SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Rear window mod diy!!!

Old 09-04-14, 07:16 AM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Given the following limitation, I decided not to do this mod. Too much of a hassle, plus I already worry about the Rube Goldberg nature of the top.

One downside to the independent control over the rear windows is...it temporarily locks out the folding top.

If the top is up, and you roll the rear windows down, the only way to get the top working again is to A) put the windows back up into the correct position and then B) turn the car off and back on again.

Ditto for putting the windows up with the top down. Only way to get the top to go up is to the put the windows back down and cycle the ignition.

This is due to how the top computer works. When you manually take control of the rear windows, the top computer sees that the windows moved without it's say-so, and considers that a fault. Once it detects the fault, it stops monitoring. Basically, it gives up.
Old 09-04-14, 08:42 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyCake
Given the following limitation, I decided not to do this mod. Too much of a hassle, plus I already worry about the Rube Goldberg nature of the top.
If you have the luxlink installed then the window mod is easier to install but yes as Johnny says it will work with the same conditions. Its a simpler install because you don't have to install a separate switch [ It works off the drivers side down switch you press it 3 times to operate up or down for the rear windows . They will go down one at a time so as to not overload the circuit ]
Old 09-04-14, 08:55 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by bimmer416
This mod allows you to put your rear quarter windows down with the top up which is originally not a feature .

Now where the hell was this thread when I needed it lol. I did this about a month and half ago thanks to darthsid who gave me the courage and help to attempt this. Best mod seriously! And thank you to the creators!
Darthsid send some of that courage my way...lol..This is a mod that I would really like to add, but have been afraid to jump in. I've tackled most of my other mods with no fear at all, this one just makes me nervous for some reason
Old 09-05-14, 07:32 PM
DarthSid
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by texsexlex
Darthsid send some of that courage my way...lol..This is a mod that I would really like to add, but have been afraid to jump in. I've tackled most of my other mods with no fear at all, this one just makes me nervous for some reason
Texsexlex, several weeks ago I spent the evening emailing bimmer416 to take the leap in adding this mod to his vehicle. He also had the same reservations in taking the plunge. Needless to say, bimmer416 took the plunge and was successful in adding the quarter window mod. The key points in being successful is to follow the instructions provided by one of our members. Take your time and read every detail and follow them to the "T. " Also ensure you have the correct parts, and always disconnect the car power source before commencing any work. In a scale from 1 to 10, I rate this mod a 7 for the average individual. But it still can be done. For the mechanically and electronically inclined this mod is a 2 or 3.

Best of luck and remember you are not alone because you have countless supporters/members to steer you in the right direction.
Old 09-05-14, 09:02 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by DarthSid
Texsexlex, several weeks ago I spent the evening emailing bimmer416 to take the leap in adding this mod to his vehicle. He also had the same reservations in taking the plunge. Needless to say, bimmer416 took the plunge and was successful in adding the quarter window mod. The key points in being successful is to follow the instructions provided by one of our members. Take your time and read every detail and follow them to the "T. " Also ensure you have the correct parts, and always disconnect the car power source before commencing any work. In a scale from 1 to 10, I rate this mod a 7 for the average individual. But it still can be done. For the mechanically and electronically inclined this mod is a 2 or 3.

Best of luck and remember you are not alone because you have countless supporters/members to steer you in the right direction.
...thanx for those words of encouragement. I think I saved the detailed instructions that you are referring to. I'll probably give it a try, in the next month or so..I feel like I'm a little above the average when it come's to diy projects, so I may go for it. I have another project that I'm planning, that will require taking out all the trunk interior & rear seat, so may do it then....thanx again & I may be pm'ing you when I get closer to doing it
Old 09-06-14, 01:47 AM
416tt
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Definately big thanks to darthsid. LikeI said I wouldn't have even thought about doing it if he didn't reach out to me. it took me a long time to actually get on this, but the best way to start was to just tackle the list of items needed and get those relays together. I was able to wire my relays just by looking at the pics and have them ready for when I take interior apart and this is considering the fact that I'm not an electrical person...

Good luck
Old 09-06-14, 07:23 AM
DarthSid
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by texsexlex
...thanx for those words of encouragement. I think I saved the detailed instructions that you are referring to. I'll probably give it a try, in the next month or so..I feel like I'm a little above the average when it come's to diy projects, so I may go for it. I have another project that I'm planning, that will require taking out all the trunk interior & rear seat, so may do it then....thanx again & I may be pm'ing you when I get closer to doing it
You got it! Take care.