Antenna Mast wont go up or down???? $635.00 for a Radio Antenna

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-11, 05:21 PM
rclab1
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Antenna Mast wont go up or down???? $635.00 for a Radio Antenna

On the 2002-2005 SC430,

My Radio Antenna wont go up/down, I hear a motor noise (click, burring noise) but antenna wont go up when I turn my radio "on".

my dealership told me that the "antenna cable is broken in motor"?

My dealership just quoted me ~$635.00 with Labor to replace "Antenna Mast, Cable, and Motor".

Does anyone know where I can get a much lower priced (used) "Antenna Mast, Cable, and Motor"?
I figure I can buy a "used" one that works and save there and take the hit on Labor from the dealership. Maybe a junkyard?

Thanks for the help

p.s.
If I hear the motor, do I need a whole new Motor replacement? or just the "antenna mast and white gears" ????

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/5738599-post8.html

Last edited by rclab1; 11-26-11 at 05:41 PM.
Old 11-26-11, 05:53 PM
cwhtrains
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Do a search on these boards and you will find that there are posts from several years ago that show how to remove the existing antenna and motor assembly, and those posts also include the service manual pages as well. I recently had to do this same repair and ended up taking out the broken antennna shaft cable that was inside the motor assembly. It was pretty much a pain to get out of the car and I had to buy a 45 Torx socket to take apart the trunk support to get to the motor. All of the steps are explained in the manual pages.

I bought one of the discount antenna shaft replacements from E-bay for about $10.00. It broke the first time I put it in. As a result, I had to buy another one, this time from the dealer for $69. Once everything was reassembled the dealer part worked every time. It took me a fair amount of time to do everything, probably five hours or so. I could do it much faster now having done it once. One thing the local dealer parts guy said concerning this issue is that the most common problem is the breaking of the internal cable on the antenna shaft and not the motor and he strongly suggested I try the new shaft first. They did not stock the entire motor assembly due to low demand.

Clayton

Last edited by cwhtrains; 11-26-11 at 05:57 PM.
Old 11-26-11, 06:46 PM
VVTiBob

Received 265 Likes on 201 Posts

Follow this link https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-430/577190-help-antenna-wont-go-down.html
You'll find the instructions in post # 3. If you can hear the motor working there's no need to replace the motor et al. Just the mast which is about a 15 minute job. The most likely cause of your problem is stripped teeth in the nylon cable which raises and lowers the mast.

Last edited by VVTiBob; 11-26-11 at 07:05 PM.
Old 11-26-11, 07:02 PM
huy33
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

You can get the antenna mast and cable for $49.98 at Sewell Lexus Parts with our CL discount:

http://lexus.sewellparts.com/accesso...2009/4458.html

If you need an individual part it's here:

http://lexus.sewellparts.com/oem-cat...C430-2009.html
Old 11-26-11, 07:19 PM
VVTiBob

Or $15 on eBay.....but if it were me I'd buy the OEM part.
Old 11-27-11, 03:01 AM
srqmark
Rookie

Right after I bought my SC, the antenna broke, I heard the same grinding noise etc.... I purchased a replacement from Ebay, installed it with the instructions the vendor provided and had it fixed in minutes (once I figured out how to get to the antenna motor itself). I also had to take apart the antenna motor itself to get the broken piece from the old antenna mast out. Its been just about a year now since I installed it and so far I haven't had a problem with it again. Here is a mast on Ebay

Last edited by srqmark; 11-27-11 at 03:09 AM.
Old 11-27-11, 03:19 AM
rclab1
Pole Position

Thanks all,

I do hear the antenna-"motor" when I turn the Radio 'on'.

I will buy the Antenna with the white cabled teeth first and have the dealer install that 1st.
I do not know why they told me I need a whole new antenna motor?
I can here that antenna motor "whine, click, humming" when I turn my Radio 'on'.

p.s.
anyone know labor amount? and $
Old 11-27-11, 07:56 AM
VVTiBob

If it is just the antenna mast it really is a DIY by following the directions I posted previously and a 15 minute job. If there are other issues it's a substantial job. The reason: several parts of the trunk garnish must come out and then go back in to access the antenna assembly. Take a look inside your trunk and you'll see all the interlocking pieces of gray carpeted garnish - meaning half the trunk has to come apart to get to the antenna assembly, and on the outside, the antenna mount must come apart too. @ $120+ an hour labor costs add very quickly especially when it's for non technical labor (taking plastic and carpeted panels apart then putting them all back together). If a technician follows the service manual, and doesn't skip or take shortcuts, a two, to three hour job. However an experienced tech could easily do it <60 with the dealership charging the preset service time for the job.

If you go to this thread:
SC430 trunk and antenna
go to posts 3 and 4 you'll find PDFs on getting the trunk apart and the antenna assembly out.

Last edited by VVTiBob; 11-27-11 at 08:14 AM.
Old 12-06-11, 05:04 PM
rclab1
Pole Position

I wanted to ask about my antenna 2005 SC430.
the motor works, but I bought a OEM new antenna mast w/plastic teeth on it.

now, here is my problem, the dealership says that the teeth on the antenna motor is "stripped"???? and I need a NEW antenna Motor Assembly?
are they ripping me off? or stripped gears on the motor impossible?

is that possible on the Antenna motor assembly?

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/5246434-post3.html

I dont really want to pay over $650 for a New Antenna Motor/ antenna Mast, and Labor.

Last edited by VVTiBob; 12-06-11 at 08:13 PM. Reason: handled via a PM
Old 02-07-12, 03:07 AM
dacman61
Driver School Candidate

Default Cheap eBay Antennas

I just tried one of those cheap $15 eBay antennas and it only lasted a few hours. The toothed cable became unattached from the base of the antenna itself.... Looks like I should go OEM next time someday when this one gets snapped off.
Old 02-08-12, 07:42 AM
igorxx
Driver

Default Buying the cheap Amazon antenna

I would not recommend purchasing the Amazon antenna. I bought two. The first one came loose at the antenna and the second one broke. The cable of the Amazon antenna is much smaller than the oem.
Old 05-03-13, 09:39 AM
jreichek
Driver School Candidate

Default antenna only goes up 3" - 3 in. - 3 inches

If the antenna motor in the passenger side front fender is not making a racket (indicative of a broken antenna mast nylon) and it goes on and off with the radio but only raises the antenna 3" or so. And the antenna does pull down and seat when the radio is turned off, then chances are the problem is, relievingly, the antenna switch in the dash (which raises and lowers the antenna) needs to be pressed to raise the antenna...
Old 05-03-13, 12:30 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by jreichek
If the antenna motor in the passenger side front fender is not making a racket (indicative of a broken antenna mast nylon) and it goes on and off with the radio but only raises the antenna 3" or so. And the antenna does pull down and seat when the radio is turned off, then chances are the problem is, relievingly, the antenna switch in the dash (which raises and lowers the antenna) needs to be pressed to raise the antenna...
You must mean the rear fender. There is no accessible switch for the antenna other then the radio on and off button. The channel you have set for the FM radio does control the antenna at different lengths for better reception. I don't believe one of those settings adjusts the length to 3 inches. It sounds to me like you will need to remove the antenna motor and repair if possible or replace.