SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

2008 SC430 exhaust upgrade options

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-11, 09:11 AM
AusTexLex
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2008 SC430 exhaust upgrade options

I've added the Injen intake and love it.

Now i want to upgrade the exhaust. Blitz doesn't offer anything for SC430 anymore, I called and asked (was hoping they had some NOS). Only option I can find is the Megan. Any comments on that product, or other suggestions?

Thanks!
Old 09-18-11, 09:20 AM
scdroptop

Received 47 Likes on 22 Posts

I don't have the Megan but the folks I have spoken to with it say they love it and it gave a marginal gain and great sound. Do some searches, I think there is a video I saw as well.

This is the one I was thinking about getting:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MEGAN...item3cbbabbc6e

and this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MEGAN...item2313980e2e

And headers??? Megan makes a test pipe, but I believe this will not make your SC pass any smog tests. Do some searches on that.

For a little over $800 you can add almost a complete cat-back Megan system which IMO is a good price.
Old 09-19-11, 06:04 AM
redliner8
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you want sound and a decent inexpensive exhaust system, Megan is good choice. They're a good company. A custom exhaust will cost more but is another route you could go.
Old 09-19-11, 10:47 AM
GammaLex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

How much are you looking to spend and how long are you willing to wait? There are a couple of JDM ones out there for about $2k before shipping. I have the Blitz setup how much is it worth to you
Old 09-20-11, 01:27 PM
AusTexLex
Rookie

Thanks for your post.

Is the Blitz new or used? That will affect price a lot.

A complete Megan setup with down pipe, mid pipe and mufflers will run me about $900 shipped.

I am not clear on the differences between the Blitz and Megan systems. Can anyone here elaborate?
Old 09-22-11, 07:21 AM
AusTexLex
Rookie

Need to correct my post - Blitz is offering the Nur Spec DT exhaust again.

The Blitz is twice the cost of the Megan exhaust. Does anyone here think it's twice as good? One comment I heard was, "the Bltz is made in Japan, Megan is made in Mexico" to account for the cost difference.

I look forward to you comments and advice. Thank you.
Old 09-22-11, 08:29 AM
redliner8
Lexus Test Driver

I'm not sure how you would compare an exhaust as twice as good. I personally wouldn't use Megan's (nor would I use Blitz), but it seems like price is your biggest factor.

The Megan has a down pipe, the Blitz doesn't (I think).

Both probably sound similar, they have almost identical set ups, although Megan's downpipe deletes the third cat (I think, it doesnt say in the auction) so it'll prob. be louder. Both are still somewhat restrictive with air flow, but again, Megan's downpipe deletes the third cat so it will have more flow than Blitz.

If you want something very inexpensive, you could go to a shop for them to remove your resonators/third cat and replace them with straight pipes. This will change the sound. Do a search, there are some good sound clips on here.

Last edited by redliner8; 09-22-11 at 09:02 AM.
Old 09-22-11, 09:17 AM
AusTexLex
Rookie

<I'm not sure how you would compare an exhaust as twice as good. I personally wouldn't use Megan's (nor would I use Blitz), but it seems like price is your biggest factor. >

I'm looking at spending $1000 to $2000 for an exhaust. That doesn't seem cheap to me. Not necessarily looking for the lowest cost, but the best value. The Blitz is twice as much as the Megan, I simply want to know why.

I'm also curious why you wouldn't use either?

Thanks!
Old 09-22-11, 10:37 AM
redliner8
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by AusTexLex
<I'm not sure how you would compare an exhaust as twice as good. I personally wouldn't use Megan's (nor would I use Blitz), but it seems like price is your biggest factor. >

I'm looking at spending $1000 to $2000 for an exhaust. That doesn't seem cheap to me. Not necessarily looking for the lowest cost, but the best value. The Blitz is twice as much as the Megan, I simply want to know why.

I'm also curious why you wouldn't use either?

Thanks!
Oh, yea, that's def. enough money for a good system If I had to pick between Blitz and Megan, I'd go with Megan. I don't have anything against either of them, I would just rather have a custom exhaust (that's what I did last year on mine for around $1600). Then you can talk with a local shop about the design, flow, and sound; and have them make it for you

Last edited by redliner8; 09-22-11 at 10:45 AM.
Old 09-22-11, 02:17 PM
AusTexLex
Rookie

Just paid for the Megan cat back system with down pipe. I'm not enough of a motor head to do the custom exhaust. Will report on installation and results. Thanks for all the input, this is great forum.
Old 09-22-11, 03:35 PM
SupraD
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I installed Megan cat back on my wife's car about 8 months ago. It's great for the price.
Old 09-23-11, 05:41 AM
tfeni52355
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

SupraD,
Does the Megan exhaust include mounting holes for the stock oxygen sensors? We have smog inspection here in NC and if it doesn't pass they won't renew your registration.
Old 09-28-11, 09:09 AM
SupraD
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, it has the mounting holes for oxygen sensors.
Old 09-28-11, 10:12 AM
cyberlexus
Pole Position

Originally Posted by AusTexLex
Just paid for the Megan cat back system with down pipe. I'm not enough of a motor head to do the custom exhaust. Will report on installation and results. Thanks for all the input, this is great forum.
The down pipe doesn't have cat converter, will you pass emission inspection?
Old 09-28-11, 01:32 PM
AusTexLex
Rookie

<The down pipe doesn't have cat converter, will you pass emission inspection?>

My mechanic that did the install and does my inspections says yes, it will pass.

It's all installed, looks good, can feel a difference in acceleration, and not too loud.

Quick Reply: 2008 SC430 exhaust upgrade options