SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Please share your thoughts on this Body Kit

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-11, 01:40 PM
irokdastar
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I want to know why these body kits cost so much. I get it costing a grand or 2 but 5k? The original bumpers side skirt rear bumper and fenders dont even cost that much. and none of these high dollar kits have the same quality as oem.I dont think a pair of fenders should cost 1200 because someone cut a hole in them. just my own 2
Old 07-25-11, 01:47 PM
Yes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by irokdastar
I want to know why these body kits cost so much. I get it costing a grand or 2 but 5k? The original bumpers side skirt rear bumper and fenders dont even cost that much. and none of these high dollar kits have the same quality as oem.I dont think a pair of fenders should cost 1200 because someone cut a hole in them. just my own 2
because they're produced in extremely low quantities. it's economies of scale working in reverse.
Old 07-25-11, 04:06 PM
Rykster
Pole Position

It looks good, but do you know for sure how well it fits?
Old 07-25-11, 05:21 PM
KaiserSea1
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a kit builder near me who makes complete kit cars for less than the artisan kit. Once the mold is made cost per unit is not very high. The price is not fair, I would not waste the money.
Old 07-25-11, 06:23 PM
aquanuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by T8LEX
Has anyone know or know of someone who had gotten an immitation kit and had alot of issues??
I bought a widebody kit for a 300zx off ebay that was sold as a brand name kit. When I got it I found it was a replica. I paid about 45% of the price.

I had to cut every panel and lots of jiggling to fit. The fibreglass was really thin and during filling/sanding was a few areas I went through the fibreglass.

As the kit was so thin all the flat areas had ripples so had to smooth filler across everything then use upol resurface sprayable filler followed up with lots of high build primer.

As I was doing it myself time was not an issue but paying someone to do all that would have been more cost effective to get the brand kit it was copied from. All the extra materials added up and I shagged an expensive spray gun using the sprayable filler.. my fault, doh!

End of the day I got it looking pretty good, but the car is basically filler on wheels now
Old 07-25-11, 11:51 PM
talwang

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by irokdastar
You miss the point completely since you are paying for Artisan's design, not just some fiberglass.

Many people can cut a hole on their fenders, but only a few can sell them for $1200.

On the other hand, I think those replicas are very expensive.
They have no design cost incurred, so you really only pay for the fiberglass.

For the record, I still don't know where OP's kit in UK was originally designed and made, so I don't want to comment. lol

Originally Posted by KaiserSea1
I have a kit builder near me who makes complete kit cars for less than the artisan kit. Once the mold is made cost per unit is not very high. The price is not fair, I would not waste the money.
we need to see if he can make a completely different kit for the sc430 and still looks as stunning as the artisan kit.

By making the exact same artisan kit from scratch is still missing the big design part which costs the most.

Last edited by talwang; 07-26-11 at 11:20 AM.
Old 07-28-11, 12:31 PM
tsachiti
Driver

Hi all once again, as I am a new sc owner, i have been playing catch up on everything on Club Lexus, there are some truly awesome posts here.

Here is what I have decided. Currently my SC430 is stock, I will buy the body kit in question, (next month payday) Then I i will post before during and after pics in a new thread as well as detail any issues etc. I am sure that would make interesting reading for all that are curious..

I would like to take this opportunity to thank all those who contributed to this thread !!
Old 07-29-11, 12:10 AM
aquanuke
Lexus Test Driver

Kewl good luck would love to see it in the flesh where abouts in London are you? Im in Sutton, South London.
Old 07-29-11, 12:34 AM
Justin2JZ
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Not my cup of tea.
Old 07-29-11, 01:24 AM
tsachiti
Driver

Originally Posted by aquanuke
Kewl good luck would love to see it in the flesh where abouts in London are you? Im in Sutton, South London.
Omg.. How very random!

I live like 5mins away from you ! I know Sutton very well having lived there for like 13 years, currently live in Banstead ! Once the kit arrives, you will be first to know, look forward to getting tips on how to keep my SC as immaculate as yours.
Old 07-29-11, 02:38 AM
aquanuke
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by tsachiti
Omg.. How very random!

I live like 5mins away from you ! I know Sutton very well having lived there for like 13 years, currently live in Banstead ! Once the kit arrives, you will be first to know, look forward to getting tips on how to keep my SC as immaculate as yours.
Wow how funny you live just around the corner. Top tip for keeping the SC immaculate is dont use it

Been meaning to check in my garage to see if she's still there, not used her very a long time now. What colour is yours? Will have to meet up and compare cars
Old 08-04-11, 12:02 PM
KaseZome
Driver School Candidate

Looks good. Front center air dam looks like my M3 though...
Old 08-18-12, 02:57 PM
alz3abi
Driver School Candidate

did you made it ?

im thinking to buy it for my sc 2006'
Old 08-18-12, 03:10 PM
Yes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by alz3abi
did you made it ?

im thinking to buy it for my sc 2006'
He had a lot of issues and spent a lot of money to make it work. I'd keep looking if I were you.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...-detailed.html
Old 08-19-12, 12:23 PM
taisho
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Personally, I don't like the kit...too much going on, but that's just me. I like the clean/sleeper look. Best of luck with the kit!

Quick Reply: Please share your thoughts on this Body Kit