SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Installing Orange Elec TPMS

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-11, 10:11 AM
kjcole
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Installing Orange Elec TPMS

1. Used the circuit for the power outlet (the one in the center console) at the driver's kick panel. I wired in the power cable from the Orange E display by soldering the +VCC leads (red and green wires together) to one leg of the 15 amp mini-fuse for the power outlet (fuse box at driver's kick panel). Tin one leg of the fuse as close to the plastic body of the fuse as possible, then solder the tinned wires to the fuse. I used a variable power soldering station with a very small tip. This circuit supplies power with the ignition in ACC or ON, but not Start. Perfect.

2. Wired the ground to the screw of a metal electronic component box just above the fuse box.

Alert: The Orange Electronics manual for the 409S kit wrongly lists the ground wire as the smaller diameter black wire that is molded to the power cable. That is actually the antenna! The electrical ground (negative) is the shielding around the red and green wires that are encased in the thicker wire of the molded power cable. Sort of like co-axial cable. I stripped it back, twisted the shield and soldered it to another wire to run to the screw I used for ground.

3. Fed the power cable behind the lower dashboard fascia and through the opening for the parking brake release lever (use cable ties to keep the power cable out of the way of the parking brake application linkage, behind the dashboard). The connector for the display looks like a mini-USB with good strain-relief. Plugs in the left side of the display so it sticks out a little (see pic).

4. I cut a wedge of foam and used adhesive-backed Velcro to attach the foam (thin part of wedge pointing up) to the Parking Brake release handle, and then Velcro'ed the TPMS display monitor to the foam using the Velcro they supplied (the wedge keeps the display vertical - get more aggressive with the wedge and you can tilt the monitor slightly up if you prefer. Out of the way of my knees yet easily checked while driving. Doesn't affect my ingress/egress. I chose to set the display to the right of center of the parking brake release handle for a little better line-of-sight and so it is farther from the door when closed. One thing I don't like is the annoying beep when you power up the car. Very un-Lexus-like.

Kelly
Attached Thumbnails Installing Orange Elec TPMS-smalleryet.jpg  

Last edited by kjcole; 11-03-11 at 08:33 AM.
Old 10-24-11, 11:46 AM
talwang

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

You can use the attachments button (right next to the font colors button) to upload your photos.
Old 11-02-11, 06:23 AM
kjcole
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks, picture added.