SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Ordered my air suspension!

Old 04-24-12, 01:26 PM
WIL44
Instructor

Received 86 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by IcEnPinKi
WOW Steve you finally did it! How do you like it?
Yes, done at last Will.
It certainly does the job and the e-Level is absoloutely brilliant.
Doesn't seem to have as much travel as yours, but I have been a bit conservative with the settings.
Only drove it for a while on Sunday, but surprised that it is quite firm. The air bags are classed as 'sport bags' so I suppose I should have expected it.
Is yours firm or do the bags soften slightly with use?
I will get to drive it a bit more next weekend and let you know how it handles.

Best regards
Steve
Old 04-25-12, 10:36 AM
IcEnPinKi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by WIL44
Yes, done at last Will.
It certainly does the job and the e-Level is absoloutely brilliant.
Doesn't seem to have as much travel as yours, but I have been a bit conservative with the settings.
Only drove it for a while on Sunday, but surprised that it is quite firm. The air bags are classed as 'sport bags' so I suppose I should have expected it.
Is yours firm or do the bags soften slightly with use?
I will get to drive it a bit more next weekend and let you know how it handles.

Best regards
Steve
Well im running bags over KYB struts and if I ride high it feels great like stock but if I ride lower its a harsh ride. The reason is that when riding lower the bag is pretty much deflated so I am planning to run a different route this time. I will probably switch my set up to coilovers and short bags. This way I can ride lower with dampening adjustments and with the shorter bags ill still have pressure when low. Only problem with this is limited lift.
Old 04-26-12, 12:01 PM
WIL44
Instructor

Well im running bags over KYB struts and if I ride high it feels great like stock but if I ride lower its a harsh ride. The reason is that when riding lower the bag is pretty much deflated so I am planning to run a different route this time. I will probably switch my set up to coilovers and short bags. This way I can ride lower with dampening adjustments and with the shorter bags ill still have pressure when low. Only problem with this is limited lift.
Thanks for the info Will.

Not had a chance to test it fully yet (work gets in the way. lol), but will use it more at the weekend.
Tried it fully raised and that was harsh too. I intend to try it between the ride height and high with the dampers set soft and see what happens.

Best regards
Steve
Old 04-26-12, 02:05 PM
IcEnPinKi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by WIL44
Thanks for the info Will.

Not had a chance to test it fully yet (work gets in the way. lol), but will use it more at the weekend.
Tried it fully raised and that was harsh too. I intend to try it between the ride height and high with the dampers set soft and see what happens.

Best regards
Steve
Riding at full up will be a bouncy/bumpy ride as the bags are all full. Your #2 setting should be your ride height.
Old 04-28-12, 11:13 AM
WIL44
Instructor

Riding at full up will be a bouncy/bumpy ride as the bags are all full. Your #2 setting should be your ride height.
Hi Will

Driving it all day today, motorways, 'A' roads, side roads and speed bumps and it does exactly what I want. Love it.
Found the highest speed bumps I could that I would not have cleared at my normal ride height, but touch no.3 preset (which is not fully raised) and we glide over no probs.
Raised it slightly more than it was before and set that position as 'ride height' and although it is firmer than stock it is perfectly acceptable. Handling is good, but it has been raining all day here so could not push it too hard.
I will set the dampers harder and push it into the corners when the bl...dy rain stops.

Thanks for all your help.

Very best regards
Steve
Old 05-03-12, 03:06 PM
aquanuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow great job Steve, oh yeah love the look when it's on the floor
Old 05-04-12, 02:55 PM
WIL44
Instructor

Originally Posted by aquanuke
Wow great job Steve, oh yeah love the look when it's on the floor
Thanks Chris
I am glad it is done now.
It was quite a job and very expensive, but I am very pleased with the outcome.
I think although yours is low, because you are running with 20's your ride height is higher than mine and you don't have the problem of speed bumps like I did. Now I don't have to avoid whole area's where they are and I can lift it at the touch of a button. It is not driveable slammed, but it looks good.

Looking forward to a photo shoot with you and Will when we can arrange it.

Best regards
Steve
Old 05-31-12, 12:46 PM
WIL44
Instructor

Final update on the air suspension.

Made some covers for the holes over the rear dampers from 4" waste pipe stop ends.
Fitted stem elbows into the VU4 so that the pipes are not bent.
Installed Accuair mufflers that really quiten the exhausted air.
Tidied up and polished the tank etc and removed the stickers from the compressors.
Had a sticker made for the glass deflector between the rear headrests.

I am very impressed by the whole system. It is not for everybody as it gives quite a firm ride, but handling is brilliant, virtually no roll on hard cornering and it feels 'stuck' to the road with no 'wallowing' at all.
It has been left standing for more than a week at a time without losing any air at all and the compressors hardly ever come on if I just raise it for speed bumps. I sometimes park it and leave it slammed and I have seen people scratching ther heads wondering 'how on earth can that be driven that low'. As soon as the ignition is turned on it raises to ride height instantly.
Taking the car over to France for my annual drive down to the Le Mans 24 Hours in a couple of weeks, so that will give it a good test.

Hope my DIY has been useful and if anyone decides to move up to air I have loads of info to help them.
One last thank you to Zack@UAS for getting all the stuff for me and he even got a couple of replacement height sensors ball joints for me after I stupidly broke one of the clips.

Best regards
Steve
Attached Thumbnails Ordered my air suspension!-img-20120531-00509.jpg   Ordered my air suspension!-img-20120531-00510.jpg   Ordered my air suspension!-img-20120531-00515.jpg   Ordered my air suspension!-img-20120531-00516.jpg   Ordered my air suspension!-img-20120531-00520.jpg  

Old 05-31-12, 01:25 PM
barncat
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks great! Nice install. I'd like to see a larger pic of the car in the lowered position.
Old 05-31-12, 01:34 PM
WIL44
Instructor

Originally Posted by barncat
Looks great! Nice install. I'd like to see a larger pic of the car in the lowered position.
Hi Barncat

Thanks for your comments, there are larger pictures of all the preset positions and 'all down' at post #54 in this thread.

Best regards
Steve
Old 11-10-12, 09:55 AM
Rollaboy
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks really nice Steve

I have just started a mail corespondence with Zack i need this too.

Just got my BC coilover suspension, so im looking forward to get the air components

It really looks like zack made alot of customization to your megan coilovers.

Do you have some pictures of the e-level touch control placement in the center console?
Old 11-10-12, 12:17 PM
WIL44
Instructor

Originally Posted by Rollaboy
Looks really nice Steve

I have just started a mail corespondence with Zack i need this too.

Just got my BC coilover suspension, so im looking forward to get the air components

It really looks like zack made alot of customization to your megan coilovers.

Do you have some pictures of the e-level touch control placement in the center console?
Thanks Rollaboy

The rear coilovers have to be adapted so that the air bag fits at the bottom of the shock unlike the spring that sits at the top, because there is not enough room.
I used a Brodit phone bracket (you cannot see it behind the hand set) and put a small piece of self adhesive Velcro on the hand set and on the bracket so that it is easy to remove. There is a long enough cable to take it out of the window and use it to set the suspension heights at each wheel.

Lots more photos if you require anything else.

Cheers Steve
Attached Thumbnails Ordered my air suspension!-img-20120401-00289.jpg   Ordered my air suspension!-img-20120401-00294.jpg   Ordered my air suspension!-img-20120415-00401.jpg  
Old 11-10-12, 01:10 PM
Rollaboy
Lead Lap

Steve (Mr fast reply)

Great with the pictures like always

is the new pieces still aluminum? I can see you painted them blue.

The rear is the problem. But what about the coil. Doesnt look like there is so much to adjust with the bag so low? But you have no problems?

i hope i dont run into problems with my BC coilover set
Old 11-11-12, 11:24 AM
WIL44
Instructor

Originally Posted by Rollaboy
Steve (Mr fast reply)

Great with the pictures like always

is the new pieces still aluminum? I can see you painted them blue.

The rear is the problem. But what about the coil. Doesnt look like there is so much to adjust with the bag so low? But you have no problems?

i hope i dont run into problems with my BC coilover set
Hi Rollaboy

The adapted bottom bracket on the shock absorber is aluminium, but the rest is steel. Zack rushed them through for me in the end and so powder coating was pretty crap so I sanded them all down and painted them blue. Unfortunately there were two pieces missing so Zack sent me a drawing and I had them made locally to save time.

Not sure what you mean about 'the coil'???
The adjustment is the same as if there was still a spring on the coilover, you decide when you are setting it up how low and how high you want it to go. The lowest you can go is when the top wishbone hits the chassis.
You better check with Zack to see if the BC coilovers need adapting. I imagine they would need the same as the Megans.

Hope this helps.

Cheers Steve
Attached Thumbnails Ordered my air suspension!-img-20120331-00255a.jpg   Ordered my air suspension!-img-20120406-00304.jpg   Ordered my air suspension!-img-20120401-00296.jpg  
Old 11-12-12, 12:40 PM
Rollaboy
Lead Lap

Sorry my bad english. Not coil. I mean the threaded part to be adjusted. But sounds like you dont have any problems.

on the picture i can see the bottom part i cutted and welded together again. Why isnt it just cuttet. Doesnt it have thread inside? sorry my bad spelling its just hard to write this techincal stuff.

Do you have a picture of the missing parts?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ordered my air suspension!