SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Needing New Rims

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-12, 01:20 PM
husker741
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Needing New Rims

So I've read a bunch of other threads about wheel fitments and what options are out there. But I want some specific input. First of all, any suggestions on chrome, polish, or finish that will look good with my Indigo Ink? Then, without any coil overs or springs, what will still look good without lowering the car? Any brands to specifically stay away from? Any specific recommendations that won't look stupid on my car?

Any input would be greatly appreciated. I have never really bought my own rims, so I do not know much about what would be the best. You all seem to have such good input, so I thought I would just ask what might look the best for my car. TIA!
Old 03-05-12, 03:07 PM
05SC430PB
Rookie

Default Subscribed...

Originally Posted by husker741
So I've read a bunch of other threads about wheel fitments and what options are out there. But I want some specific input. First of all, any suggestions on chrome, polish, or finish that will look good with my Indigo Ink? Then, without any coil overs or springs, what will still look good without lowering the car? Any brands to specifically stay away from? Any specific recommendations that won't look stupid on my car?

Any input would be greatly appreciated. I have never really bought my own rims, so I do not know much about what would be the best. You all seem to have such good input, so I thought I would just ask what might look the best for my car. TIA!
I have the same set of questions as a newbie I am all ears...
Old 03-05-12, 03:19 PM
tuterz
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

buy my 20's .. haha.. im only a few hours away..
Old 03-05-12, 03:24 PM
Yes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Depends on your budget. But in general, if you're not going to lower your car, I'd stick to 18" or 19" wheels. But even with 19" wheels, it'll look much better lowered.

As far as finish goes, I prefer a diamond cut finish. Different manufacturers have different names for the same finish. But it's basically polished aluminum with a subtle circular pattern cut into it. It's shiny, but not blinding the way chrome can be.

Unless you plan on replacing your rotors and at least painting the calipers (if not upgrading them) I would try to find a full-face wheel. Your stock rotors will be rusted, which isn't nice to look at.

As far as brands go, this is where budget comes into play. For high-quality wheels, you could easily spend $3,000 - $4000 or more just for wheels. JDM brands like Work, Auto Couture and Weds fall into this category. (Though they also make some less expensive one-piece wheels).

Vossen is cheaper, but from what I've heard they're made in China. I can't vouch for the quality, but I know a lot of people of bought them on here.

Then you have off-brand wheels on ebay. They're definitely cheap. But in my opinion, you get what you pay for. Generally speaking, the cheaper you go, the more likely you are to have problems with vibrations.
Old 03-05-12, 04:20 PM
husker741
Pole Position

Originally Posted by tuterz
buy my 20's .. haha.. im only a few hours away..
Throw in some coilovers and you might have me interested
Old 03-05-12, 04:23 PM
husker741
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Liquid SC
Depends on your budget. But in general, if you're not going to lower your car, I'd stick to 18" or 19" wheels. But even with 19" wheels, it'll look much better lowered.

As far as finish goes, I prefer a diamond cut finish. Different manufacturers have different names for the same finish. But it's basically polished aluminum with a subtle circular pattern cut into it. It's shiny, but not blinding the way chrome can be.

Unless you plan on replacing your rotors and at least painting the calipers (if not upgrading them) I would try to find a full-face wheel. Your stock rotors will be rusted, which isn't nice to look at.

As far as brands go, this is where budget comes into play. For high-quality wheels, you could easily spend $3,000 - $4000 or more just for wheels. JDM brands like Work, Auto Couture and Weds fall into this category. (Though they also make some less expensive one-piece wheels).

Vossen is cheaper, but from what I've heard they're made in China. I can't vouch for the quality, but I know a lot of people of bought them on here.

Then you have off-brand wheels on ebay. They're definitely cheap. But in my opinion, you get what you pay for. Generally speaking, the cheaper you go, the more likely you are to have problems with vibrations.
Thanks for your input, Liquid. You are truly one of the best contributors on here. I don't want to break the bank, but I want good quality rims. I will be moving down to Florida in a year, so I am going to sell my snow tires, pie plates, and OEM Star rims. Then, I hope to buy some more aggressive rims. I never really thought about the vibrations.. Is that common on aftermarket rims? Like I've said before, I'm a college student, so doing coilovers and new rotors might be out of the picture. But thanks again!
Old 03-05-12, 04:35 PM
SteadyEddy
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

A lot of people here think that the 18" G Spyders are a nice looking wheel on the SC. I for one like them. She didn't. Almost like a stock wheel. Easy care. I have 17" Sport wheels on the ES (almost the same as the spyders) and they are very easy to take care of. The G Spyders won't break the bank either. Check out the prices at Sewells. You can also use the same tires that you have on the car now. Just one thought!
Old 03-05-12, 04:48 PM
husker741
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SteadyEddy
A lot of people here think that the 18" G Spyders are a nice looking wheel on the SC. I for one like them. She didn't. Almost like a stock wheel. Easy care. I have 17" Sport wheels on the ES (almost the same as the spyders) and they are very easy to take care of. The G Spyders won't break the bank either. Check out the prices at Sewells. You can also use the same tires that you have on the car now. Just one thought!
Thanks for the help! I like the G Spyders, but I just don't think they are aggressive enough for what I'm looking for. I think I know which ES sport ones you have, because my mom has an ES with the spider-web-looking rims. I do need new tires soon also, but I think I'm gonna stay with some Pilot Sports or look into the Pilot Super Sports.
Old 03-05-12, 04:58 PM
husker741
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 05SC430PB
I have the same set of questions as a newbie I am all ears...
I know how you feel. I had so many questions when I joined the site. Take a look at my first post here https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...ew-member.html. LiquidSC and others helped me out A LOT
Old 03-05-12, 06:26 PM
Yes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by husker741
Thanks for your input, Liquid. You are truly one of the best contributors on here. I don't want to break the bank, but I want good quality rims. I will be moving down to Florida in a year, so I am going to sell my snow tires, pie plates, and OEM Star rims. Then, I hope to buy some more aggressive rims. I never really thought about the vibrations.. Is that common on aftermarket rims? Like I've said before, I'm a college student, so doing coilovers and new rotors might be out of the picture. But thanks again!
As best I can tell, almost everyone who bought off-brand 20" wheels has has vibration issues. It's probably less of a problem with 19" wheels. And even less so with 18". The smaller the wheels, the less they weight and the more sidewall you have to absorb any vibrations.

One of the issues with ebay and other discount wheels is that they're usually steel. They're heavier, so slight imbalances are magnified. Also, they're not manufactured to the same quality specifications as a high-quality JDM wheel. So they may be impossible to balance in some cases.

Being on a budget, you might consider buying used. Either in the classified forums on here or g35driver.com. G35s have almost the same offsets as the SC. But their drivers tend to go more aggressive than most SC drivers. So you have to make sure they'll fit. You'd also have to be careful to make sure they're not bent. You don't want to inherit someone else's issues.

Something like Vossen might be an option. I haven't heard any feedback on if they do have vibration issues. That would be my biggest concern with a Chinese-made wheel.
Old 03-05-12, 07:24 PM
cyberlexus
Pole Position

Here's an idea

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/5438331-post238.html
Old 03-06-12, 07:42 AM
Brian@Vossen
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We have two production facilities, one in China one in Taiwan. We also sets us apart from other wheel companies is we hire our own internal quality inspector to work with the factory hired quality team.

We also offer an industry leading 5 year warranty which no one else in the industry matches. If you read or ask CL members or on any forum you will see we stand behind our product and have some of the highest levels of customer satisfaction in the aftermarket auto industry, one not exactly well known for it.

Click here for the warranty info on our site

You can PM member CJITTY who has a LS with 22" Vossen wheels and he commented how Discount Tire was super impressed how well balanced the wheels were out the box and little to no adjustment was needed.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...-thread-5.html

Would LOVE to see some of our CV wheels on the SC, here is a photoshop with CV1s

Check our website! Thanks you!

http://www.vossenwheels.com/
Old 03-06-12, 02:02 PM
husker741
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Mike@Vossen
We have two production facilities, one in China one in Taiwan. We also sets us apart from other wheel companies is we hire our own internal quality inspector to work with the factory hired quality team.

We also offer an industry leading 5 year warranty which no one else in the industry matches. If you read or ask CL members or on any forum you will see we stand behind our product and have some of the highest levels of customer satisfaction in the aftermarket auto industry, one not exactly well known for it.

Click here for the warranty info on our site

You can PM member CJITTY who has a LS with 22" Vossen wheels and he commented how Discount Tire was super impressed how well balanced the wheels were out the box and little to no adjustment was needed.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...-thread-5.html

Would LOVE to see some of our CV wheels on the SC, here is a photoshop with CV1s

Check our website! Thanks you!

http://www.vossenwheels.com/
The website has some very nice wheels, but it seems like if I wanted to go with 19s or 20s, I would really need some coilovers, which unless I found some for very cheap, I don't think I want to spend the money on right now. Thanks for your input!
Old 03-06-12, 02:03 PM
husker741
Pole Position

Originally Posted by cyberlexus
Now that is a great looking indigo ink. Man would I love those rims, that grill, that bodykit, and especially those all those LED's. Maybe when college is over..
Old 03-06-12, 05:13 PM
bacardi
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

husker
check out WORK RIMS on e-bay thats were I got mine. very nice rims.

Quick Reply: Needing New Rims