4 Wheels Alignment After New Set Of Coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-11, 07:13 AM
trussard
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4 Wheels Alignment After New Set Of Coilovers

Hey there,

I just got a new set of coilovers along with set of 19's.

As the bad inward camber after getting the new coilovers, just went to a local shop trying to do a 4 wheels alignment, but I was told that I can only adjust the toe but not camber on our cars. That mean it will not doing any good on tire wear even after the alignement. Can someone share his experience and let me know if there's a way to correct the camber?

Thanks very much guys!!

Last edited by trussard; 09-30-11 at 08:56 PM.
Old 09-24-11, 08:07 AM
scdroptop

Received 47 Likes on 22 Posts

Trussard-many of us have been there and done this. Depends on what you bought. I have Megan Street LP's. http://www.meganracing.com/product_d...=1013&catid=30

Two of us recently experienced this in 2011...do a search and you will find the nitty gritty details. In short, Megans can be adjusted and I did just that. I was WAY off after the install. You will notice that there is a sweet spot (if you are conservative like me) beetween lowering and getting close back to factory camber and toe in. You don't get it perfect, but you can get close.

I went to NTB and bought their one year alignment special because they have all the expensive machines to do this. I actually watched them adjust it...pretty cool. They also give you a nice computer read out as well with all your numbers on it. I'd highly recommend them or someone like them to do it. Hope this helps
Old 09-24-11, 08:19 AM
trussard
Driver School Candidate

thanks scdroptop.

That's awsome that you have a decent shop around. Unfortunately I am in Canada, and really need to find someone professional. My coilovers are also adjustable, is that mean if i am able to find the sweet spot, the camber setting will be closer enough to the factory settings that we don't even have to do the alignment? What's the approx measures between the edge of the tire & fender on yours? Mine has about 15mm gap now.

I thought there's a limitation on adjusting the camber due to the design of the suspension. (at least that's what i found on the web)
Old 09-24-11, 08:29 AM
scdroptop

I will measure in mm and get back to you later this morning...I will also scan in my NTB alignment specs I can show you which were brought back to the MAX as far as it would go.

My conservative approach was that I had 20" wheels/tires and my car looked like a 4x4 and I wanted a tasteful drop with NO rubbing whatsoever but low enough for people to notice and like the stance and for me to like the stance to make it all worthwhile. Also from a stiffness standpoint I loved the fact that Megan LP's had so many options to adjust because I'm a multipile choice kind of guy! I live around some bumpy roads and railroad tracks so I wanted to make sure this was a "smart mod" if there is such a thing!

I'll get back to you later...in short there is a limit and you will still definitely need an alignment.

Do you have a BIg O Tires, Tire Kingdom or NTB by you at all? Pep Boys? Firestone? Goodyear? They all should have alignment machines. If not take to Lexus Dealer or Toyota Dealer.
Old 09-24-11, 08:34 AM
scdroptop

Here is the camber, toe in and alignment specs that I had done as close to factory as I could get. Note: This was my final alignment (I had two) after adjusting the height. I noticed even over some pretty good bumps in the road I would rub just a little so I brought the car up about 1/8" just enough so I would have no rubbing. When I did that it needed adjustments. Lesson learned: Make all height adjustments before you get alignment!
Attached Thumbnails 4 Wheels Alignment After New Set Of Coilovers-alignment.jpg  
Old 09-24-11, 08:44 AM
scdroptop

Just measured in mm for the following:

Front tire: 2.75mm from top of fender lip (lowest part of fender, not upper lining)
Front tire: 3mm in from outermost part of fender lip at the top of the tire

Rear tire: 2mm from top of fender lip
Rear tire: 2mm in from outermost part of the fender lip

Sorry you'll have to convert the NTB print out to metric...only done in inches!

On a final note: I've never been 100% happy with the front looks...I wish my tires would come out just a little at the top and considered many times doing spacers but realized I was just being picky and it looked great and not to mess with it...especially if you have a warranty on tires, etc. My tire shop won't service my car if it has spacers.

I bought the wheels long before I bought the coilovers so another lesson learned is so keep your modding ideas all synchronized so you have the total look you want before you start...wheels, tires, coilovers and body kit. I am considering a body kit now and I all of a sudden find myself potentially buying new wheels/tires too
Old 09-24-11, 08:49 AM
trussard
Driver School Candidate

thanks so much again.

I went to a couple tire shops (I think one of them is Big O Tires, and was told by both shops that an alignement won't do any good to the camber due to the design of the car. They can only adjust the toe. I might need to go around town and see if others and dealers are telling me the same.

Seems like I am getting closer on a flush look (now camber is pretty inward) since you are giving me some good advises on alignment. I am not starting to worry if they will rub once the camber is back to normal. As you may know, we have a really thick fender lip (20mm with my measurement), not sure if 15mm gap would be enough after the alignment.

Side note: Since i was told camber can't be adjusted earlier and the top of the rims were way inside the fender. I was trying to put in a 20mm spacers at the rear for a flush look. Unfortunately they rub so bad, peeling off the sidewall and edge of the tires. It rubs on sharp turn especially when roads are bumpy.
Old 09-24-11, 09:08 AM
scdroptop

I would say that you may want to raise it then, Trussard. If it bothers you...some have said that the longer it rubs, the less lining you will have and one day there will be no more rubbing!

What kind of coilovers do you have? Do they have the camber adjustment? Big O is a NTB affiliate....they should have the expensive machine. You might want to explain to them what you have if they do have the adjustments on them and see if they can help.

Also, raising height will change all of that. You'd be surprised how much 1/8" or 1/4"in (sorry about lack of metric) can make on all these issues.

Do a search...there is a bunch of great tips from other folks who have lowered their cars. Do you rub when you go over bumps? RR tracks? Pull into driveways? Personally I couldn't stand that so I had to change.

The other thing you will notice...the lower you go, the rougher the ride. Some things to think about.
Old 09-24-11, 09:52 AM
trussard
Driver School Candidate

You're awsome!! Will definately check out some other local tires shop and see if anyone is willing to help me with the alignment.

WIth the spacers previously on the rear, they rub when cornering at a higher speed and on rough roads while cornering. They don't really rub over bumps or to a driveway.
Unfortunately they are not rubbing again the lining, but to the edge of the fender (people call it fender lip here i think). It's the approx 20mm edge between the exterior of the fender and the lining right above the wheels. They have sharp edges causing the sidewall of the tires being "cut". I wouldn't take them off if i have a choice, as they look really cool when having a perfect flush look with the spacers

so have you came up with a choice of body kit at your end? I personall like the Tom's, not as agressive, but still look much better than stock.

Last edited by trussard; 09-24-11 at 10:00 AM.
Old 09-24-11, 11:02 AM
scdroptop

WALD EXECUTIVE VIP...check out my post earlier this week. Somewhat conservative but really nice. I'm 90% sure I"m going with it...just need to find local body shop that will do the work/paint.
Old 09-24-11, 02:12 PM
Poqman
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Not sure why they say camber can't be adjusted?? It typically cannot be adjusted "enough" on lowered coilovers, but it is adjustable. Look at the rear camber adjustment bolt in post #7 of https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...r-install.html. As discussed by SCdroptop about the sweet spot, I lowered too much and had to raise mine to get within factory settings. Good luck and load some pictures.
Old 09-24-11, 03:10 PM
Pnuge88
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

If you wanna stay low go buy a camber kit from the 2gs.
Old 09-24-11, 08:45 PM
trussard
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Poqman
Not sure why they say camber can't be adjusted?? It typically cannot be adjusted "enough" on lowered coilovers, but it is adjustable. Look at the rear camber adjustment bolt in post #7 of https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...r-install.html. As discussed by SCdroptop about the sweet spot, I lowered too much and had to raise mine to get within factory settings. Good luck and load some pictures.

Thanks Poqman. Do you mena we can have a slight camber adjustment on both front and rear?
Old 09-25-11, 05:55 AM
Poqman
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by trussard
Thanks Poqman. Do you mena we can have a slight camber adjustment on both front and rear?
I'm not 100% sure about the front, maybe someone else can confirm. I saw in another post that camber kits are available. Checkout what mIStaSC says in https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...mber-much.html

Last edited by Poqman; 09-25-11 at 12:51 PM.
Old 09-25-11, 06:43 AM
scdroptop

Remember when you straighten out that wheel you are going to rub even more! I evaluated what was important to me first: 1) safety and no-damage to the car and no noise 2) Lowering the car so it didn't look like a 4x4 with my 20" wheels 3) adjustability and more sporty feel/ride 4) new shocks!

If your # 1 isn't safety/no damage no rubbing noise then I would proceed. Keep in mind if you don't like your car rubbing now it will rub more at the same height if you straighten out the wheels.

This is where the "sweet spot" comes in....lowered just enough to look good, feel good and no rubbing and no ridiculous camber and toe in issues.

You never commented on what kind of coilovers you have???? I'm assuming the camber cannot be adjusted???

Quick Reply: 4 Wheels Alignment After New Set Of Coilovers