brake pads and rotors
Estimate: $398.95
Let's be honest that is- lot of checking, and real work, requires some skill. Will take four hours or more. Then u can be comfortable eithe the lexicon that's the lexus man.
All things considered I will take it to band r ot to SEars cost much less, and they do change the oil ang filter, under carriage run thru. Who knows ? Who cares ?
Lecud pcl88
Old 03-12-13, 08:37 AM
lexuspcl88
Driver School Candidate

Arrow Service at lexus dealer.

There is a lot to be said for a Lexus service with the experts techs,
But the prices oh myyyy.
Can't thrybe say ten percent more that Saers where you get good service and they follow a guide as what tobr done, apart from they ring march wit some knowledge. They do have the help of computers, and fellow echo,
Price a lot less, service, the same. ???? They claim that they know cars etc.
Lexuspcl88

Quick Reply: Is Dealer service a complete waste of money?