SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

SUV-SC transition (subjective question)

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-11, 01:46 PM
642max
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SUV-SC transition (subjective question)

Having been a long time SUV driver, last year I picked up a '96 lx450 from my in-laws. I rolled 40kmi on the drive home... love it. Now the option to pick up an '02 sc430 has come up from said in-laws, at an offer not to be refused; well kept, probably has never been more than 20 miles from the dealership since it got off the truck.

My question, for those of you that may have made the SUV to SC transition, is what am I going to notice the most with this as my daily driver? Will the SS430 seem like a sports car in comparison to a V8 grand cherokee or will I be constantly trying to snag the Lx450 from my wife?

purely subjective question.

just curious,

Wc
(first post)
Old 07-13-11, 02:10 PM
lugnuts
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Wow.., what a position to be in.. Two Lexus' in the house!!!! Grab that bad boy and don't look back, you'll love it, and by the way, so will your sweetie.
Old 07-13-11, 02:12 PM
Poqman
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

First, let me welcome you to CL! Should you get the SC, this site has the most information about your car you can find short of a repair manual.
My question, for those of you that may have made the SUV to SC transition, is what am I going to notice the most with this as my daily driver? Will the SC430 seem like a sports car in comparison to a V8 grand cherokee
I went from a 2007 Highlander Hybrid to a 2002 SC430. First, you'll notice the cargo bay is gone lol. The feeling you'll get from driving a SC will offset anything else you may miss about a SUV. If you can live with two seats, then go for it. I never wished I hadn't made the swap.
Old 07-13-11, 02:24 PM
642max
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Poqman,
good to know the transition should be favorable. I don't know that I will do much to it, but I have been searching the forum for solutions to carrying a bicycle.

I did come across these two options; one here and then a similar version here. I am pretty certain I would opt for the fork mount with the front wheel in the trunk...

At 6'5" I am pretty certain the frame alone will not fit anywhere in the car. I just need to carry one track or road bike (sub 16lbs). Has anyone else tried this lately or have any long term use reports?

Wc
Old 07-13-11, 05:09 PM
Lexiss_sc430
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I pretty much own both of those cars, my daily driver is a 1996 Landcruiser, and I have my SC. Its a night and day difference, the cruiser is slow, handling sucks, weighs a ton, and gets bad gas mileage, plus no one really pays any attention to you in it. But the Sc is a whole different experience when compared. Its much faster, handles like a dream, gets better gas mileage than the cruiser and is pretty easy on the eyes, I typically get a complement or two every time I take her out.

With that being said I still love both cars and would never give up my Cruiser

Last edited by Lexiss_sc430; 07-13-11 at 05:12 PM.
Old 07-13-11, 05:54 PM
Solman
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

When I bought my SC, I kept my 05 Odyssey for hauling people and cargo. That worked out very well for me and saves the SC when I need to carry stuff that can damage the interior. Also, my wifes EX (infiniti) has a small cargo area, but often gets used versus the SC. That said, my SC is a daily driver, though my round trip is only 5 miles. I love driving it and ONLY drives the other two when I got to carry cargo or more people than just the two of us. The perfect setup if you can swing it. I wouldnt think of selling the van given the fact that I bought it new loaded including nav/dvd entertainment and now its worth a fraction of that cost. Its the perfect solution for me and my situation.
Old 07-13-11, 07:05 PM
robertrios
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

our sc430 replaced our RX300 which is a smaller less awesome suv than the LX, however the only thing I miss is the room. You wont have that issue since you will have both. I on the other hand have an IS250 as the other car and while it has more room than the 2 seater SC (the back seat dosent count on the SC...sorry) the SC has it beat on speed (not handling).

I think youll be fine with the combination of both cars it seems like a good combination of options for a household...more balanced then perhaps mine. Eventually we want to buy another used LX or RX and garage queen the SC. Good luck and you wont regret it!