SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Retractable Top Issue Resolutions...

Old 07-20-11, 01:14 PM
A1Lexis
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^ Would you look at that!! Can't wait to try this. Thanks for sharing the pics and write-up. Glad to hear the warranty paid off
Old 07-20-11, 01:39 PM
PLAYTYM
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by A1Lexis
^^^ Would you look at that!! Can't wait to try this. Thanks for sharing the pics and write-up. Glad to hear the warranty paid off
This info is actually in our operators manual...LOL!
Old 07-20-11, 02:56 PM
VVTiBob

Received 264 Likes on 200 Posts

LOL you're right....page 268 in my 02 Owner's manual.... never notice it.
Old 07-20-11, 04:22 PM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

I have to check my manual...so excited. What's on P 268?

Last edited by mandyfig; 07-20-11 at 05:26 PM.
Old 07-20-11, 05:35 PM
talwang

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by VVTiBob
LOL you're right....page 268 in my 02 Owner's manual.... never notice it.
Indeed, that part has never got my attention even though I always read the owner's manual that comes with my merchandise. lol

It will be even better if quarter windows can be opened when the top is up. I have tried it several times this morning, but no dice.
Old 07-20-11, 06:29 PM
talwang

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by mandyfig
I have to check my manual...so excited. What's on P 268?
p268 for 02, p275 for your 04.

Last edited by talwang; 07-20-11 at 06:32 PM.
Old 07-20-11, 08:04 PM
VVTiBob

and page 296 for the 06 owner's manual.

Last edited by VVTiBob; 07-20-11 at 09:30 PM.
Old 07-21-11, 05:54 AM
Habious

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I love how they have to put a disclaimer on there to say "Please, don't put your head through the opening, and then close the windows on your neck!"
Old 07-21-11, 09:28 AM
VVTiBob

Maybe it's the, oh I don't know, .... wait for it..... the LAWYERS

Or ridiculousness of 2.7 million dollar judgement like the Liebeck v. McDonald's hot coffee litigation. While the final settlement of the matter was much less, a few hundred thousand, it speaks volumes about, human behavior and the callousness of Corporations and their lawyers.

So it could just be Toyota/Lexus is trying to be thoughtful towards its customers, who may have NO COMMON SENSE, in their printed materials.

BTW after reviewing the Liebeck trial analysis the defense attorneys earned every penny of the punitive settlement against their client. Taking on an 81 year old plaintiff who was even held 20% liable, wasn't the best "sta-tee-gery"

Last edited by VVTiBob; 07-21-11 at 09:36 AM.
Old 07-21-11, 10:32 AM
fubie
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm sure glad they had "Do Not Operate Vehicle With Windshield Sun Screen In Place" printed on the back of it. I may have forgotten.
Old 07-21-11, 12:45 PM
JerryB
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe it's the, oh I don't know, .... wait for it..... the LAWYERS

Or ridiculousness of 2.7 million dollar judgement like the Liebeck v. McDonald's hot coffee litigation. While the final settlement of the matter was much less, a few hundred thousand, it speaks volumes about, human behavior and the callousness of Corporations and their lawyers.

So it could just be Toyota/Lexus is trying to be thoughtful towards its customers, who may have NO COMMON SENSE, in their printed materials.

BTW after reviewing the Liebeck trial analysis the defense attorneys earned every penny of the punitive settlement against their client. Taking on an 81 year old plaintiff who was even held 20% liable, wasn't the best "sta-tee-gery"
Hi Bob,

IMO you have been the most helpful person on this site. And I have thanked you in PM's.

However, I consider these comments to simply wrong. This is not Speaker's Corner in Hyde Park. There are other forums for posts that have lawyer bashing in them.

Respectfully submitted,

Jerry Baumchen

PS) I am not an attorney, just a simple retired Mech. Engr. who has been sued, more than once.
Old 07-21-11, 02:32 PM
VVTiBob

Well I suppose you're right it was off the OP topic. But you have to admit the warning info cited by Habious is over the top. My reference to the McDonalds caper is just another example. Thanks goodness we have a 1st amendment, people with a sense of humor and those willing to run blogs like this one. Most of all, sites like this one: http://www.extremelysmart.com/humor/lawyerjokes.php cause most everyone can relate to it in one way or another.
Old 07-21-11, 03:53 PM
mdpuff
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I gave the quarter window trick a try last nite and it worked! Today after work, started the car, dropped the top, reached into the glove box and hit the valet switch, ( still Running ) hit open twice, then held close and the quarter windows came up! Cool! Driving home though I found the red warning lite in the top switch stayed on and the warning chime was going off, turning up the tunes helped cover that but I also found that the auto window up & down feature did not work with the quarter windows up, the windows still worked but you had to hold the switch?? As soon as you come to a stop the chime quits but starts again as soon as I start moving. Has anybody else tried this trick? Am I doing something wrong? Even after shutting the car off and restarting it the chime is still there.
Old 07-21-11, 03:58 PM
JerryB
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well I suppose you're right it was off the OP topic. But you have to admit the warning info cited by Habious is over the top. My reference to the McDonalds caper is just another example. Thanks goodness we have a 1st amendment, people with a sense of humor and those willing to run blogs like this one. Most of all, sites like this one: http://www.extremelysmart.com/humor/lawyerjokes.php cause most everyone can relate to it in one way or another.
Hi Bob,

Hopefully, you are not mad at me.

And I do agree that things could be going better in this country. Now, saying that, my hope is that we can stick to car issues here.

I have been on other forums where things got 'off track' and they ended up going in the toilet with a lot of very mad folks. I do not want that to happen here; this site is very valuable to a lot of people.

I'll take a look at your link, it might be somewhat funny,

Jerry Baumchen
Old 07-21-11, 04:17 PM
Poqman
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

I found the red warning lite in the top switch stayed on and the warning chime was going off
I had the warning light stay on too, so I closed the rear windows without driving it, therefore, not sure if the chime would have been going off.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Retractable Top Issue Resolutions...