SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Shaking When Idling

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-12, 06:35 AM
jasone36
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

UPDATE:

The car idles much much smoother now with the new motor mounts and transmission mount I had put in. I would say 75% of the shaking issue is gone, and hopefully the evap cable won't unplug itself anymore. I can still feel a very slight vibration in the steering wheel (if I hold it tight), but nothing like before (my mechanic confirmed the engine mounts were in very bad shape, but said the transmission mount was fine, but replaced anyway).

Before the repair the car would shake somewhat violently when I would start the engine (which I thought was normal), now it does not shake at all when starting the engine.

However, one issue which did NOT go away was the issue where the car made a deafening vibration-like sound when the front of the car was elevated (like when stopped at a traffic light on the top of a hill, with the front of the car sitting above the rest of the car). Unfortunately, this sound is still present, and is noticeable with the windows open and top up (but not with windows closed, or top down, interestingly enough).

Best of luck to anyone facing the same issue. I would say I am happy with the results, even if it cost me nearly $450 for the parts and labor (non-Lexus)
Old 05-29-12, 10:32 AM
donsmith
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ordered new motor and transmission mounts a couple months ago, just yesterday replaced them. Wow, I couldn't believe it, both existing motor mounts were split in half! I guess my engine was resting on the frame via gravity and the tranny mount. This must have affected torque and sloppy feel on bumps and dips. The circled parts below should each be one part.
Shaking When Idling-motormounts.jpg

It drives much smoother now. Check your mounts!
Old 05-29-12, 11:46 AM
VVTiBob

Received 265 Likes on 201 Posts

Yikes! Wonder how long it was in that condition????
Old 05-30-12, 01:00 AM
emg2919
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm going to get this done, trying to see about a fair price. Can you guy that have had this done post how much it cost and if it was at the stealership or an indy shop? I've ready anywhere from 450-750. Trying to get an idea of what to expect.
Old 05-30-12, 01:13 AM
VVTiBob

Usually it's just the two motor mounts, not the tranny mount.
http://lexus.sewellparts.com/oem-cat...C430-2002.html you should be safe at the lower end of your scale.
Old 05-31-12, 12:24 PM
emg2919
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by VVTiBob
Usually it's just the two motor mounts, not the tranny mount.
http://lexus.sewellparts.com/oem-cat...C430-2002.html you should be safe at the lower end of your scale.
Is this referring to my earlier question/post? So, 450...?
Old 05-31-12, 12:46 PM
VVTiBob

Yes, parts and labor...labor being substantially more than the parts themselves.
Old 05-31-12, 01:13 PM
ser67
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I must admit, mine had a shake at idle - but having it serviced with an oil change seems to have sorted it !!

Seems to have been a cheap fix
Old 06-05-12, 11:49 AM
mydakrri
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by donsmith
I ordered new motor and transmission mounts a couple months ago, just yesterday replaced them. Wow, I couldn't believe it, both existing motor mounts were split in half! I guess my engine was resting on the frame via gravity and the tranny mount. This must have affected torque and sloppy feel on bumps and dips. The circled parts below should each be one part.
Attachment 248272

It drives much smoother now. Check your mounts!
I’ve replaced motor mounts on other cars, were these hard to get at and/or replace?? Thanks
Old 06-05-12, 11:59 AM
donsmith
Rookie

Originally Posted by mydakrri
I’ve replaced motor mounts on other cars, were these hard to get at and/or replace?? Thanks
I had full intention of finding out how difficult it was by doing it myself. Then received a 20% labor coupon from the Lexus dealer which only cost me $360 to change all three mounts. It wasn't worth the frustration of possibly putting a hole in the oil pan or worse. I will tell you, for me it's now a different feeling car. Well worth the cost. Sorry, couldn't be more help.
Old 08-01-13, 11:30 AM
sc430sc
Driver School Candidate

Does anyone know how easy it is to do it yourself? Is is as simple as unbolting lifting the motor one side at a time? Are there other hoese, brackets etc. that need to be disconnected to prevent them from breaking due to lifting the motor or trans too high? I have access to a lift and jack, does not sound too hard, but I never really looked at it real close. Thanks!
Old 08-01-13, 11:59 AM
tofu
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sc430sc
Does anyone know how easy it is to do it yourself? Is is as simple as unbolting lifting the motor one side at a time? Are there other hoese, brackets etc. that need to be disconnected to prevent them from breaking due to lifting the motor or trans too high? I have access to a lift and jack, does not sound too hard, but I never really looked at it real close. Thanks!
I've seen it done, what they do is they put hydraulic jack underneath the engine to hold the engine in place and then remove the mounts.. I also seen they use the engine lift.. It is not that easy as you think...
Old 08-01-13, 12:49 PM
pvong713
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tofu
I've seen it done, what they do is they put hydraulic jack underneath the engine to hold the engine in place and then remove the mounts.. I also seen they use the engine lift.. It is not that easy as you think...
I have a slight shake when I start my car and let it sit there. However when I'm at a stop light it doesn't shake one bit. Could this be a result of a bad mount?
Old 08-01-13, 03:01 PM
bacardi11
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

if you going to replace your motor mounts replace with the ( MEGAN MOUNTS ) best and last time you need to ever replace them.

Last edited by bacardi11; 08-02-13 at 04:09 AM.
Old 08-01-13, 06:44 PM
tofu
Pole Position

Originally Posted by pvong713
I have a slight shake when I start my car and let it sit there. However when I'm at a stop light it doesn't shake one bit. Could this be a result of a bad mount?
Probably not. With bad mount the car usually shakes at stops.

Quick Reply: Shaking When Idling