SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

SC430 Storage / Winter Storage Master Thread (merged)

Old 10-28-02, 08:14 PM
DropTop430
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question SC430 Storage / Winter Storage Master Thread (merged)

Like last year I am going to put my SC away for the winter months. I wanted to see what others do to get it ready for storage.
Last year all I did was change the oil, fired the pressure up in the tires around 50psi or so to help avoid bad flat spotting, cleaned it up and put my cover on it. every two weeks or so I would start it up and let it run for a few minutes and then drive it around for 15-20 minutes to get things up to operating temps. But that was about it. Any other suggestions for me?
I just snagged a 5 month lease on a 2002 Acura MDX from a local dealer so I will have a sport ute to drive for the winter....
Old 10-29-02, 12:52 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,112 Likes on 1,289 Posts

DT,

Couple of similar posts recently in the maintenance forum...

Click for link 1

Click for link 2

Last edited by DaveGS4; 10-29-02 at 12:52 AM.
Old 10-29-02, 01:10 AM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by bizzy928

DO NOT DRAIN YOUR OIL, TRANNY AND GAS before your store.
You want to do the exact opposite.

Go for an oil change, go fill your gas to the top. GO home. run your a/c, heat, wipers, windows... basically all electronics. (make sure u drive for at least 16km so your exhaust system has burned all the fliuds) wash your car inside and out. lube the doors. make sure your tires are filled at recommended psi. put in fuel stabalizer , jack your car up. lower it on 4 stands. take off wheels (loosen lug nuts while car is still on ground) put car cover on.
Above is from one of the links that Dave was so kind to post up.. What bizzy928 does above is from what I have read to be the correct method of storing your SC430.. With the only addition of adding a trickle charger to the battery..

Legendary Motor Car (Milton) will be storing my car this year.. They do all of the above plus have a temperature/humidity constant facility.. For those in Ontario take a peek at their website..

http://www.legendarymotorcar.com/

Last edited by 2SAVVY; 10-30-02 at 04:52 AM.
Old 10-29-02, 01:19 PM
1NICESC430
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The procedure recommended in bizzy928's quote seems to me to be appropriate if you're going to store the car for a few years, not for a few months.

Last year, I washed mine, hooked up a BatteryTender, tucked it under a car cover, kissed it goodnight, and four months later I started it up and drove off. All I had to do was add some air to the tires and drive for about five miles to get the air pressure warning light to turn off.
Old 10-29-02, 09:34 PM
ceboyd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default wow!

5 month lease? How much is it gonna cost you? I haven't heard of anyone around here doing that.. I'd love to do a 5 month lease!!!!
Old 10-30-02, 10:01 AM
DropTop430
Driver

2002 Silver Acura MDX with 6000km on it, fully loaded. Its a dealer car they keep a few for this purpose. I am getting if for 5 months with 11000km for the term and $.10 per extra km's.
$825 per month tax in (Cdn $$$)

I did the same thing last year with a 2000 QX4

I sent out about 50 emails one night off a list I found and got lots of responses for lease takeovers and things like that, this was the best deal...I think its very fair...You can't rent a Taurus for $1000 a month.....
Old 10-30-02, 02:49 PM
ceboyd
Lexus Test Driver

Default wow!

I wish the dealers by us did this!!!!!!
Old 03-23-03, 07:46 PM
DropTop430
Driver

Default Winter Storage

Took the SC out after letting it sleep for the winter, spring has sprung in Ontario, I think. Over the winter I started it a couple of times, each time needing a boost. Yesterday I got a boost and let it run for 15 minutes or so than took it for a long drive about 90 mins or so. Parked it and then tried it this morning, flat dead. I have always thought that a battery would be fully charged up after almost 2 hours of running but that seems not to be the case.
I think maybe the battery needs to be charged or maybe even replaced. The last thing I want to deal with is a car that has a weak battery.....Next year I'm getting a battery tender...
Old 03-25-03, 01:27 PM
ceboyd
Lexus Test Driver

hmm... my battery was DEAD from not starting the car for 2 months... but since recharge, I've started it twice with no problems...

I haven't driven it yet though so I'll have to let you know...

I'll be putting it back on insurance with in the next week or so....
Old 03-28-03, 12:35 PM
1NICESC430
Instructor

BatteryTender is the way to go!

I never even heard of such a thing until I read about it on this forum last year. I had it hooked up all winter, took it off just about 2 hours ago and the car started first time - no problems. This past winter I hooked the BatteryTender to both battery terminals fully expecting the wrath of OSHA to come down upon me ar at least a minor explosion wreaking some physical damage. Nothing happened. Today I left the extension on and capped it so it'll be ready to hook up again next winter without going through the battery thing.

I was surprised that the runflats maintained their pressure. The only thing I noticed was that the fan belt ... wait a minute ... they don't call them fan belts any longer, do they ... was making a swishing type of sound. I went for a 10 mile ride and the sound was gone.

I didn't realize how much I missed that car until I drove it today. You folks in the warm climates really can't appreciate your cars the way we northerners can because you drive them every day. (Yeah, right, Ed).

I'm happy again ..
Old 11-23-03, 06:18 PM
DropTop430
Driver

Default Winter Storage

Put my SC away for the winter again, I am wondering what I should do with the battery this year. Last year I just left it in and went dead and then I jumped it and things were fine. I am not planning on starting at all this winter.

Should I get one of those trickle chargers to keep it charged or just take it out and bring it inside? Is it hard to take a battery out. I'm sure its not but I have never done that.

Any suggestions. I also used a fuel stablizer this year for the first time. Told it can help. I don't think it can hurt..
Old 11-23-03, 10:33 PM
JCtx
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

Fuel stabilizer was a smart move; it maintains the fuel fresh up to a year. The trick is to put it in fresh fuel, and drive for a few miles to get it into the entire system. I"m going to start doing that on my car since I drive it infrequently; this is the second tank that lasts me over a month.

As for the battery, there's no need to remove it if you use a 1.25 amp charger, like a battery tender II; just charge it once a week. However, my recommendation is to remove the battery, check the 'water' level (add distilled water if necessary), make sure there're no leaks, and clean the terminals and posts. Any acid spill caught early causes only cosmetic damage. And now a question: why the hell Lexus doesn't put a f*#@ing AGM or Gel battery on a $60K+ car? Unbelievable.

To remove: disconnect the terminals, remove 2 nuts holding the bracket and remove it, pop out (with a small screwdriver) a couple of battery cables snapped to the sleeve, remove the sleeve, and finally the battery.

And you're smart; it's better not to start the car at all if you're not going to drive at least 10 miles.

Hope this helps.

JC
Old 11-24-03, 09:57 AM
1NICESC430
Instructor

This winter will be the third winter I will have stored my '02 SC with a BatteryTender Plus maintaining the battery charge. Go here http://www.batterytender.com/ to learn a little more about this device.

The connector design allows me to permanently attach the battery side and then connect the charger side whenever required. See the arrows in the attached pic. No strain, no pain; no fuss, no muss.
Attached Thumbnails SC430 Storage / Winter Storage Master Thread (merged)-bt.jpg  
Old 11-24-03, 10:01 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,112 Likes on 1,289 Posts

I've been preparing to make an annoucement about 'Getting your Lexus ready for winter' and have a few threads bookmarked that might be useful.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=60527 (winter storage)
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=60855 (more winter storage of car)
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=59230 (antifreeze mix)
Old 01-08-04, 02:39 PM
DropTop430
Driver

Default Winter Storage- Dead Battery.

I've got my SC in the garage for the past 2 months. The battery is dead for sure. I am not planning on driving it till spring in Ontario, Canada (read April)

Should I just leave it and worry about it then or should I charge it back up with some kinda of battery charger/battery tender?

Is there any harm in leaving flat dead? Worst case I would need a new battery?

What do you think

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: SC430 Storage / Winter Storage Master Thread (merged)