SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Foglights On While Headlights Off?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-11, 09:49 AM
jasone36
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

mandyfig, the idea you present is interesting, but I really want to keep this as simple as possible, thus running new wires to the fogs is out of scope for my project. I am okay with not being able to independently control my fogs, as long as they turn on with my parking lights.
Old 09-23-11, 07:09 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by mandyfig
One option that you guys just need to look at is to power the fogs (through the directions as poutlined above) with a direct 12V source (either tap from battery direct or ignition/power on source).

Also when you do this, you must now run a pair of wires into the cabin for your switch.

Now you will have a set of fogs that light up on demand. Ignition /power on source is recommended so even if you forget to turn off your fogs, you are good.

We are getting somewhere.
..yes that's what I'm planning to do at a later date,as we mentioned in the earlier post. I had to change a foglight bulb and decided to do it the quick way while I was under there.I owned a Corvette about 10 yrs ago and ran into the same issue,so thats why I was a little familiar with it.
Old 12-16-11, 09:23 PM
jasone36
Instructor

I have been meaning to start this mod but one thing that keeps bugging me is the idea that I may be pulling too much power from a power source that isn't designed to put out a whole lot of power. I'm concerned that I may end up melting some component in the electrical system by hooking it up directly to the parking light wire.

This is the only thought that is holding me back...
Old 12-17-11, 10:17 AM
intdiamond
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jasone36
I have been meaning to start this mod but one thing that keeps bugging me is the idea that I may be pulling too much power from a power source that isn't designed to put out a whole lot of power. I'm concerned that I may end up melting some component in the electrical system by hooking it up directly to the parking light wire.

This is the only thought that is holding me back...
You have a valid concern. The power draw for the fogs is much more than for the parking lights....
Old 12-17-11, 12:00 PM
scdroptop

Received 47 Likes on 22 Posts

Great thinking here guys...I'd love to do it too...please post some pics and a DIY tutorial if you've got it! Nice work
Old 12-17-11, 07:01 PM
texsexlex
Racer

...well I've been extremely lazy and tied up with some house issues (never seems to end,the laziness either...lol),but I've been running them the same way for almost a year now and no problems/issues...Mandy I'm going to get around to that switch sooner or later...lol

Last edited by texsexlex; 12-17-11 at 07:02 PM. Reason: misspell
Old 03-10-12, 06:20 PM
jasone36
Instructor

Hello friends,

I went to my independent mechanic to get this modification done using Texsexlex's method (described above), and my mechanic talked me out of it. He does not specialize in Lexus specifically, but he thinks that pulling too much power from the front sidemarker could cause electrical issues, especially if the power cable going to the sidemarker isn't rated for load exceding what the sidemarker demands.

According to page 331 of the manual, it says that that front sidemarker light is a 5 watt bulb (type 168). It also says that the foglight is a 55 watt bulb (type H3).

My next idea is to disconnect the front sidemarkers entirely, and instead feed that power directly to the foglight bulb. This would be like Texsexlex's method above, but because we are disconnecting the sidemarker lights I figure there would be less load.

I would appreciate any thoughts on this. Thank you.
Old 03-11-12, 12:03 AM
gripau1
Intermediate

Received 40 Likes on 21 Posts

Aussie version is the same as the Japanese version. That is you can turn on the fog lamps without switching on the headlights.
Old 03-12-12, 03:54 PM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by jasone36
Hello friends,

I went to my independent mechanic to get this modification done using Texsexlex's method (described above), and my mechanic talked me out of it. He does not specialize in Lexus specifically, but he thinks that pulling too much power from the front sidemarker could cause electrical issues, especially if the power cable going to the sidemarker isn't rated for load exceding what the sidemarker demands.

According to page 331 of the manual, it says that that front sidemarker light is a 5 watt bulb (type 168). It also says that the foglight is a 55 watt bulb (type H3).

My next idea is to disconnect the front sidemarkers entirely, and instead feed that power directly to the foglight bulb. This would be like Texsexlex's method above, but because we are disconnecting the sidemarker lights I figure there would be less load.

I would appreciate any thoughts on this. Thank you.
jasone,

Better find a better source for your fogs.

In my TL and in my son's Maxima, I had to go to the main switched power supply in the ignition. This was easily done because somebody had done the research and a full DIY was given.

Our case:

I think it can easily be done with relays.

Get the switch signal from the park lights. Use this to trigger a relay (double throw).

Get the power supply from a known switched circuit (ignition on).

Then wire up a switch to the cabin to turn on or off.

Easier said than done. But the concept is there.

Somebody wire them up and we can test it.
Old 03-14-12, 11:31 AM
TxPhantom
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is the benefit of this?
Old 03-14-12, 04:36 PM
i2fat
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TxPhantom
What is the benefit of this?
You look cool.
Old 03-14-12, 04:41 PM
bb430
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Funning how we don't want the daytime running light on( I have it off) but we want to have the fog light on to be cool.
Old 04-04-12, 06:06 AM
jasone36
Instructor

I recently discussed this item with VVtiBob, he provided the following thought:

"The way to do it is to add a jumper in the wiring harness at the switch which adds the fogs when you turn on the lights. No splicing wires just one little jumper that energizes the fog light circuit. But the downside is when you rotate the light switch to the clearence or parking light position on the stalk, the fogs come on."

I personally think this is an excellent idea... certainly 'out-of-the-box', as I wasn't considering the wiring harness at the switch at all previously. In theory, this would indeed potentially simplify this modification because there would be no need to cut wires under the hood and quarter panel and/or be concerned about load.

By any chance, would anyone happen to know where the wiring harness is situated (I'm guessing under the dash somwhere), or would anyone happen to have a rough schematic of the wiring harness? This could facilitate in figuring out where to place the jumper.

Thank you
Old 05-07-13, 04:19 PM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

Bringing this from the archives...and I believe we are close to making this happen without any hard wiring, etc.

I did a mod to my Miata and I simply disconnected the fog relay signal and instead used the relay on the AC (as it was the most convenient in the layout). When the power is on, the AC relay is energized and therefore power is available. When you turn the fog light switch, it is powered and is on. Turn off, it is off, regardless of headlamps (or wherever the fogs are looking for a signal).

What do you think?
Old 05-07-13, 11:24 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Originally Posted by mandyfig
Bringing this from the archives...and I believe we are close to making this happen without any hard wiring, etc.

I did a mod to my Miata and I simply disconnected the fog relay signal and instead used the relay on the AC (as it was the most convenient in the layout). When the power is on, the AC relay is energized and therefore power is available. When you turn the fog light switch, it is powered and is on. Turn off, it is off, regardless of headlamps (or wherever the fogs are looking for a signal).

What do you think?
...sounds good to me, but mine are still working with no issues & it's been a couple of years now. I'm actually about to change the foglight bulbs this weekend & put in led bulbs to match the DRL's & parklights. The procedure that you described above, I used on my wifes 09' Malibu. She has a LS model & they aren't equipped with foglights. So I bought the bezel/fogs from a LTZ , changed out the bumper fascia inserts.......now she has lights

Quick Reply: Foglights On While Headlights Off?