Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry man. Even Walmart oil change and tire service is better! haha
Old 03-14-12, 06:22 AM
dadoody
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by toxic
Business must be very slow at Toyota. Took my 430 in for an oil change. Advertised special $69.95. Up to 5 quarts, filter, yada, yada. I also wanted to get my tires rotated and balanced. I get a call from them and they tell me that they have to charge me more for a rotation and balance because of the allen bolts holding the pie plate cover on!! I said what the heck are you talking about, they are STOCK wheels. I could see it if they were aftermarket and you needed a special tool but c'mon dude He offered to split the difference with me.....so I asked what is the normal charge? I could tell he was guestimating. After I gave him crap I agreed to $25 but it just ticked me off. Then I get the bill and they charged me for washer fluid. I told him that's funny, I just filled it before I came in. He just stared at me. I left before I got even more heated. Worst mistake, they gave me a comment card to fill out

TOXIC
Report to Toyota Corporate ASAP and yelp it haha.

Also, start making friends with mechanics or find a trustworthy shop.

I get my oil changed at a Firestone Tires garage shop. My childhood friend is the mechanic. I'm not getting special prices, but I know he's very competent. I pay $50 total - for 5 quarts full synthetic.

Toyota OEM Denso oil filter costs $3.99.

I have friends still going to the stealerships and getting oil changes for $70......god forbid they want full synthetic, those bumps the price to $180!!!

And if you think the mechanics at the dealerships are any more competent than your local trust mechanic, I got some stories for you.
Old 03-14-12, 07:53 AM
Yes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dadoody
And if you think the mechanics at the dealerships are any more competent than your local trust mechanic, I got some stories for you.
Most dealerships don't used trained mechanics to change oil. They hire high school dropouts to do nothing but oil changes. Because really, that's all the training you need.
Old 03-15-12, 08:02 AM
dadoody
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Liquid SC
Most dealerships don't used trained mechanics to change oil. They hire high school dropouts to do nothing but oil changes. Because really, that's all the training you need.
That explains why my friend Frank spent $300 for service @ Cerritos Lexus only to drive off and fine out the hard way that they drained his oil and never refilled a drop.

A problem I've never had anywhere else
Old 03-15-12, 10:19 AM
VVTiBob

Received 265 Likes on 201 Posts

So is your friend getting a whole new motor and a loaner from the Cerritos Lexus while they do the work?
Old 03-15-12, 11:53 AM
bacardi
Lead Lap

ha bob
he better, what a dum thing to happen, but it happens. lexus can't get out of that one.
Old 03-15-12, 12:47 PM
mdfd430
Driver School Candidate

I went into a Toyota dealer for an oil change as well but walked out b/c of their attitude. They were pretty bad with their no care attitude and if they treated me like crap as a customer, I could only imagine how they would treat my car when I left it to them....
Old 03-15-12, 01:16 PM
TxPhantom
Rookie

Originally Posted by mdfd430
I went into a Toyota dealer for an oil change as well but walked out b/c of their attitude. They were pretty bad with their no care attitude and if they treated me like crap as a customer, I could only imagine how they would treat my car when I left it to them....
same way park place lexus in plano would
Old 03-15-12, 05:09 PM
KBALL
Pole Position

Also had a bad experience at toyota w my lexus. They butchered shaving the rotors...and i had their certified master tech do the work
Old 03-16-12, 08:29 AM
toxic
Driver

Well, the GM of the dealership is going to refund the cost of removing the pie plates and the "extra" quart of oil. One line email with no explanation. I will say he resolved it quick but I am also afraid that there is a big note in my file there if I ever bring the car back. Might be a burnt bridge.

TOXIC
Old 03-16-12, 08:37 AM
Yes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by toxic
Well, the GM of the dealership is going to refund the cost of removing the pie plates and the "extra" quart of oil. One line email with no explanation. I will say he resolved it quick but I am also afraid that there is a big note in my file there if I ever bring the car back. Might be a burnt bridge.

TOXIC
I'm guessing your money is just as green as before. Most likely, they won't give you any hassle next time around. If there is a next time around.
Old 03-16-12, 11:22 AM
VVTiBob

Received 265 Likes on 201 Posts

Nah...I think its their usual practice just to see what they can get away with. But when they're called on it, a quick refund to mollify the customer so they don't escalate the complaint to the next level, Toyota Corporate. But I am cynical about things like this.

IMO most customers are like sheep and don't mind getting sheered every once-in-a-while, especially if is in lower cost item(s).

Had a similar issue with my son's 09 Toyota, but it was water pump / alternator issue. Took the car in with a noise problem from the engine. But before going I did my due diligence and found a TSB on the alternator fly wheel noise issue. The car was out of warranty so I was going to pay for the service, but at least I believe I isolated the problem to minimize time.
Service writer swore it was the water pump, not the alternator. After replacing the water pump noise was just as bad. No luck with complaints to SW or Service Mgr. So I escalated to one of the owners, with a 10 minute phone call. Next day, got a call from the SW the problem will be fixed with an apology, new water pump and new alternator.

The difference is now - our Service Writer knows who I am, and won't forget it. I ain't a sheep and I don't like getting clipped. Been back once since then same service writer no problems whatsoever.
Old 03-19-12, 10:24 AM
toxic
Driver

I hope that's the way it is. Virgina has annual inspections and they can really nit-pick if they want. I take it there because it is very close to my house. Sure, I could take it to a Lexus dealer but it would be a 2 day/loaner car exercise. I would like to keep it close to home. I'll give them another shot and we'll see.

TOXIC