SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

To buy or not to buy? One or the other or neither?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-12, 07:02 PM
kwdnls
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To buy or not to buy? One or the other or neither?

I am looking at two different 2002 SC430s. One is navy blue with the saddle interior. 99k miles. Rated 93 with AutoCheck. Original asking price, $16,450, talked dealership down to $15,200. Second is silver with black interior, 89k miles. Rated 95 with AutoCheck. Asking price, $18,900. Haven't tried talking the second dealership down yet. Any opinions on price/value? Better color combination between the two? To buy or not to buy? One or the other or neither? Thanks for any and all help.

Silver- http://www.eliteautogroup.org/web/24...%20convertible

Blue- http://www.autosportsfl.com/2407/200...30-Convertible
Attached Thumbnails To buy or not to buy? One or the other or neither?-ua_640.jpg   To buy or not to buy? One or the other or neither?-kg_640.jpg   To buy or not to buy? One or the other or neither?-thumbimg.php.jpg   To buy or not to buy? One or the other or neither?-thumbimg2.php.jpg   To buy or not to buy? One or the other or neither?-thumbimg3.php.jpg  

Old 02-19-12, 07:06 PM
robertrios
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the interior of the blue looks like its in the better condition, I also have a blue sc so im partial to that one. The price is great so I would say buy it!
Old 02-19-12, 08:30 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Buy the color that you like best if the two cars are basically in same shape with same wear and tear and same service records.

Or buy the one that is in best shape with best service record if they are significantly different.

The money isn't that different and in the long run you will be way happier if you get the one that you like best and don't worry about minor $ difference.
Old 02-20-12, 06:39 AM
donnieS
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm quite happy with the saddle interior on mine. That said, you're looking at 2 very similar vehicles condition-wise. If they're comparable mechanically, the choice is yours as to what's the most important aspect, colors or dollars.

The price you've negotiated on the blue one is good, too.

ds
Old 02-20-12, 07:11 AM
bacardi
Lead Lap

if the price is right and color is what you want go for it. mine is 02 pine green with saddle interior and i love it.
Old 02-20-12, 07:32 AM
jomo3640
Driver

The saddle interior is the FIRST thing that people compliment when they see my car (2007 Black/Saddle).
I was looking at 2006 Black/Ecru, and 2007 Black/Saddle, and my wife insisted on the Saddle!
Old 02-20-12, 08:43 AM
jasone36
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

When looking at cars with this type of mileage, you may want to consider finding a small-time dealer who can take you to an auto auction such as Manheim. Typically you pay them $500 plus cost of the car, have no warranty, but you typically pay "trade in price" for the car, instead of retail price, which could be a $3,000 difference.

Dealers hate it when consumers get access to auctions, but if you are budget-oriented I would consider this. On the other hand, if you like big screen TVs and free coffee at the dealership while they work the purchase, go with them

Best of luck, Oh, and the saddle one gets my vote too, the interior looks in better shape. be sure to check service records (google "lexusdriver service records").
Old 02-20-12, 09:08 AM
VVTiBob

Received 265 Likes on 201 Posts

From the pictures you posted the cars appear, cosmetically close to one another. This leaves you with two issues to consider. The first is subjective: which color combination do you like better. The second is objective: how mechanically sound is the car, this includes some well known failure points on the SC430 model.
I would STRONGLY recommend, if you haven't done so already, reading the "sticky" above on FAQ when buying one of these cars (Buying a SC430) One of our moderators, SCDROPTOP, put a lot of thought and work into that thread and it's a valuable reference/resource item for any new buyer/owner.
Next I'd get the VIN on both and check the car's maintenance history on the drivers.lexus.com website. While the entire history may not be there, there is chance it is.
Both these cars should have had there 90K service completed which isn't cheap. (major maintaince every 30K) There are other issues too such as; spare tire, blown speakers, trunk and hood supports, inside tire wear patterns, less sophisticated electronics (no iPod, Bluetooth, phone integration on 02 models with some after market devices). The there are those wheels/ pie plate covers...some like them a lot, most find new ones. That also goes for the RF tires too.
Please don't take my comments the wrong way. I, like many of us here, love my/our cars. They are very reliable mechanically. The motors are rock solid! But you're still looking at a car that could have been built and sold in early 2001, some 11, going on twelve years ago so you can expect some things to pop up. Again, the smartest course is to do your due diligence, removing the emotion of the purchase, and REALLY compare the cars. Armed with the knowledge from the sticky above, as well as their online histories, you will be in a better position to negotiate with the selling parties.
Good luck with your purchase, let us know how it turns out. Oh, and BTW welcome to the forum!

Last edited by VVTiBob; 02-20-12 at 11:24 AM.
Old 02-20-12, 10:38 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

I agree with Bob. Be sure to check out the issues listed, you might be able to gain some bargaining points that way.

I do have a couple of items to point out:
> The black interior on a hot Florida day will be worse than the saddle interior. It will definitely be hotter.
> The saddle interior car is missing the shifter ****, granted you can pick one up for yourself later but it is still missing. Possibly another bargaining chip?

Welcome to the forum. Let us know how it turns out.
Old 02-20-12, 11:31 AM
VVTiBob

Received 265 Likes on 201 Posts

Nice catch on the shifter ****, looked right past it. However, with that type of carpet protector it's probably at a car dealer. Some of them remove the ***** to prevent theft from low lifes who steal them and then sell them on various well know websites. But Harold makes a great point about potential missing components.
Old 02-20-12, 01:57 PM
kjcole
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The stickies are great. Helped me with my purchase of an '02 this June. A big thumbs up on checking the maintenance history with the VIN on the Lexus site referenced above. Not only to see what's needed now, but if there have been any recurring issues recently that lack resolution, which may be signalling why the car is now at a dealer. E.g., those tops are not simple.

Don't forget to check the date on the NAV update - those DVD's are pricey.
Old 02-20-12, 03:19 PM
99rx
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Jump on that Blue one. That thing is beautiful. That is the color combination I would have if I could get a 430.
Old 02-21-12, 10:08 AM
kwdnls
Driver School Candidate

Wow, thanks for all the replies. Yes, like most of you, I fell in love with the saddle interior. That is the cause of my next problem. The blue/saddle car has 99k miles on it (89k for the silver) and only one key (3 for the silver) but has been regularly serviced by a Lexus dealer at least since 2007 (that's the only one I called) and has the best interior condition I have seen on a 2002. My problem is with the rarity of the car. I don't want to pass it up for fear I will never find such a deal again in my area. But I work overseas and there is a good chance that the car will sit for most of the year until I return, aside from weekly start ups, trips around the block and routine maintenance. Will the deprecation warrant buying it now?

Originally Posted by jasone36
When looking at cars with this type of mileage, you may want to consider finding a small-time dealer who can take you to an auto auction such as Manheim. Typically you pay them $500 plus cost of the car, have no warranty, but you typically pay "trade in price" for the car, instead of retail price, which could be a $3,000 difference.
Thats actually how I found the car but the guy wanted $1500 as his fee. Went to the dealership and got a better deal.

Originally Posted by VVTiBob
Next I'd get the VIN on both and check the car's maintenance history on the drivers.lexus.com website. While the entire history may not be there, there is chance it is.
Both these cars should have had there 90K service completed which isn't cheap. (major maintaince every 30K) There are other issues too such as; spare tire, blown speakers, trunk and hood supports, inside tire wear patterns, less sophisticated electronics (no iPod, Bluetooth, phone integration on 02 models with some after market devices). The there are those wheels/ pie plate covers...some like them a lot, most find new ones. That also goes for the RF tires too.
That will help with the process because it took me 30 minutes just to find the service records of the blue car just since 2007. Haven't check the silver yet but the blue car had the full 90k service and also a 100k check up.

Originally Posted by Harold57
> The saddle interior car is missing the shifter ****, granted you can pick one up for yourself later but it is still missing. Possibly another bargaining chip?

Welcome to the forum. Let us know how it turns out.
Good catch. Didn't notice that myself but I test drove it and it has it!
Old 02-25-12, 07:45 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

Best of luck with your decision. It is probably worth having a mechanic check them out for a small fee to give you a bit of peace of mind. Let us know what you decide.

It is good to hear that the blue one (indigo ink pearl) does have the shifter ****. Sounds like Bob guessed it when he said that it could be a dealer that removes them to prevent theft.
Old 02-25-12, 11:19 AM
kwdnls
Driver School Candidate

Thanks. Going to take it to the Lexus dealership and have them check it out. But if I do decide to buy it, do you think it is worth since it will sit for a year until I am back home? Or should I wait the year before I buy it?

Quick Reply: To buy or not to buy? One or the other or neither?