SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

AC Stopped Blowing Cold!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-11, 06:44 AM
momssc
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AC Stopped Blowing Cold!!

I have some back ground in AC repair but not sure about this one. AC was blowing ice cold then just blowing ambient air temp. Anyone practice ac repair in here? Seems the Lexi don't have many ac problems per my search in this forum.

For anyone that knows here are my gauge readings:

Low side= 75 psi
High side =175 psi

Static reading is even at both gauges @ 125 psi

AC on MAX cool, engine running 1500-2000 RPM, windows down and fan on HIGH at 80 degrees.

Gauges read the above whether idling or at speed. Both needle fluxuate back and forth a little at the same time. The compressor is quiet

What do you think?

Thanks for your input!
Old 10-08-11, 08:00 AM
scdroptop

Received 47 Likes on 22 Posts

Sounds like a classic freon leak in the line somewhere. Not a common issue on SC's you are right. I'd take it to dealer and have them add freon and test for links. Since you know about AC repair, you know that it's a process of eliminating the suspected source when fixing it...start with the least expensive methods and work your way up. Belt (no problem it sounds like), no fuse issue it sounds like, Low freon-add freon hopeful no leak (could be a possibility here), dryer, condenser and compressor obviously are the big ones.

I had a compressor go out on my 95 SC400. It wasn't cheap. Back in 2000 I was just getting into eBay...today I'd buy it on there for sure!

Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 10-08-11, 09:56 AM
momssc
Driver

I tried adding Freon and it will not take it. The can is under pressure at 90 psi and my LOW side is at 75 psi. You would think the LOW pressure side would at least pressure up tp 90 psi because of the can pressure but it doesn't. Maybe if the compressor isn't working, it won't take FREON.

I have the factory manual and I don't think it's a leak because of the HIGH low pressure levels. I think at this point it is either the Compressor OR the Expansion Valve(maybe stuck open). Hope it's not the EV because the whole dash would have to come out and I told the wife if it is the EV, then just get used to the top being down because I can't pull all that apart and I don't trust anyone else that I know!! If it's the Compressor(even though it is QUIET)then replacing that would be no problem for me.

Last edited by momssc; 10-08-11 at 10:03 AM.
Old 10-08-11, 10:17 AM
VVTiBob

Received 265 Likes on 201 Posts

DTC codes?
Old 10-08-11, 11:33 AM
momssc
Driver

Originally Posted by VVTiBob
DTC codes?
No codes. Everything else works normally like heat and fan speed etc....
Old 10-08-11, 06:41 PM
VVTiBob

Have you run through the diagnostic pre check as recommended in the FSM. (around page 05-451 or so). And the A/C fuse in the passenger side junction block?
Old 10-08-11, 09:16 PM
momssc
Driver

Have you run through the diagnostic pre check as recommended in the FSM. (around page 05-451 or so). And the A/C fuse in the passenger side junction block?
Not yet but what would that fuse protect? Compressor is operating. I will ck that tomorrow...
Old 10-09-11, 10:15 AM
VVTiBob

Fuse 27 in the Passenger side fuse block covers the A/C controller. It's a 5A fuse
Attached Thumbnails AC Stopped Blowing Cold!!-passsidefuseblock.png  
Old 10-09-11, 07:50 PM
momssc
Driver

I ran the test today per factory manual and the codes were 00. No codes. I have located the Expansion Valve and will replace and recharge when Valve comes in. We shall see....
Old 10-09-11, 07:51 PM
momssc
Driver

Fuse 27 in the Passenger side fuse block covers the A/C controller. It's a 5A fuse
I pulled it and figured it was for the AC controller because the time needed to be reset.
Old 10-09-11, 08:24 PM
scdroptop

so this means the compressor is GOOD? I would think if the compressor was bad you'd smoke your serpentine belt because the compressor pulley wouldn't be moving it along. Had my Supra compressor go out once and I thought my whole car was on fire but it was just the compressor causing the belt to burn up. Hope it's not a/c terminal cancer....after we eliminate the small things it may be time to look at the condenser, blower motor or receiver dryer unit. Let's hope it's not any of those---much more complex than just a bolt on compressor.
The following users liked this post:
exfirefly (04-11-19)
Old 10-10-11, 05:39 AM
momssc
Driver

Originally Posted by scdroptop
so this means the compressor is GOOD? I would think if the compressor was bad you'd smoke your serpentine belt because the compressor pulley wouldn't be moving it along. Had my Supra compressor go out once and I thought my whole car was on fire but it was just the compressor causing the belt to burn up. Hope it's not a/c terminal cancer....after we eliminate the small things it may be time to look at the condenser, blower motor or receiver dryer unit. Let's hope it's not any of those---much more complex than just a bolt on compressor.
Well the cheaper thing at the moment is the EV. If not that the Compressor is next. And if not that then ???..
Old 10-10-11, 04:53 PM
momssc
Driver

Sounds like this guy had the same problem as me. The Expansion Valve probably. $2K for $40 part and some Freon and Labor. Here are some of his quotes:

"Onto last week. I took vacation to Palm Desert and my AC failed (it was over 100‘). Desert Lexus said that the AC component that was behind the dash had failed. They also said, ’we don’t see this happen often."

" I had the honor of paying $1,996.00 to receive cold air and to have my car raped without as much as a ‘thank you very much.”
Old 10-12-11, 09:31 PM
scdroptop

any update on this?
Old 10-13-11, 05:26 AM
momssc
Driver

yeah, was sent wrong part.....

Quick Reply: AC Stopped Blowing Cold!!