SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-11, 07:23 AM
BimmerGuy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New member

I recently (last week) purchased a 2002 SC430. Absolutely Red with the baseball glove looking leather (not sure what that color is called, someone please correct me). 78K miles. I've named her Audrey, she came with all manuals and the original window sticker which shows the following options: rear spoiler, run flat tires (will be replacing those), cargo net, trunk mat, and wheel locks (all of which are there). I'm very content because I paid way under book value and everything works as it should! Plus no paintwork

Audrey has at least one typical SC430 problem, the antenna will not retract all the way. I did search and found how to replace the mast, which I will be doing soon.

There are some other things though, cowl shake seems to be ever present over rough sections, I am going to replace the RFTs but it seems a lot compared to the previous convertibles I've had (Z4 and miatas). I drove a couple other SC430s and they are all about the same, so I guess this is the norm.

Suspension feels floaty, but she tracks straight as an arrow, maybe I am used to sport suspension BMWs so that may be why. I am guessing coilovers will help, so those are on the list also.

That about sums it up. I'll post some pics when Houston is finally ideal enough to wash and wax her.
Old 12-23-11, 07:38 AM
SteadyEddy
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Congrates and Welcome to the forum. Sound like you picked up a beauty! I believe you have saddle interior ( same as ours) I think you'll find that once you change out the runflats the car will seem like you have bought another vehicle. At least that's what we found when we finally did it.
Old 12-23-11, 08:58 AM
Yes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Welcome. Looks like you did your research. Coilovers and non-runflat tires will definitely improve the ride. One other thing you might consider are larger wheels. I've noticed that even with coilovers, when I had stock wheels on my car, the steering felt much less precise. With 20" wheels, you have less sidewall, which translates to tighter handling. One caveat is you'll want to go with high quality wheels (which are expensive). Cheaper aftermarket wheels often lead to vibrations and steering wheel shakes.
Old 12-23-11, 11:31 AM
lamar411
Pole Position

Congrats on the car and welcome to the club, i think the color your looking for is ecru.Post up some pictures.
Old 12-23-11, 12:45 PM
iolmaster
Racer

Received 180 Likes on 153 Posts

Actually, I think Eddy is correct and the baseball glove look is saddle. I though Ecru was lighter.
Old 12-23-11, 01:07 PM
bacardi
Lead Lap

Welcome Mr Bimmer to the Group.
Old 12-23-11, 08:06 PM
OBP
Advanced

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

Welcome to the group Mr Bimmer. From someone who has had a 3 series coupe (E36) and a 5 series sedan ( E39), I am happy with Lexus build quality and reliability. Had to have the ECUs changed out on both my bimmers and they stranded me off and on, requiring a tow truck to get me to the dealer quite a few times. This has never happened with the SC430.

I have the ecru ( off - white or cream ) leather interior but I do wish I had the saddle ( brown ) like you. Ecru is tough to keep clean and just is more work.

Good luck with Audrey and keep us updated on how your mods and fixes go.
Old 12-24-11, 03:41 AM
harleydjce
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to Lexus from the dark side of BMW!

In addition to the coil overs and run flats, changing to Daizen Bushings will do wonders for the handling.
Old 12-24-11, 08:55 AM
WIL44
Instructor

Received 86 Likes on 46 Posts

Welcome to CL BimmerGuy, enjoy your new car.

Best regards

Steve
Old 12-24-11, 11:06 PM
BimmerGuy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SteadyEddy
Congrates and Welcome to the forum. Sound like you picked up a beauty! I believe you have saddle interior ( same as ours) I think you'll find that once you change out the runflats the car will seem like you have bought another vehicle. At least that's what we found when we finally did it.
Thanks for the warm welcome. Sweet, it is the saddle interior, thanks!

Originally Posted by Liquid SC
Welcome. Looks like you did your research. Coilovers and non-runflat tires will definitely improve the ride. One other thing you might consider are larger wheels. I've noticed that even with coilovers, when I had stock wheels on my car, the steering felt much less precise. With 20" wheels, you have less sidewall, which translates to tighter handling. One caveat is you'll want to go with high quality wheels (which are expensive). Cheaper aftermarket wheels often lead to vibrations and steering wheel shakes.
I have a few wheels in mind. I didn't want to spend too much, so I've narrowed it down to SSR Professor SP1, SSR GT3, or used Trafficstar/SSR/something else. I am also looking into Forgestar, I like their designs, but rotary forged is really still a cast wheel.
Thanks very much for the input.

Originally Posted by lamar411
Congrats on the car and welcome to the club, i think the color your looking for is ecru.Post up some pictures.
I will this week sometime. It rained most of the day here. It's still wet out.

Originally Posted by iolmaster
Actually, I think Eddy is correct and the baseball glove look is saddle. I though Ecru was lighter.
Yep it's saddle!

Originally Posted by bacardi
Welcome Mr Bimmer to the Group.
Thanks!

Originally Posted by OBP
Welcome to the group Mr Bimmer. From someone who has had a 3 series coupe (E36) and a 5 series sedan ( E39), I am happy with Lexus build quality and reliability. Had to have the ECUs changed out on both my bimmers and they stranded me off and on, requiring a tow truck to get me to the dealer quite a few times. This has never happened with the SC430.

I have the ecru ( off - white or cream ) leather interior but I do wish I had the saddle ( brown ) like you. Ecru is tough to keep clean and just is more work.

Good luck with Audrey and keep us updated on how your mods and fixes go.
I've had numerous BMWs, none of which had left me stranded. It's always hit or miss with those cars though, my mom has had 2 misses. I've had an E30 325i cabrio, E28 533i, E46 325Ci, E46 325i, E36/8 M, E85, and currently my E46 touring (H&R PCS coilovers, HREs, and some other mods).
I love the ecru interior, but I can see how much of a pain it would be to keep clean!
Thanks for the warm welcome!

Originally Posted by harleydjce
Welcome to Lexus from the dark side of BMW!

In addition to the coil overs and run flats, changing to Daizen Bushings will do wonders for the handling.
Yep I am going to add those bushings to the top of the list!
Thanks!

Originally Posted by WIL44
Welcome to CL BimmerGuy, enjoy your new car.

Best regards

Steve
Thank you Steve, much appreciated!
Old 12-25-11, 09:12 AM
BimmerGuy
Driver School Candidate

Here is a quick pic I snapped on this cold, wet Christmas morning. You can see some scratches on the front bumper from steep driveways, I think a front lip may hide those scratches.

Also my driveway needs work. I bought this house in 09 and am slowing working on it, the inside is pretty much done, so I will be focusing on the outside now. It's slow going because I moved to an all cash lifestyle, but at least I own the house outright.

Here is her stable mate Tia:

This is my latest project for Tia, refurbing my old wheels refinished from original silver to Jollypop blue with a silver basecoat with a lot of flake and a candy topcoat, the barrels are next to be powdercoated (gloss black):
Old 12-25-11, 04:12 PM
jasone36
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

The car looks excellent. Out of curiosity, how much did the SC430 cost you?

Many of us here have 2002's and wonder what the "street value" of them is.
Old 12-25-11, 06:29 PM
IcEnPinKi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome. The SC430 is def one of the best cars I've owned.

Originally Posted by OBP

I have a fresh minty full saddle interior sitting in my garage
Old 12-25-11, 07:49 PM
BimmerGuy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jasone36
The car looks excellent. Out of curiosity, how much did the SC430 cost you?

Many of us here have 2002's and wonder what the "street value" of them is.
Thanks!
14900 OTD. IMO I managed to steal it

Originally Posted by IcEnPinKi
Welcome. The SC430 is def one of the best cars I've owned.
The grand master of SC430 VIP I believe you! I look forward to a long affair with my lady.