SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Garage Door Opener

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-11, 10:11 AM
Goldie0526
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Garage Door Opener

Hey Everybody! I'm a new proud owner of 2002 SC430 with only 74,000 miles and like new condition. I've only had this wonderful car for about three weeks and I've been lurking on this site ever since. I can't tell you how in-love I am with this car...I've affectionately called her "Goldie." (This is the first car I've ever named.) Yes, I'm a girl. Anyway, I'm having a little difficulty programming the garage door with the car. Do any of you SC430 owners know what trick I'm missing.
Old 12-16-11, 10:55 AM
Poqman
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

This is something you can do yourself, but the process is different for garage door openers. You need to know if you have a rolling random code door opener or a fixed code. Newer openers use the rolling code. So which do you have?
Old 12-16-11, 11:00 AM
scdroptop

Received 47 Likes on 22 Posts

Here's some tips:

Follow the exact instructions in the owner's manual

Make sure you are pressing the buttons in all the way and holding them....sometimes it's hard to tell because the light is so dim and hard to keep your hand up there.

Make sure you have your car parked under the opener so you can reach the "learn" button (if a rolling code, newer systemt) and lastly when you press the button on the SC430 to finish the program...sometimes it takes 2-3 tries so don't give up after one time.

Welcome to the forum! Post some pics of your car and enjoy!
Old 12-16-11, 12:01 PM
Goldie0526
Driver School Candidate

It's a newer garage door opener so i'm guessing it's a rolling code. The cars manual made it sound like I was also supposed to have a handheld part. There wasn't something like that which was supposed to come with the car, was there?
Old 12-16-11, 12:18 PM
kjcole
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

That hand-held part is the garage door remote control that came with the opener. The advice here is dead-on. Took me two tries because the buttons on the SC have to be really pushed in to register - and they are small. I parked right under the opener, stood on the door sill to reach the learn button, then followed the Lexus manual instructions.
Old 12-16-11, 01:12 PM
A1Lexis
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Make sure the battery in your hand held remote is recent or new. Welcome to CL and post some pics of your new ride.
Old 12-16-11, 01:40 PM
Poqman
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Since you have a rolling code, did you press the learn button on the back of the garage door opener during the setup? +1 on what SCdroptop said about following instructions in the owners manual.
Old 12-16-11, 02:05 PM
robsvdp
Pole Position

It's a two step process.
STEP ONE: Take the garage remote, hold about 2 inches from the buttons in the car. Press/hold the button in the car AND the remote at the same time. The little light in the car near the buttons will flash slow then fast. Once it goes fast, let go of the buttons - step one is done.
STEP TWO: Press the button on the back/side of the garage door opener (the machine on the ceiling of your garage, usually a red or purple button. It's a quick press/release, DO NOT HOLD IT DOWN (or all remotes are erased). You now have 30 seconds to go back to your car and press the opener button (the one in the car, that you programmed in STEP ONE). Hold it until the lights on the garage opener blink once. Now you're done.
Old 12-16-11, 09:37 PM
AusTexLex
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great thread! You guys rock. Couldn't make mine work either. Will program tomorrow. Thanks!
Old 12-17-11, 05:07 AM
iolmaster
Racer

Received 180 Likes on 153 Posts

Also, I think you are supposed to clear the codes stored first before and new codes are entered. This is done by holding the two outside buttons down at the same time for about 20 seconds or until the lights blinks more quickly. You have to have the key in the on position also.

Last edited by iolmaster; 12-17-11 at 06:09 AM.
Old 12-17-11, 06:20 AM
huy33
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

It really REALLY helps if you have two people doing this. One person sitting in the car and the other up on a ladder at the garage door opener unit. It tried running back and forth and it sucked
Old 12-17-11, 07:06 AM
iolmaster
Racer

Received 180 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by huy33
It really REALLY helps if you have two people doing this. One person sitting in the car and the other up on a ladder at the garage door opener unit. It tried running back and forth and it sucked
This is definitely true. With the new openers that you have to tell the unit to learn the code. It helps to have one in the car and one at the opener. It can be done with one person (I did it) but two makes it much easier.
Old 12-19-11, 08:19 AM
Gutz13
Rookie

I couldn't get mine to work the first time either. I got frustrated and gave up. But then my hand held broke, so I tried it again, following the instructions exactly, and it worked! Don't give up, it's so nice having it on the car instead of using the hand held. Welcome to the forum, you will learn alot!
Old 12-31-11, 10:45 AM
elvis1955
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Goldie0526
Hey Everybody! I'm a new proud owner of 2002 SC430 with only 74,000 miles and like new condition. I've only had this wonderful car for about three weeks and I've been lurking on this site ever since. I can't tell you how in-love I am with this car...I've affectionately called her "Goldie." (This is the first car I've ever named.) Yes, I'm a girl. Anyway, I'm having a little difficulty programming the garage door with the car. Do any of you SC430 owners know what trick I'm missing.
welcome. phenomenal car....exceptional club. enjoy both.

floyd/03 silver....have not named mine yet but is best car i've ever owned.
Old 01-04-12, 04:07 PM
Goldie0526
Driver School Candidate

You guys are fabulous!!! Yes, I will try to program again. I had a little trouble finding the reset button on the back of my garage door opener. Still not sure I found it. I will take pictures of my ride this weekend and post. I can't tell you how much I've enjoyed lurking on this site and learning such valuable knowledge from you all. Thanks...ya'll ROCK!!.

Quick Reply: Garage Door Opener