SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

The cost of moving up!

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-11, 09:27 PM
Solman
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default The cost of moving up!

I've had my 02 Sc since June 08. It is white with ECRU. It is in great shape and I've added luxlink with rear quarter mod, nav tool with vais tech to get the back-up camera and ipod/dvd player, and got rid of the runflats immediately, which completes it for me. It had 23k miles when I bought it for $26k and now just turned 34k miles. At the time I bought a 3rd party warranty with zero deductable thats good until 2015 and it only cost me $1200. I have had excellant service with the warranty. My dealer always gives me a new rx for a loaner and handles all the warranty work without complaints. The warranty company has hit the $4k mark including replacing the ML system and most speakers along with some small engine problems.

So much for the background... Now for moving up. I either want an 07 PB or the 2010 SC. I am in no hurry and have a target date of now until 2015. So I have now found a 07 PB with only 13k miles on it for 45k asking price. My first problem is that it still has the runflats and I forgot how horrible they make it ride. It is so bad that it is difficult to judge the ride. It also had curb rash on one wheel and a crack on the heater/ac control panel and the engine compartment was dusty, unlike my 02 that you could eat off it. The salesman said the wheel would be repaired and AC panel would be replaced under the cpo warranty.

In comparing the two, the PB would need all the upgrades I've already done to my 02-aside from that the two are basically the same car, even tho I know of the upgrades done in 06. I've also upgraded the tails on my 02. The only upgrade I really miss is bluetooth.

Now the money! I never got that far because of my disappointment with the 02 vs the 07. I checked the pp/dealer retail on both cars and with the milage considered the 07 is worth $39K/44K while my 02 is worth $24k/21K according to KBB. That means that if the dealer gave me retail for my 02 and I got the PB for wholesale (pp), I would still pay $15k???? difference. The PB would have a 3 yr cpo warranty and my 02 would still be warranteed a year longer. As I drove the PB, thats all I could think about-$15k for what????

At this rate will I ever move up? I think the good news is that their are a lot of SC garage queens out there, so it is not that difficult to find a low milage SC. I am not nearly as impressed with the PB as I was yesterday! BTW, another disappointment was the black wood trim in the 07 looked like it was dusty, but that is just how the grain of the wood looks. I think that the 05 PB is the best year because of the number of upgrades-headlights, aircleaner/trunk strap, etc. What is the PB actually worth in dollar amount-how much more are you willing to pay for the cosmetic changes included in the PB? Will revisit this again in a year or two.
Sorry for the long post!

John
Old 08-15-11, 09:52 PM
Jhanf
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought an 04 SC430 and love this car. Like you I hate the run flats. The dealership I bought it from has TRD rims on it and I actually like them but need an opinion on changing the tires. Should I run them out or just change them all at once? Also, is it true I can add back up sensors and an IPod component? I have Nav...thanks for any advice.
Old 08-15-11, 11:39 PM
ALBINO
Rookie

Originally Posted by Solman
I've had my 02 Sc since June 08. At the time I bought a 3rd party warranty with zero deductable thats good until 2015 and it only cost me $1200. I have had excellant service with the warranty. My dealer handles all the warranty work without complaints. The warranty company has hit the $4k mark
John,
Who did you get the third party warranty from? Is there a cap on the amount from the warranty company?
Also, how long did it take Steve to install the LuxLink? Was there an additional charge for the install? i am trying to figure out what is a fair price to have a LuxLink installed in Orlando? Would you PM me on this?
Thanks,
Mark
Old 08-16-11, 06:14 AM
Solman
Lead Lap

The following thread contains a post from me where I got my warranty. You can also search for warranties to get further info on them. I have never seen a better deal for any warranty that has a zero deductable and has a 7 year term.
Now that I've had (& used) the warranty, I couldn't be happier with it. Funny to have any car that has a full zero deductable warranty until the car is 13 years old!

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...-sc-430-a.html
Old 08-16-11, 06:45 AM
MDames2
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think you're making an erroneous assumption that the dealer would give you retail for your car and charge you wholesale for theirs. The most likely difference in cost would be $18 - 20K, not $15K. Personally, I don't think it's worth it. There are some differences, but not worth anywhere near that kind of money. Also, once you get the new car, after a while you'll get accustomed to the new features. They'll become common. They'll lose their "luster". But you'll be out $20K. I say stay with what you have.
Old 08-16-11, 05:35 PM
jzwu
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^^^ this!

My 02 sc430 costs me $18k with only 48k miles when I got it in Mar. A 06 with 50k miles would cost $28k, a $10k difference. Not worth it.
Old 08-16-11, 05:51 PM
robertrios
Pole Position

If your gonna pay that much I would wait for a 2010 which I think will hold up in value being the last production year and the superior navigation upgrade. The 2006 model I think gives a good compromise between the 02 and the 2010. Personally I dont think "trading up" is worth it when the models to most look identical. But its self preference, i guess to answer your question yes thats the price to trade up...its crazy!
Old 08-16-11, 08:14 PM
Solman
Lead Lap

My point when I said IF the dealer gave me retail for my 02 and wholesale for their 07, i would still be out of pocket $15K. I know that NO dealer would make a deal like that but if they did it would still cost me $15K-NOT WORTH THE DIFFERENCE!!

I agree with you Robert that the best deal for an upgrade would be for a 2010, when the cost difference is much less than what it is now, Fortunately, I'm very content with what I have now and its still under warranty until 2015. Not a bad position to be in. I sure didn't see much difference between the two SC's.

John
Old 08-17-11, 06:28 AM
talison24
Rookie

$45 is insane, so is KBB. Check out Edmunds for actual averages $ of cars sold.
Old 08-17-11, 07:02 AM
redliner8
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Why do you want the Pebble Beach edition? The red interior, rarity, and painted headlights (assuming its a black PB)? It's definitely not worth +$15k extra since you can get a much better customized interior for your 02 for less money and buy custom painted headlights for less...I'm sure you've seen IceNPinki's custom interior, I'd take that over PB red any day.

Stick with your 02. Personally, I would only spend $1-3k more for a PB. Yes, they're cool and rare, but the 'extras' aren't worth much more to me, just my opinion. I put little value on the rarity because the only major differences are cosmetic: the interior color, headlights, and engine cover. It's not like your comparing a standard corvette to a ZR1.

Last edited by redliner8; 08-17-11 at 07:28 AM.
Old 08-17-11, 08:25 AM
JerryB
Pole Position

Originally Posted by redliner8
Why do you want the Pebble Beach edition? The red interior, rarity, and painted headlights (assuming its a black PB)? It's definitely not worth +$15k extra since you can get a much better customized interior for your 02 for less money and buy custom painted headlights for less...I'm sure you've seen IceNPinki's custom interior, I'd take that over PB red any day.

Stick with your 02. Personally, I would only spend $1-3k more for a PB. Yes, they're cool and rare, but the 'extras' aren't worth much more to me, just my opinion. I put little value on the rarity because the only major differences are cosmetic: the interior color, headlights, and engine cover. It's not like your comparing a standard corvette to a ZR1.
Hi redliner,

My thoughts exactly; all of these 'specials' (NM, PB ) are just cosmetic, little else.

At one time Ford was selling a 'California Edition' of a Mustang in this area; I always wondered if they sold a 'NorthWest Edition' in California.

Jerry Baumchen
Old 08-17-11, 09:09 AM
ALBINO
Rookie

Originally Posted by JerryB
Hi redliner,

My thoughts exactly; all of these 'specials' (NM, PB ) are just cosmetic, little else.

At one time Ford was selling a 'California Edition' of a Mustang in this area; I always wondered if they sold a 'NorthWest Edition' in California.

Jerry Baumchen
Jerry,

They had a SouthEast Edition Mustang for Florida years ago. It came with more chrome to polish....

I bought my 2006 PB because I wanted the low mileage (11K), the Tigereye/camel color combo, 6 speed, Bluetooth and tail lights. I didn't care about the floor mats, badges or luggage...(but it's nice to have:-) I am lucky that I didn't have to pay 10-15K to upgrade from my 04 WGC/black with 37K on it. My dad told me many years ago "never buy a used car from a dealer because they will sell you an over priced car". I was very fortunate that I bought both of my SC's from people that were in their late 60's early 70's.
Old 08-17-11, 10:22 AM
Yes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

If you're looking to upgrade, personally I'd do a full body kit and update the headlights and taillights if you like. You'll end up with a more unique and better looking SC than the Pebble Beach. And it'll look newer too since most body kits have a more modern design.
Old 08-17-11, 11:49 AM
JerryB
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ALBINO
Jerry,

They had a SouthEast Edition Mustang for Florida years ago. It came with more chrome to polish....

I bought my 2006 PB because I wanted the low mileage (11K), the Tigereye/camel color combo, 6 speed, Bluetooth and tail lights. I didn't care about the floor mats, badges or luggage...(but it's nice to have:-) I am lucky that I didn't have to pay 10-15K to upgrade from my 04 WGC/black with 37K on it. My dad told me many years ago "never buy a used car from a dealer because they will sell you an over priced car". I was very fortunate that I bought both of my SC's from people that were in their late 60's early 70's.
Hi Albino,

Re: They had a SouthEast Edition Mustang for Florida years ago.

You make my case.

Jerry Baumchen

PS) And if someone wants to upgrade due to wanting a different color, interior, etc; good for them. I wish that I had a Camel interior but I don't. C'est la vie.
Old 08-17-11, 12:20 PM
ALBINO
Rookie

Originally Posted by JerryB
Hi Albino,

Re: They had a SouthEast Edition Mustang for Florida years ago.

You make my case.

Jerry Baumchen

PS) And if someone wants to upgrade due to wanting a different color, interior, etc; good for them. I wish that I had a Camel interior but I don't. C'est la vie.
Jerry,
The decision to upgrade was based on the year, the low miles, the 6 speed with the sport shift, then the color combo. The very low price that I paid to upgrade had a lot to do with it too........

Quick Reply: The cost of moving up!