SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

hazy paint protection film

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-11, 09:13 AM
deathstar
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hazy paint protection film

new to forum, just picked up a Red 05 SC. The paint is awesome, however the paint protection film on the front bumper and part of the hood is very hazy and doesn't shine. I have tried a few things on it and it won't clear up. Is there any way to make it shine or should I just pull it off?

Also, this is a great forum, and I have found lots of info. on this car. I hope to add to it.
Old 07-21-11, 12:19 PM
Habious

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Welcome...from a fellow Virginian!

As for the answer to your question...I got nuthin'.
Old 07-21-11, 12:36 PM
talwang

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Just pull it off or have it redone because the warranty only applies to the original owner with an original receipt.

The shop I went to gave me a life time warranty as long as I still own the car.
I had my clear bra (installed in 2004) replaced last year for free.
Old 07-21-11, 01:32 PM
Poqman
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

you may want to expand your question to the automotive care and detailing forum for help also. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/aut...detailing-122/
Old 07-21-11, 01:47 PM
jnaval
Driver School Candidate

Take care when you pull it off, some people have taken clear coat and paint with it. What have you tried on it though? Some plastic/vinyl polishes work well, some have used headlight restorer though not ideal.
Old 07-21-11, 04:05 PM
talwang

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Restore the clear bra? good luck on that.

Plenty of videos on youtube teach you how to remove it correctly.
I have clear bra on my sc (front half), gs (front half) and rx (whole car).
Old 07-21-11, 05:35 PM
deathstar
Driver

Thanks Habious! Looking forward to taking this baby on the Blue Ridge Parkway in the Fall.

yeah, talwang, leaning towards taking it off now with your comments, thanks, i will check you tube.

btw, getting 30% tint saturday so look for a pic of a tinted Red SC with chrome wheels in the tint thread.
Old 07-21-11, 06:02 PM
OBP
Advanced

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

Recently had the bumper portion of my clear bra taken off by a professional to install a new piece. Was warned that it would take off some paint and clear coat cos the bumper had been painted once before by the dealer's bodyshop. True enough. Had to repaint the bumper. That was a costly new piece of clear bra I put on the bumper.

But I've replaced the fender clear bra strips a number of times and I never had a problem. Maybe the paint just sticks better to metal ?
Old 08-01-11, 06:36 AM
clearbraj
Driver School Candidate

Pulling base paint or the clear paint is due to poor paint prep. This occurs when the paint is not firmly attached to the base material. This can occur on new vehicles when they are repainted at the port of entry-distribution hub or at the dealer and used repainted vehicles. We always recommend using a professional body shop and letting them know you plan to install Paint Protection Film and the repainted parts to be removed from the vehicle, have them fully keyed and primed in accordance to OEM requirements. Quick sand and resprays will most likely lead to paint pull even if you follow the proper PPF removal techniques. Paint Peel is NOT the fault of Paint Protection Film.
Old 08-01-11, 12:26 PM
PTmobile
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by clearbraj
Pulling base paint or the clear paint is due to poor paint prep. This occurs when the paint is not firmly attached to the base material. This can occur on new vehicles when they are repainted at the port of entry-distribution hub or at the dealer and used repainted vehicles. We always recommend using a professional body shop and letting them know you plan to install Paint Protection Film and the repainted parts to be removed from the vehicle, have them fully keyed and primed in accordance to OEM requirements. Quick sand and resprays will most likely lead to paint pull even if you follow the proper PPF removal techniques. Paint Peel is NOT the fault of Paint Protection Film.
Agreed. As long as the installer didnt apply the film to fresh paint. Once it is cured it should be fine.