SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

The Next SC...Panorama Panamania?

Old 09-11-11, 10:12 AM
scdroptop

Received 47 Likes on 22 Posts
Default The Next SC...Panorama Panamania?

As we wonder what current design engineers are working on at Lexus in bringing the next SC to life, you can't deny that the Panorma Panamania that has struck many coupes, sedans and convertibles...even some SUV's recently is probably one of their design considerations.

Obviously if the next SC has a soft top more than likely the Pano top is out...or is it? Could it have a removable middle panel like the 1988-1991 rx-7 convertible? See pic.

Toyota has already discovered that Panorama tops look great on their cars...donning the ES350 (2007) with the beautiful two piece pano roof (front slides, rear doesn't) and the Scion TC...very cool. Maybe others? The Rx270 luxury in Europe offers a pano roof too! Wow! So Toyo/Lexus has the capability to be creative on the roof for sure. Why wouldn't they consider for the new SC???? The Venza has it too!

Not many hardtop convertibles have pano roofs. In fact I can just think of one...the SL/SLK. Maybe others? The pano option is very cool on those cars and really offers the top up experience to be even more luxurious by having an open view of the sky without the elements!

If it does have a hard top convertible...will it have a full glass top like the pano option on the SL? Let's hope! I think it would be very cool.

Is it just a trendy fad? Does the fact that cars under $25k, SUV's and wagons offer the pano roof signify the end to this automobile trend just like gold kits, spoilers, louvers and fender air vents??? Is this trend here to stay? Is it a functional feature? I think so...being a moonroof lover myself I think that this could really offer another dynamic to your convertible experience.

How about an electric slide pano roof? Like an external tilt and slide like the TC? Internal shade and 3-part folding roof like the G37?

The moonroof, coined by the 73 Lincoln certainly has evolved. Many cars have two moonroofs (Maxima), rectangle shaped, tinted, pano...what's next??

Other than cooled seats, paddle shifters a music box, better nav, a SC-F option larger wheels with no pie plates and all our requests...let's talk about the MOST IMPORTANT aspect of the SC convertible...the top!
Attached Thumbnails The Next SC...Panorama Panamania?-rx7-convertible-top.jpg   The Next SC...Panorama Panamania?-rx7convertible.jpg   The Next SC...Panorama Panamania?-es350pano.jpg   The Next SC...Panorama Panamania?-slpano.jpg   The Next SC...Panorama Panamania?-slkpano.jpg  

Old 09-11-11, 10:17 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

I hope it's not a convertible at all.... of any kind.
Old 09-11-11, 10:23 AM
scdroptop

more pano panamania...Maxima's C/E classes have them, Ford Edge, Lincolns, Mini, Scion, Volkswagon EOS and others...

IMO the mustang new glass roof is very nice. Anyone seen this yet?

Anyone know the original Pano roof??? Really it's just a very large moonroof that's removable, but it's definitely cutting edge and it debuted all the way back in 1993 from a Japanese auto mfg that was at the top of their game but now has fallen tremendously??? Anyone??? Anyone??? Beuhler? Beuhler?

****Actually update---technically it's a targa top because it's completely removable, but the Corvette Stingray circa late 70's was the first all glass removable top if you want to really be technical. I'd like to thing from an engineering perspective the above Japanese mfg was way ahead of their time by offering a glass top that was power, removable and part convertible/part targa and certainly different/cutting edge.

Why didn't the Del Sol offer a glass top? Why didn't Mazda make that hard center panel glass? MMMMMM They missed an opportunity for sure. But this car was in 1993 and was definitely cutting edge.

There is no double that the lighter colored cars with pano roofs look really sweet...the white, silver, yellow, etc. How about a white tinted glass on a black or gray or red car??? Might be cool!!!
Attached Thumbnails The Next SC...Panorama Panamania?-mercedesslkmagic-sky.jpg   The Next SC...Panorama Panamania?-es350pano.jpg   The Next SC...Panorama Panamania?-2010_mustang_glass_roof_2.jpg   The Next SC...Panorama Panamania?-vw-eos-white-night-exclusive-edition_1.jpg   The Next SC...Panorama Panamania?-venza-panoramic-roof.jpg  

Last edited by scdroptop; 09-11-11 at 10:30 AM.
Old 09-11-11, 10:30 AM
scdroptop

Rady for the answer???
Old 09-11-11, 10:57 AM
scdroptop

While you all are thinking, let me add something else to my next SC whish list:

HEADREST SPEAKERS!!!! OMG WE HAVE TO HAVE THOSE!!!

Convertibles with headrest speakers:

88-91 RX-7's (very innovative for the time)
90's Miatas (I believe it was the M packages or leather packages that had them)
G37 convertible
Honda S2000

Any other ones you can think of? It would be pretty unique if the next SC drop top had them and certainly a feature you need in any convertible. I've been blessed to have two cars with them in it...my several rx-7 convertibles and my 2004 S2000. I thoroughly enjoyed both of them and dearly miss them in my SC.

I wonder if we can add or retrofit in our SC's currently? Very cool if we could!
Attached Thumbnails The Next SC...Panorama Panamania?-headrest_speaker_system_b.jpg   The Next SC...Panorama Panamania?-ag_09g37conv_headrests.jpg   The Next SC...Panorama Panamania?-cimg2301.jpg  
Old 09-11-11, 11:00 AM
scdroptop

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
I hope it's not a convertible at all.... of any kind.
Coming from a hard core first gen SC'er for sure! I feel ya, I had a 94 SC3 and a 95 SC4 and loved them as coupes too.

How about several options?

SC570 5.7l coupe only with pano roof

SC570 C 5.7l convertible

SC570-CF 5.7l F sport convertible

SC570 F 5.7l f sport coupe???

Let's throw in a SC-H hybrid too just for fun!
Old 09-11-11, 11:04 AM
Solman
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Del Sol top

No see-thru on a Del Sol? Come on Droptop-You know if they make one, I'll get it. Yes, it is aftermarket! But it was perfect-NO airleaks or any leaks for that matter. Outside, you absolutely did not know it was a glass top. Inside it looked great. It lasted me almost 10 years without any problems. You purchased the glass ($800) and replaced the original metal keeping the hardware and interior trim. I, however bought a top off a guy whose Sol was stolen when the top was off, so I bought his top. Therefore I ended up with both tops.

A MAJOR disadvantage is it would get very HOT in the hot weather without any way to get away from the sun-fortunately I had 2 roofs. I probably did the oem roof 5x in ten years because of that but then again, I live in southern california.

John
Attached Thumbnails The Next SC...Panorama Panamania?-rt-side.jpg   The Next SC...Panorama Panamania?-see-thru-top.jpg   The Next SC...Panorama Panamania?-trunk-w_top.jpg  
Old 09-11-11, 11:08 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by scdroptop
Coming from a hard core first gen SC'er for sure! I feel ya, I had a 94 SC3 and a 95 SC4 and loved them as coupes too.

How about several options?

SC570 5.7l coupe only with pano roof

SC570 C 5.7l convertible

SC570-CF 5.7l F sport convertible

SC570 F 5.7l f sport coupe???

Let's throw in a SC-H hybrid too just for fun!
That would be the bomb! I think if Lexus offers both a coupe and a convertible, it would a win-win. BMW can do it with their 6 series, Lexus can surely do the same.
Old 09-11-11, 11:16 AM
76210Guy
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

While we are building a wish list, how about the neck vents like the SLK and SL and heated AND COOLED seats?

My SL had a Pano-roof and the only complaint I had was that it had some mechanical issues with the shade that the dealer corrected, but still a pain to take back and forth. I'd definitely love to have a pano for sure.

PS: I just got a "Hey Baby!" from a Caddy SUV full of young women obviously on their way to a Dallas Cowboys party.. all decked out in Cowboy gear and each one blonder than the next. Did my old 56 year old ego some good today!
Old 09-11-11, 11:17 AM
Solman
Lead Lap

In terms of a wish list for the new SC-give me all the tech my wife has on her Infiniti such as push button start (keyless entry), all-around cameras, 10 gig music box, ETC. just love that tech. I bought her infiniti (in 08) instead of the RX because of the tech. I would love to have the push button start-if you get a car with it you'll never go back. Never take your key out of your pocket/purse. The wife said she didn't care about it--until she got it. No more going thru her purse looking for the keys. Ohhh, how I would love that tech in my SC-and she doesn't even use the music box or xm-whatever is on is what she listens to. I guess I'm just as bad-since I have the music DVD's in my player-thats all I ever have on. BTW, I realize that many things I mentioned are now on the 2010 SC.

John
Old 09-11-11, 12:57 PM
huy33
Lexus Test Driver

The VW Eos has the Pano roof and it can also tilt back as a sunroof. Is that too much? It's the only convertible I know of that the top also function as a sunroof.
Old 11-06-12, 02:42 AM
LexF
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Solman
In terms of a wish list for the new SC-give me all the tech my wife has on her Infiniti such as push button start (keyless entry), all-around cameras, 10 gig music box, ETC. just love that tech. I bought her infiniti (in 08) instead of the RX because of the tech. I would love to have the push button start-if you get a car with it you'll never go back. Never take your key out of your pocket/purse. The wife said she didn't care about it--until she got it. No more going thru her purse looking for the keys. Ohhh, how I would love that tech in my SC-and she doesn't even use the music box or xm-whatever is on is what she listens to. I guess I'm just as bad-since I have the music DVD's in my player-thats all I ever have on. BTW, I realize that many things I mentioned are now on the 2010 SC.

John
John, you're the second post I read today that states the 2010SC is the best SC for tech... What changed in 2010?