SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Slooooow seatbelt retraction

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-11, 06:18 PM
fubie
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Slooooow seatbelt retraction

It's so slow, I've almost closed the door on the clasp. It does eventually retract, and nothing is binding it or anything. Has anyone else had this? The same thing happened on a Saab I had once and Saab replaced the retractor - apparently the guvment considers this a safety issue and there's no limit on the warranty. Also, my buckle hangs backwards it seems to me. The buckle faces the seat. Is this standard? Thanks for your help for this newbie.
The following users liked this post:
Nusbaum (01-01-22)
Old 07-17-11, 07:13 PM
JerryB
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fubie
It's so slow, I've almost closed the door on the clasp. It does eventually retract, and nothing is binding it or anything. Has anyone else had this? The same thing happened on a Saab I had once and Saab replaced the retractor - apparently the guvment considers this a safety issue and there's no limit on the warranty. Also, my buckle hangs backwards it seems to me. The buckle faces the seat. Is this standard? Thanks for your help for this newbie.
Hi fubie,

Every Toyota I've owned has had this problem. I once mentioned it to the bodyshop that I use and they say that it is a design problem with all Toyota seatbelts.

Yes, these are Toyota seatbelts.

Jerry Baumchen
Old 07-17-11, 07:38 PM
fubie
Rookie

Hmmm, makes sense, but if the retractor doesn't make it snug against your shoulder immediately I think it's a warranty fix no matter the mileage/age.
Old 07-18-11, 08:01 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryB
Hi fubie,

Every Toyota I've owned has had this problem. I once mentioned it to the bodyshop that I use and they say that it is a design problem with all Toyota seatbelts.

Yes, these are Toyota seatbelts.

Jerry Baumchen
Hi Jerry,

My company happens to supply plastic components for the seat belt retainer to QSS in Canada (a Japanese company) who supplies them to Toyota. I have assemblies as samples. The metal springs will hardly fail or lose its "springiness." However due to the heat, the plastic housing can bulge-distort and therefore will pinch the springs, not allowing them to retract as designed.

These assemblies can be replaced.

I replaced a bum seat belt on my son's Maxima, bought a whole set from fleabay. I wonder if we can find used SC430 seat belt assemblies on fleabay.
Old 07-18-11, 10:32 AM
JerryB
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mandyfig
Hi Jerry,

My company happens to supply plastic components for the seat belt retainer to QSS in Canada (a Japanese company) who supplies them to Toyota. I have assemblies as samples. The metal springs will hardly fail or lose its "springiness." However due to the heat, the plastic housing can bulge-distort and therefore will pinch the springs, not allowing them to retract as designed.

These assemblies can be replaced.

I replaced a bum seat belt on my son's Maxima, bought a whole set from fleabay. I wonder if we can find used SC430 seat belt assemblies on fleabay.
Hi Mandy,

Now that is interesting. As a Mech. Engr. and someone who has done his share of failure analysis, that is nice to know.

As far as 'de Bay', well good luck ( and I mean it ).

And do you have any thoughts on how hard it was to replace the unit on the Nissan?

Jerry Baumchen

PS) So you're the guy we get to blame for this problem.
Old 07-18-11, 01:30 PM
mandyfig

Originally Posted by JerryB
Hi Mandy,

Now that is interesting. As a Mech. Engr. and someone who has done his share of failure analysis, that is nice to know.

As far as 'de Bay', well good luck ( and I mean it ).

And do you have any thoughts on how hard it was to replace the unit on the Nissan?

Jerry Baumchen

PS) So you're the guy we get to blame for this problem.
Hi Jerry,

Can not blame us, we are not part design responsible. However I just completed an Engineering change to thicken the wall on a plastic part I supply to them. Turns out the plastic has buckled-deformed due to high temperature and as a result failed. So we added 0.2 mm and was forced to monitor as a critical dimension.

On the Nissan Maxima, I ended up taking the seats out and the rear deck, afterwhich it was remove and replace via a couple of bolts. The hardest thing was getting into and out of the trunk. Old guy like me do not have the flexibility once had.

On our SC's the back side panels have to come off and I think the rear seat will have to likewise.
Old 09-19-13, 01:58 PM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

It's so slow, I've almost closed the door on the clasp. It does eventually retract, and nothing is binding it or anything. Has anyone else had this?
I've had the dealer fix this twice. I should have asked what they did, but since they did it for free, they weren't specific on the invoice. After a couple of years or so, it just looses its retraction power and speed.

Now that I'm out of warranty, looks like I'll be doing this myself. Any thoughts on the fix?
Old 09-19-13, 05:14 PM
fubie
Rookie

Someone can correct me, but I though seatbelts never went out of warranty.
Old 09-20-13, 11:14 AM
tofu
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Someone can correct me, but I though seatbelts never went out of warranty.
You might be right! I would call Lexus to see what they say.
Old 03-04-14, 01:48 PM
MailManX
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seatbelts Always Under Warranty?

Originally Posted by tofu
You might be right! I would call Lexus to see what they say.
I'm reviviing this 5-month old thread because I want to know what the dealer's answer was. My 2001 GS300 with 216,000 miles is obviously way out of warrant. I love the car, but my seatbelt basically doesn't retract at all any more. That bugs the heck outta me, plus worries me when I can't pull it tight when putting it on.
Old 03-04-14, 08:07 PM
76210Guy
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MailManX
I'm reviviing this 5-month old thread because I want to know what the dealer's answer was. My 2001 GS300 with 216,000 miles is obviously way out of warrant. I love the car, but my seatbelt basically doesn't retract at all any more. That bugs the heck outta me, plus worries me when I can't pull it tight when putting it on.
FYI, I do have an extended warranty on my SC430, and I had the same problem. I had it fixed at Park Place Lexus and it was covered. They basically replaced not only the mechanism, but the belt was new also. I looked at the invoice and it said that the part was $237. Thought I would share just for comparison sake.
Old 03-05-14, 02:06 PM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyCake
I've had the dealer fix this twice. I should have asked what they did, but since they did it for free, they weren't specific on the invoice. After a couple of years or so, it just looses its retraction power and speed.

Now that I'm out of warranty, looks like I'll be doing this myself. Any thoughts on the fix?
My dealer said that after awhile the belt gets dirty and all they do is clean it with soap and water and let it dry. A clean belt is a slippery smooth fast belt. Worth a try, I guess.
Old 07-12-14, 08:57 PM
donaldp
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

My two front belts on my 2007 barely retract now. If I pull the belt out farther than needed as if I leaned far forward, it will not retract back at all UNLESS i unbuckle it, then it goes back immediately at rapid speed. What is up with this? It does not seem like it's a plastic part that is out of kilter.
Old 07-13-14, 05:50 AM
mandyfig

I had the same problem on my Miata. I followed a DIY and it helped a lot. Pull out the belt, clip it and submerge on warm water with Woolite and let stand for at least an hour. Then let dry. It will clean it and it will help with the retraction. Also I have been successful with applying AS303 on the belt.

Good luck.
The following 2 users liked this post by mandyfig:
Bgw70 (01-30-20), FOR30 (02-23-23)
Old 01-29-20, 04:03 PM
Lomaha
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We took my 2007 in for the issue which I bought last year with the Platinum extended warranty. It was not covered. Definitely a safety issue to me. Besides the belt hangs out of the car sometimes. I have a nick in the door because of that!

Quick Reply: Slooooow seatbelt retraction