SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Modding to begin... May the experts chime in for some advice...

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-11, 03:44 AM
I-FORCE
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Modding to begin... May the experts chime in for some advice...

So i finally got over the "new car keep it stock phase" and have decided to begin modding my 2010...

As of now, all i've done is had an exhaust shop fabricate a pipe to cancel my third cat. I've also added 25mm Ichiba spacers to the rear wheels; 15mm for the front have been on back order for over a month now but i hope they arrive sometime soon.

Going onto the plan.. Given the very limited suspension options, i intend on going with the following:-

- Megan Coilovers; dont see the need to invest in a set of Teins for my usage. I am not interested in the EDFC option. Reviews on the Megan's look good especially with the difference in price.
- Cusco Strut tower bar (half the price of Tom's; same performance)
- Tom's Rear Chassis brace.. I'm hoping stiffening up the chassis a little would reduce roll because this is my main issue the SC...

Another Issue, one of the main ones i need help with.. WHEELS!!!
I really like the Volk CE28N.. I saw a pic of a black SC with 19x9.5 all around and WOW. For my application, i have decided to go with:-
- 19x9.5 (245/35-19) front
- 19x10.5 (275/30-19) back
(http://www.upgrademotoring.com/wheels/ce28n.htm).

Offsets offered are:-

19x9.5 - +12, +22, +25, +36, +45
19x10.5 - +12, +22 (+36 offered by - http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/v...iss2v0s6nrov77)

What do you guys think, i am clueless regarding wheel offsets. I tried going through the excellent wheel guide on this forum, couldnt make any sense out of it. For now im thinking of going with +36mm allround (staggered setup obtained by the difference in wheel width) - or would you believe a 'closer to factory' offset like +45 would suit the fronts more?

Performance...
- PPE Headers:- Havent seen any reviews for this product on the SC430.. Mostly on the GS.. I want to go with headers because i dont want to make the car much louder.. i've grown out of aftermarket exhausts for some reason.. I think headers will give a legit performance gain without the drama. I also plan on incorporating an x-pipe before the rear factory muffler and will alter some factory piping (especially the one's passing under the chassis brace where the pipes shrink in diameter for some very odd reason) that alone will free up performance without the extra noise associated with aftermarket mufflers.
- Injen Intake - or shall i go with the SRT Intake and tune?
- I also intend on getting a throttle controller, i have a link bookmarked on my home computer (not on me right now); its basically a device you install on the accelerator and it gives three settings (will repost the name when i access to my laptop). The reason i chose this over the Blitz is because i dont want any aftermarket accessories on the dash. I wanna preserve the classy factory interior.

So that sums up the plan i have. I will probably get a CF roof spoiler of some sort later on but these are the main mods i want to carry out. I'll start ordering the parts as soon as possible.. Just trying to figure out the details listed above.

I also though about an Artisian Bodykit so i contacted them and this was their reply:-

"Sorry took long time to get back to you on the SC430 body kit quotation.
Please find the attached excel file. we now offer special 20% off discount if you place an order within one month(detail info is in the excel file).

2010 SC430 LIST Special Deal(Valid from June 14 to July 14, 2011)
FB/S 1,500
S/S 2,500
RB/S 1,500
Fog Lamp 4 263
Rear Piece Muffler 2,325
Total 8,088 20% off list $6470

Freight (Ocean) Door to Port *Tax and duties are not included $578
Freight (Air) Door to port *Tax and duties are not included 35kg $2,305

Lead Time (ready to Ship) 1-2weeks

So nooooo bodykit..... For now at least

Moe
Old 07-05-11, 03:51 AM
I-FORCE
Driver

WoW.. Sorry for the long post guys.. guess thats wat happens when you're bored at work little while before your done

I also forgot to add that i am on the lookout for a 3.76 LSD pumpkin from a Supra... I looked into my stock Diff Specs.. turns out its a 3.65:1 Non-LSD.. Not sure which Toyota/Lexus shares the Diff with the SC but the dealer confirmed. a 3.76 with LSD will also give a nice bump in power and response.

Last edited by I-FORCE; 07-05-11 at 04:00 AM.
Old 07-05-11, 04:58 AM
redliner8
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've had PPE headers on mine for a few months now with no problems . They seem well made and were direct bolt on. I think I'm currently the only SC that has them. Tell Paul at PPE that I sent you and he will help you out with pricing and fitment. He also makes high flow cats that may be worth looking into. The sound difference was deeper and more 'grumbly' (if that's a word).

Most people here have Injen, including me. It was a very easy install and noticeable sound difference. I don't have any info on SRT.

You're idea to replace the flattened pipes with an x-pipe is a good idea I recommend replacing the muffler too

One thing you didn't mention was your lights. I would change all your interior/exterior lights to LEDs, or at least the dome lights, it makes a great difference
Old 07-05-11, 05:21 AM
bacardi
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I-force
i just did my exhaust, X pipe, but keeped the res. the flat pipe was also keeped, it dosen't interfear with flow what so ever just for clearance. my mufflers are from Dr. Gas they are custom made, real nice sound. check out Dr. Gas web-site they are the best. check it out. check out bacardi post (muffler delete) page 4 you will see what they look like. i also have Dr.Gas tips they are real nice.

Last edited by bacardi; 07-05-11 at 07:51 AM.
Old 07-05-11, 09:10 AM
A1Lexis
Lexus Test Driver

Depending on the drop you are going for with the Megan's, you can run +22 without a problem. And like redliner8 mentioned, change your interior and exterior lights to LED. You are definately off to a great start
Old 07-05-11, 10:08 PM
I-FORCE
Driver

Originally Posted by redliner8
I've had PPE headers on mine for a few months now with no problems . They seem well made and were direct bolt on. I think I'm currently the only SC that has them. Tell Paul at PPE that I sent you and he will help you out with pricing and fitment. He also makes high flow cats that may be worth looking into. The sound difference was deeper and more 'grumbly' (if that's a word).

Most people here have Injen, including me. It was a very easy install and noticeable sound difference. I don't have any info on SRT.

You're idea to replace the flattened pipes with an x-pipe is a good idea I recommend replacing the muffler too

One thing you didn't mention was your lights. I would change all your interior/exterior lights to LEDs, or at least the dome lights, it makes a great difference
Wow thats awesome I'll definately get in touch with Paul and mention you; thanks for that.. What do you think of the power gain, Is it worth the trouble?

I'm not really interested in replacing the muffler because i want to keep the car sounding as stock as possible, and thats already going to be sacrificed with the Intake and headers.
If i were to consider the high-flow cats, chances are i will trigger the CEL and require an 02 Sim correct? I generally dont like altering stock cats to avoid the smell of gas especially when the weather's nice and the top is down. Do you have a set of High-flows installed?

The reason i considered the SRT intake is because my brother had it on his SC400 and he used to love em' he recommends em' to anyone with a lexus

BACARDI; are you sure the flattened pipes dont interfear with flow? I thought that any difference in pipe diameter alters flow.. Technically speaking, the flattened pipe should decrease flow and increase pressure; not a good thing to have right before the muffler. Again, regarding Dr.Gas, if i go with mufflers with an intake and headers the car will become really loud.. something im seriously trying to avoid..

LEXIS; I changed the interior lights on my 07 Tundra to LED and i grew out of them pretty quick... I love the LED interiors in newer Lexus but i'm not sure if i'd like the aftermarket LED's on the SC.. Mirror ambient lights are a difference story.. Ill probably try it both ways.. Will let you guys know.
With the +22 offset are you reffering to the 19x10.5? I dont intend on lowering too much because of our excellent roads :'(.. maybe an inch max; i'll decide when i get em installed i guess.
Doesnt the setup sound a little on the aggressive side with a 10.5" width and a 22mm offset? I'm really lost regarding sizing because i have to get this right!

Thanks alot guys, your help is much appreciated..
Let voiding the warantee begin

Moe

Last edited by I-FORCE; 07-05-11 at 11:55 PM.
Old 07-05-11, 11:45 PM
bacardi
Lead Lap

before you do anything talk to the people at Dr. Gas that flat pipe dosen't reduce flow, it made for clearance. they make oval tubing for exhaust they are one of the few that do.
I-FORCE
lexus use 2" pipe coming from the engine. i removed the 2" Y pipe and install the X pipe in place of the center cat. from the res. lexus use 2 1/4" oval on the flat to the muffler and coming out of the muffler 2 1/2 ". i have the same system in mine with the res. real nice sound, not loud, you would be very suprised.
redliner8
i'm still trying to hook up with you to show you my lights and the exhaust.

Last edited by bacardi; 07-06-11 at 12:02 AM.
Old 07-06-11, 12:46 AM
I-FORCE
Driver

Originally Posted by bacardi
before you do anything talk to the people at Dr. Gas that flat pipe dosen't reduce flow, it made for clearance. they make oval tubing for exhaust they are one of the few that do.
I-FORCE
lexus use 2" pipe coming from the engine. i removed the 2" Y pipe and install the X pipe in place of the center cat. from the res. lexus use 2 1/4" oval on the flat to the muffler and coming out of the muffler 2 1/2 ". i have the same system in mine with the res. real nice sound, not loud, you would be very suprised.
redliner8
i'm still trying to hook up with you to show you my lights and the exhaust.
Would you happen to have a sound clip for your set up?
Basically, the plan i had in mind was to create a true-dual set up with an incorporation of an X-Pipe @ the center cat.. 2.25 304 SS piping welded from right after the primary cat through to the muffler and the X-Pipe in the middle.. I'll look into Dr. Gas but i dont think i will consider a muffler swap atleast until i modify my exhaust and install the headers and intake!

Problem is factory Toyota Exhaust are some restrictive SOBs
Old 07-06-11, 04:39 AM
bacardi
Lead Lap

if you remove the res. it will be loud. thats why i keeped them. i have a true duel exhaust system on mine. the muffler will be choking your system. the trouble is i don't know how to make a video clip. that why i'm trying to hook up with redline8. i have the x pipe, the res. and though to dr.gas mufflers, though his tips. total parts cost tips, muffers,and x pipe 687.00. 349.00 for the install.

Last edited by bacardi; 07-06-11 at 04:53 AM.
Old 07-06-11, 04:47 AM
redliner8
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by I-FORCE
Problem is factory Toyota Exhaust are some restrictive SOBs
That's the truth, at least with our cars

Yea, if you want it to still sound 'stock' aka quiet, it'd be best to leave the muffler as is. I got rid of the flattened pipe on mine, replaced it with 2.25" round pipe, and have no clearance issues. You're correct about the flattened pipe reducing flow although, I'm not sure how much of a difference it'll be to have an X pipe instead since the stock muffler also reduces flow quite a bit.

I love the headers. It was just a lot of $$$ to get them installed, I asked around a bunch of shops first to get the lowest quote. Most shops will quote it around a 17 hour job.
Old 07-06-11, 10:56 PM
I-FORCE
Driver

Originally Posted by redliner8
That's the truth, at least with our cars

Yea, if you want it to still sound 'stock' aka quiet, it'd be best to leave the muffler as is. I got rid of the flattened pipe on mine, replaced it with 2.25" round pipe, and have no clearance issues. You're correct about the flattened pipe reducing flow although, I'm not sure how much of a difference it'll be to have an X pipe instead since the stock muffler also reduces flow quite a bit.

I love the headers. It was just a lot of $$$ to get them installed, I asked around a bunch of shops first to get the lowest quote. Most shops will quote it around a 17 hour job.
Wow you guys confused me LoL.. Peer pressure

I had an exhaust on my Tundra.. Got so sick and tired i returned it to stock and installed Long Tube Headers.. Couldnt be happier, i managed to squeeze even more power while keeping a deep stock tone; now i can hear the blower whining at all times

I want a similar setup on the SC.. I'm worried with headers and an exhaust it will become very loud..

I'm looking into Dr. Gas, will see how that goes and let you guys know..

Moe
Old 07-07-11, 04:21 AM
bacardi
Lead Lap

if you need the size for the muffers let me know, i think you will be very pleased. like i said i'm runing the x pipe were the center cat. is, then the res.'s, then dr. gas mufflers, then dr. gas tips. you have never seen mufflers like these. great custom exhaust you can't go wrong. if you wanted it louder remove the res.'s i like it with res.'s. its a LEXUS! parts 687.00 349.00 installed. talk to them about the flat pipe. exhaust is their thing. if you use the size i tell you. the mufflers will bolt right up with flat pipes.
gene

Last edited by bacardi; 07-07-11 at 04:45 AM.
Old 07-07-11, 12:02 PM
talwang

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by I-FORCE
WoW.. Sorry for the long post guys.. guess thats wat happens when you're bored at work little while before your done

I also forgot to add that i am on the lookout for a 3.76 LSD pumpkin from a Supra... I looked into my stock Diff Specs.. turns out its a 3.65:1 Non-LSD.. Not sure which Toyota/Lexus shares the Diff with the SC but the dealer confirmed. a 3.76 with LSD will also give a nice bump in power and response.
I just checked the specs for your region and was surprised to find out only the US 06+ has the 3.769.
06+ indeed only has the 3.615 final gear ratio in your region.

Old 07-09-11, 10:26 PM
I-FORCE
Driver

Originally Posted by talwang
I just checked the specs for your region and was surprised to find out only the US 06+ has the 3.769.
06+ indeed only has the 3.615 final gear ratio in your region.
Hah.. The man i was waiting for - The Diff Expert - I wanted to post back on the thread we were discussing this subject on; I had a feeling it wasn't aggressive enough to be 3.769. It certainly wasn't low enough to be a 3.23 either. Do you know of any other Toyota/Lexus that shares a 3.615 with the SC?

BACARDI:- I'll let you know about sizing when im ready for a muffler upgrade.. Priority now is headers and the other touches i plan to do on the exhaust.. Will see how it turns out before going with a muffler.
Thanks alot for your input though; much appreciated - Dr. Gas seem to offer quality exhausts.. Got me very insterested.

Moe
Old 07-10-11, 11:22 AM
talwang

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

I am really not an expert in the lsd differencial.
All I did was read the specs first before I posted. lol

06+ gs/is/sc all share the same 3.769 differencial in the US.
That may explain why some members said 06+ sc430 felt a bit quicker than 02-05.

It is likely the same in your region.

I think you should leave your differencial as is especially those 06+ is/gs guys haven't been able to do anything creative to it so far.

Quick Reply: Modding to begin... May the experts chime in for some advice...