SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Rattle on the passenger side.

Old 09-19-02, 03:12 AM
fulmitz
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rattle on the passenger side.

Has anyone else noticed this. Only seems to happen when the top is up. I also noticed that the passengers side isn't as tight as the drivers side as mentioned in the FAQ. Could this be the rattle? I've got 460 miles to go til my 1000 mile check up.

Fulmitz
Old 09-19-02, 08:34 AM
1NICESC430
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

fulmitz ...

I rarely drive with the top up, but when I do, I also notice a rattle on the passenger side. Let us know what the dealer says about it at your 1K service.

I may be getting my car serviced before you do yours, so I'll do the same.
Old 09-19-02, 10:36 AM
stevelaw
Driver

Default passenger side rattle

I have had mine into service twice to attempt to locate the rattle. I feel that it is somewhere in the seat, as I can stop the rattle by reaching over and flipping the seat forward while moving. My rattle also does not happen when there is a passenger in the passenger seat. Last time I had it serviced, the rattle stopped for a couple of days, but eventually came back. Until I get it back into the shop, I find that moving the passenger side seat as far back as possible, until it touches the rear seat lip, helps dampen the rattle.
Old 09-19-02, 12:47 PM
compgal
Driver School Candidate

I have also had a rattle on the passengers side. It seems to be a problem with the seatbelt. When I latch the seat belt or a passenger is seating in the seat, I do not hear the rattle.

This rattle happens whrther the top is up or down.

Next time I bring in the car, maybe they can find out what the problem is. I am not going to hold my breath.

Last edited by compgal; 09-19-02 at 12:51 PM.
Old 09-19-02, 02:38 PM
RodF
Pole Position

I brought this up before, but just to throw this in. I also had a rattle on the passenger side when the top was off. Turns out it was just the passenger visor. When I flipped it down, then back up, the rattle went away.
Old 09-19-02, 05:27 PM
moseman2020
Driver School Candidate

had the same rattle problem and isolated it to the seat also. rattle went away when I released the seat forward...very annoying. haven't tried looking at the seat belt. will let you know the results.
Old 09-19-02, 07:13 PM
fulmitz
Driver

Having read all threads extensively prior to placing my post, I noticed the rattle with a passenger and without, with the sealbelt hooked to the seat and without, with the visor up and with the visor down, with the seat forward, and with it all the way back, in a house, with a mouse, I do not like green eggs and ham, I do not....... OPPS, sorry got carried away

Anyway, I have mainly noticed it is there, or can't be heard with the top down, only with the top up. More prominent when going over seams in the road. and it sounds more like the top rear passengers pillar than anything. Even people in the passengers seat can hear whether driving around town or on the highway. Seeing as there was also a problem with the top not connecting well on the passengers side I thought they may go hand in hand. I'll check it out. Thanks for the suggestions, but I've tried them to no avail. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Fulmitz
Old 09-19-02, 09:32 PM
Carnaught
Driver School Candidate

Default Hey, I had......

....the passenger seat rattle. Actually, mine was a vibration, worse on rough roads, but otherwise, occured at will. I had it in, they removed passenger seat and re-routed the wiring harness and no vibration since. Hope this helps, that is if it's the same problem I had.
Old 09-19-02, 10:05 PM
fulmitz
Driver

Did this occur even when someone was sitting in the seat?

Fulmitz
Old 09-20-02, 12:34 AM
TXSC430
Driver School Candidate

When my car was new I noticed the same rattle also, after a couple of trips to the dealer I found a service tech who had seen it before. His fix was very simple, used some leather lotion in the crack between the seat back and the seat bottom, I couldn't believe it but it worked like a charm. Can't say everyone's problem is the same, I could have swore it was a door rattle from sitting in the drivers seat, even had someone else drive while I rode in passengers seat - but with someone in the seat you won't hear anything. Hope this is of help to some.
Old 09-20-02, 11:14 AM
compgal
Driver School Candidate

When I got in the car this morning, I noticed that the selt belt had not been pulled back to the top of the retensioning unit. I physically moved it up to the top. The noise went away. It appears that it was down far enough to hit against the side panel.

Maybe the seat belt retensioning unit has to be replaced.

I'm not sure this is everyone's problem, but it is something to check out.
Old 09-20-02, 07:53 PM
VASCER
Driver School Candidate

Having gone through the passenger seat rattle when I first got my SC let me offer a couple of suggestions. First, as someone mentioned earlier make sure the wiring harnesses below the seat are well secured or glue a felt strip where they may come in contact with the seat base. More importantly, make sure the lumbar support on the passenger seat is pretty far forward. In its most relaxed position the seat will rattle like crazy when there is no passenger with you but will magically disappear when you do have a passenger.
Old 09-24-02, 11:21 PM
fulmitz
Driver

Since I only hear it with the top up and having a passenger doesn't make a difference, I'm still leaning towards the top itself as the rattle otherwise it would be there with the top down as well. Due to Tropical Storm/Hurricane Isidore I probably won't be able to get the car in for another 2 weeks or so. When I do I'll post any fix they can find.

Fulmitz