SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Road Trip Advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-11, 12:07 PM
Habious

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by grabber2
That's must be fun!!

However, I don't agree that the SC is a small car. Once you park your car next to a s2000, Miata, SLK....the SC430 is big but not in term of useful space
Yeah...I don't get the "small car" mentality either.

I've got the spare tire kit so my trunk is even smaller than most here. Even so, you can fit 2 FULL-SIZED suitcases, sitting upright, in the back seats. And, I'm not talking about the carry-on sized ones...the big ones. They'll fit. Both the wife and I are nearly 6' each so, front seats are all the way back. You might have to adjust the seat-back angle a bit, depending on how laid-back you normally ride.

Between the suitcases, you can fit an oversized camera bag.

- 2 full-sized adults
- Luggage for a week, for 2
- Still room to put the top down

Try that in a Miata!
Old 09-01-11, 08:07 AM
Gutz13
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by grabber2
That's must be fun!!

However, I don't agree that the SC is a small car. Once you park your car next to a s2000, Miata, SLK....the SC430 is big but not in term of useful space
Hey Grabber, I agree, compared to a Miata, it's huge. My daughter has one and I couldn't believe how much bigger the SC looks next to it. But then I parked it next to my Subaru and it shrank considerably! I also must add that it rides hella better than the Miata
Old 09-01-11, 10:52 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by NWcoast
Be extra cautious driving if you are not used to a smaller car/convertible. Watch out for the big rigs. Otherwise, have a ton of fun!
^^^^THIS IS IMPORTANT^^^^

When opening your door, it has a huge swing. When wind gets behind your door, it will swing out fast and pray that it does not hit anything. In my case it hit the brick column while filling up with gas. Be prepared to use expeltives!

So learn from this...you will appreciate it.
Old 09-01-11, 11:28 AM
kjcole
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My son and I flew down to Houston in June to pick up my SC and drive it back to eastern Iowa. Lot's of miles. The trip is still fresh in my mind and here's what we learned:

1. visit the following website, register, and download the nav manual so you can quickly use the nav system (unless you are already familiar with Lexus/Toyota nav)
https://secure.drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrivers/home

2. With the top up you feel like you are in a big car, until you turn around and don't see the rest of the 'sedan' that you feel like you are in

3. Don't forget your glasses and/or sunglasses

4. watch for deer (I grew up in Wisconsin)

5. Make sure you bring a pillow for the passenger b/c you won't want to stop driving
Old 09-01-11, 12:01 PM
Stotlar
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for all of the advice.

I'm looking forward to the trip but that pales in comparison to my wife's enthusiasm. This is her dream car and to say she is excited would be an extreme understatement. I'm just glad the purchase worked out and happened to take place in close proximity to family in a town that has a lot of interesting weekend events.

Ya'll have a great weekend - I'll report back next week with my impressions.
Old 09-01-11, 02:04 PM
sixonemale
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Stotlar
This is her dream car and to say she is excited would be an extreme understatement.
Stotlar,

The SC is also my wife's dream car, hence the reason I researched and purchased it. There are unexplained, extreme gravitational forces that attract females to this car unlike what I've ever experienced before with other cars. I'm not sure why it is the way it is, but when I ask my wife to define this phenomenon, it's like she's in a different world when talking about the SC and the way it looks.

Lastly, you will find yourself driving it more often than what you've anticipated!

Last edited by sixonemale; 09-01-11 at 02:41 PM.
Old 09-23-11, 11:56 AM
Stotlar
Driver School Candidate

Thanks again for all of the advice. The whole experience from picking up the vehicle to the trip home was virtually flawless. My wife was beside herself with enthusiasm and the salesman we dealt with owned an '02 SC so he spent an hour with her going over the operation. Great guy, fun weekend in Madison, Wisconsin, nice visit with family and a great road trip back.
My cursory observation after the trip - I'm 6'2", 290 and was quite comfortable in the car, the run flats are like riding with Fred Flintstone, quality of the vehicle is top shelf, averaged 26 mpg over 650 miles and my wife is still smiling (and I think it's a pretty cool car).

Last edited by Stotlar; 09-23-11 at 12:20 PM.
Old 09-23-11, 03:46 PM
jzwu
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sixonemale
Stotlar,

The SC is also my wife's dream car, hence the reason I researched and purchased it. There are unexplained, extreme gravitational forces that attract females to this car unlike what I've ever experienced before with other cars. I'm not sure why it is the way it is, but when I ask my wife to define this phenomenon, it's like she's in a different world when talking about the SC and the way it looks.

Lastly, you will find yourself driving it more often than what you've anticipated!
No surprise about the female attraction to the SC430, which symbolizes old (mature) and affluent.