SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

SC430 Driver's Airbag change DIY

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-11, 02:31 PM
SlvBullet
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default SC430 Driver's Airbag change DIY

This is my first DIY writeup so let me know if you have any comments or questions. I wanted to change my Lexus emblem on the steering wheel airbag for the JDM Soarer emblem which I have on the grill. I couldn't find the emblem alone so I looked for the airbag. I found a new airbag cover without the bomb in Japan. I searched for DIY guides to remove the steering wheel or airbag and only found guides and picture for the RX300 or GS. It turns out there are a few differences in the SC430, and few things that were more difficult than described, so I want to capture that before I forget the details.

Required Tools

> 12 mm socket - to remove the battery connectors
> Curved Pic - to remove the screw cover on the right side of the steering wheel and the cover on the left.
> Phillips screwdriver - to remove the radio control panel on the left of the steering wheel
> 8 mm socket - to remove the bomb from your original airbag and attach to the new one
> Torx screwdriver T30 - to remove the two bolts holding down the airbag
> Longnose pliers- to remove the Turx bolts.

Steps

IMPORTANT – YOU MUST DISCONNECT THE BATTERY AND ALLOW THE AIRBAG TO LOSE ALL STORED POWER. FOR SAFETY I WOULD WAIT AT LEAST 15 MIN.

I taped the end of the ground wire to make sure it couldn’t move and make contact the battery.

1. Locate the bolt covers on each side of the steering wheel. The right cover is a small round plug with a tiny groove where you can insert a curved pic to pull it out. On the left side, very different from the RX300, the bolt is hidden under the radio controls.

2. Remove the cover of the radio controls on the right of the steering wheel. There is a small square hole in the rear where you can insert a pic to press in to release the plastic lock. Then the cover pops up.

3. Remove the radio control panel by removed the two small golden screws with the Phillips screwdriver.

4. Remove the two bolts that hold the airbag down. These are Turx T30. You cannot use a socket driver because it will not fit in the hole. You must use a single piece Turx screwdriver. Also note that unless they have been removed before, the factory installation is very tight. I had to use another screwdriver in a hole in the handle of the Turx screwdriver to apply more torque.

5. You must totally remove these two Turx bolts otherwise the airbag will not come off. This was difficult because there are held in place with a plastic piece. You must use a longnose plier to remove these bolts. Once totally removed the airbag comes up easily.

6. Disconnect the electrical cable. There is only one cable at least on the 2004 model. There are threads for other models that mentions that newer airbags have two bombs so don’t be surprised if the newer SC’s have two cables. On the connector you need to push the top slider to release the airbag bomb cable.

7. Remove the cable from the support on the metal plate because it blocks access to one of the four nuts. You must lift slightly the middle prong on the connector to release it from the support.

8. Remove the four nuts, remove the bomb, place on the new airbag cover, replace the four screws and replace the connector on the metal stand.

9. Replace the airbag in the steering wheel. This had two complications:

a. You must apply pressure down for proper alignment because the horn assembly has springs.

b. It was difficult to get the alignment correct in order for the bolt to catch the thread. The plastic bolt guides make that more difficult but you’ll get it. I started on the right – it might be easier to start on the left. If you place the bolt in the plastic bolt holder before you try to align the cover, you will see that there’s a stop in the middle of the bolt head that helps it stay in place. Then with the airbag in place you have to press in, while turning the screw driver. I did this and it seems to move in but didn’t take the threads and never tightened. So I went to the other side where I had to hit the assembly to get it fully in place and then both bolts went in easily.

10. Replace the radio cover panel and cover, and replace the cover of the right bolt.

11. Replace the battery cables, first positive and the ground last.

12. I have read some horror stories about people messing with their airbags so I was probably over cautious. Carefully test the electrical functions – first signal lights while standing outside the car. Then I inserted the key and turned on the power. Then I started the car also from outside the car. I was careful that my head and face was not in front of the airbag just in case.

13. Everything worked fine.

14. I read in other threads that there is a chance that your airbag warning light remains on and you may have to have Lexus reset the computer. I did not have that problem.

I hope someone finds this useful.
Attached Thumbnails SC430 Driver's Airbag change DIY-rt.-bolt-cover-1.jpg   SC430 Driver's Airbag change DIY-left-radio-control-cover-2.jpg   SC430 Driver's Airbag change DIY-right-torx.jpg   SC430 Driver's Airbag change DIY-airbag-exposed.jpg  
Attached Images  
Old 11-25-11, 02:34 PM
SlvBullet
Lexus Test Driver

more pictures
Attached Thumbnails SC430 Driver's Airbag change DIY-airbags.jpg   SC430 Driver's Airbag change DIY-torx-screw-holders.jpg   SC430 Driver's Airbag change DIY-steering-wheel.jpg  
Old 11-25-11, 06:49 PM
A1Lexis
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great detailed DIY and pics. The new emblem looks great
Old 11-26-11, 09:20 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

Very impressive SlvBullet. That's one mod I would have stayed away from just because of the air bag. I'm glad you made it through unscathed.
Old 11-26-11, 01:06 PM
scdroptop

Received 47 Likes on 22 Posts

Sweet write up! I will add to the sticky FAQ! Very nice!!!
Old 11-27-11, 04:35 AM
bacardi
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

SLVBULLET
were did you buy the air bag and how much was it?
gene

Last edited by bacardi; 11-27-11 at 04:41 AM.
Old 11-27-11, 05:45 PM
bacardi
Lead Lap

were did you get it and how much was the cost please let me know.
Old 11-27-11, 08:40 PM
SlvBullet
Lexus Test Driver

Barcardi -

I purchased it from a parts supplier in Japan JZS International. Masahiro Tabata for $333 new plus shipping = $ 458. I should have shipped it to a friend in Japan who will come here in S
Dec but hindsight in 20:20 I guess.

tabakyonjp@yahoo.co.jp

I think it was the last one. CL member jdmteeth has a new soarer wheel with a black airbag. The wheel has the light color wood and shipping with the bomb might be difficult but you might want to write him.

Member teammember may also be able to help. Good luck.
Old 12-07-11, 03:17 PM
Rockero28
Lexus Champion

Okay I hope this is not a stupid question... I have a 98 GS...... IF my airbag was deployed in a very minor collision, can I do the same thing to replace it? Any issue with having to replace any front sensors? There was very little noticeable damage to the car, so the sensors are intact. It appears that if the car is hit on a specific spot, it triggers the sensors and deploys the airbags. As for the passenger side, how hard is that airbag to replace, AND is the cover replaceable or do I have to get the whole dash?? Yiiikes, I hope not! Any and all help will be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks,
Rock
Old 12-07-11, 05:11 PM
SlvBullet
Lexus Test Driver

The procedure to change the drivers airbag would be about the same (i think the left bolt cover is different). I can't comment on the sensors - I think I would want have them checked. I also dont know about the passenger side - worth searching ... Good luck