SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Rear Seat Belt Magnetic Tabs Replacement

Old 09-23-11, 10:02 AM
jasone36
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Exclamation Rear Seat Belt Magnetic Tabs Replacement

The magnetic tabs which hold the rear seat belts in place are missing from my back seat (they keep the belts from flopping around in the wind when the top is down). The 'tongue' is there, but the magnetic part which the 'tongue' is supposed to magnetically connect to is missing from my back seat. It appears it was ripped out by a previous owner.

Does anyone know if it is possible to replace just the missing circular magnetic part which is supposed to be on the rear seat?

The attached picture shows a car where the tabs are present.

Thank you
Attached Thumbnails Rear Seat Belt Magnetic Tabs Replacement-rear_seats.jpg  
Old 09-23-11, 12:33 PM
VVTiBob

Received 264 Likes on 200 Posts

Neither the "tongue" or the receiver button are shown on the rear seat diagram or restraint system diagrams so my educated guess is they are not available as an item you can order separately. This leaves you with a few choices:
  1. Order a new back seat cover in saddle $1600+
  2. Find a back seat component in a salvage yard
  3. Go to an upholstery shop and have them make two and install them.
  4. Do without them and put with the belts flapping in the wind.
Old 09-23-11, 12:46 PM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by jasone36
The magnetic tabs which hold the rear seat belts in place are missing from my back seat (they keep the belts from flopping around in the wind when the top is down). The 'tongue' is there, but the magnetic part which the 'tongue' is supposed to magnetically connect to is missing from my back seat. It appears it was ripped out by a previous owner.

Does anyone know if it is possible to replace just the missing circular magnetic part which is supposed to be on the rear seat?

Thank you
Off topic but I must say it looks like the condition of your leather is superb, considering it is an 02.
Old 09-23-11, 12:54 PM
VVTiBob

Don't think that's his car.....due to the question by the OP
Old 09-23-11, 06:57 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 96 Posts

...another fix might be to install velcro tabs...don't know the color of your interior,but this could be a quick easy fix that would solve the problem...just a suggestion
Old 09-23-11, 07:51 PM
scdroptop

Received 47 Likes on 22 Posts

+1 Texsexlex...I was just about to suggest these 3M velcro tabs. I've used them for everything from household broken items to auto to pool to toll tags to just about anything. I've used these for about ten years now and absolutely cannot live without having a few sets in the house!

I would thoroughly clean a small part of where the metal fastener was at but got ripped out. Then I would dry thoroughly and wipe with alcohol to ensure no oil or anything is on it. Then I would get these 3M dual lock locking tape at Target for $4.00 and cut VERY small pieces (buy the clear so you cannot see from the side) and tear off the backing on just one side till you like the location/fit. Then remove the other side, adhere to your tab that is flapping and make sure the teeth are locked nice and tight and this should would great. ***These things are REALLY strong...a very small inconspicuous piece will work...you don't want to see it so use just a little tiny piece. You may need some heavy duty scissors to cut. Good luck and keep us posted on what you decide to do, but this is a $4.00 fix that should work great. No, I don't own stock in 3M.

http://www.andybaird.com/travels/gertie/superlock.htm
Old 09-23-11, 10:32 PM
VVTiBob

Great idea on the velcro. Clean, easy to install, effective and very very low cost. Wish I would have thought of it!
Old 09-24-11, 04:55 AM
KBALL
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

another idea...one that has crossed my mind a few times since i have those metal magnetic clips and still get flapping above about 80 mph...is to one day remove those back seat belts.

Anyone try this? possible? Do alarm bells, whistles and blinking lights go off?
Old 09-24-11, 08:18 AM
scdroptop

Received 47 Likes on 22 Posts

I think you could perhaps remove them...no lights would go off that I know of...but you would kill any resale possibilities for the car based on a safety concern PLUS you would have the ugly snap bases showing now!

Perhaps you could tuck them behind the seat???
Old 09-25-11, 06:35 PM
jasone36
Instructor

Thanks for all the input guys, I will definately try the velcro method, it seems like the most logical way to proceed. BTW, the dealer said the entire rear seat needs to be replaced.... lol
Old 09-26-11, 06:06 AM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

Velcro! Yes that wonderfuil invention.
Old 09-26-11, 05:14 PM
pnutting
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile repair

You need part no. 73247-24010 Retainer from your Lexus parts dealer, list $18.42, you do have to remove back of the seat to install.
Old 09-28-11, 06:00 PM
jasone36
Instructor

Thank you for the part number, pnuttung, I will look into this solution.
Old 09-29-11, 12:00 PM
JerryB
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jasone36

Thank you
HI jasone,

Somewhat off topic: I own a small 1-man design & manufacturing business and just completed a prototype item using magnets.

Those things are a simply nutzy when working at a sewing machine; they stick to everything, even the scissors to trim the threads.

Jerry Baumchen
Old 09-29-11, 02:57 PM
Pnuge88
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Since i've made a subbox for the back seat the seatbelts were useless to theyre now behind my seats. No rattles because the interior is dynamatted. It lays on the dynamat then squished by the seat. No problems here... Those metal magnets were junk anyway. They always detached driving on the high way with the top down. Junk. Idk why they didnt decide to use stronger magnets for a 60k car. As of now they are buttoned with cutout velcro straps behind it

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rear Seat Belt Magnetic Tabs Replacement