SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

$33k for 2007 SC 430...40,000 miles

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-11, 08:56 AM
raywest
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

haha...I'm sure I'll get compliments for having this car. My buddy just bought a convertible Merc E Class so he might get more manly comments than my SC, but I'm sure the ladies will love my "hard"top more haha....

Thanks for the positive comments, another reason to own this car!

I will look for the Zaino product mentioned...I feel that those machine car washes will destroy the paint, so I will try and clean the car myself. Thanks all and enjoy the day.
Old 06-06-11, 10:50 AM
tfischer

Received 192 Likes on 145 Posts

For tips on good washing procedures, visit the detailing forum at:
http://www.autopia.org/forum/car-detailing/
For instructions about applying Zaino and for purchases, go to
www.zainostore.com
Old 06-06-11, 11:51 AM
raywest
Driver

Wow... zaino has too many steps... How about just havin the car detailed every 6 months by a pro? Lol
Old 06-06-11, 01:11 PM
tfischer

A professional detail every 6 months will cost a lot, and if he only waxes your car, that wax will be gone in 6 to 8 weeks.
Zaino requires some time for the initial application, because you have to get all the wax and dirt off, and get down to the bare paint, because a polymer will only bond to the paint. If you put in on over wax, it will come off with the wax. So here's the trade-off: spend a fair amount of time and clean the car well, and apply a few coats of Zaino. After that, reapplications are required only about every 6 months or so, and the process is much easier, faster and longer lasting than wax. In fact, the new Zaino CS gets wiped on, and you don't even have to wipe it off, like you must do with Z2. The alternative is to wax the car every month or so, which takes a lot of work, especially in removing the wax, and it must be done far more often. I find that the initial investment in time is well worth it.
One other advantage: Zaino looks far deeper, richer and "wetter" than wax. Just last week, a stranger at a gas pump complimented my car, and was shocked to learn it was 10 years old.
Read the Zaino pages again to see how easy and quick the process is after the first application. I do my two cars twice a year, and each car takes about an hour or so each time. I haven't used wax in 15 years and my cars look like new. When the water stops beading in the rain, which is about 6 months or so after the previous application, just wash and apply either Z2 (then wipe off 30 minutes later, which is easy - not like wax) or CS, which gets wiped on and that's it. Either one of those will last another 6 months or so.
The secret, again, to a good bonding is to wash the car well once or even twice with Dawn (or a detergent - to dissolve the wax) and get everything off the paint. Using a clay bar at this point is not a bad idea, (although using it later will not remove the Zaino) as the result will be a finish that looks like and feels like glass.
Highly recommended, especially on a fine car with good paint like an SC.
PS: if the initial prep and application still appears daunting, or you just don't have that kind of time, there are detailers out there who are familiar with Zaino and will do the initial cleaning and application for you; just be sure he knows what he is doing and is using the products you specify. After that, routine re-applications of Z2 or CS should be no problem.
Old 06-06-11, 04:43 PM
raywest
Driver

Thanks for that! I'm going to try and follow what you said (and the Zaino site) to keep my car looking shiny hot. I'll whisper you when I have a question, is that ok? I really don't want to mess up the paint! Thanks in advance!!
Old 06-06-11, 04:45 PM
raywest
Driver

btw, what do you all think of getting an oil change at Firestone instead of at the Lexus dealership? it's 5 min for me to go there, and I had been having my ES taken care of at Firestone for over 5 years. Going to a dealer would take me 1 hour round trip. So is it worth the trip?
Old 06-06-11, 04:56 PM
Poqman
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

what do you all think of getting an oil change at Firestone instead of at the Lexus dealership?
I have taken my 2001 Highlander (98k miles), 2007 Highlander Hybrid (38k), 2005 RX330 (63k) and 2002 SC430 (100+k) to Firestone for oil changes for the past 10 years. Never a problem and all the engines still run like new. I like them for their coupon discounts and consistent service. I wouldn't think of switching to the dealership for oil changes. If you're really concerned, then just but OEM filters.
Old 06-06-11, 06:51 PM
tfischer

Firestone sounds fine to me, but try to keep the SC out of any place with "Jiffy" etc in its name. Those kids do not always know how to deal with (relatively) rare cars with unusual configurations like we have on the underside of the SC.
With the SC you want someone who is going to take his time.
Old 06-07-11, 02:53 PM
raywest
Driver

awesome, thanks all....I would post pics of my car up but I am still waiting for the dealer to get the registration done......urgg

now on another topic...what do you all think of the SC being discontinued? does it bring a negative implication or perspective to SC owners? i think that normally when people think of something being discontinued, it must be that the product is bad or faulty. i sure hope that people won't see the same thing in the SC!
Old 06-07-11, 05:05 PM
tfischer

I can't say what we all think of the SC being discontinued, as I can only speak for myself. However, I'm not sure I really understand the question. First, I think that the SC430 was discontinued after a 10 years run, which is not unusual, especially as the predecessor SC was in production for 8 or 10 years prior to that. I don't waste much time trying to figure out what people normally think about something, especially when your postulated assumption of what they are thinking is a conclusion contradicted by all existing data. Secondly, if someone else has a belief that is demonstrably in error, that's too bad.

Last edited by tfischer; 06-07-11 at 05:06 PM. Reason: Removed photo of my boxer briefs.
Old 06-07-11, 09:12 PM
JerryB
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tfischer
I can't say what we all think of the SC being discontinued, as I can only speak for myself. However, I'm not sure I really understand the question. First, I think that the SC430 was discontinued after a 10 years run, which is not unusual, especially as the predecessor SC was in production for 8 or 10 years prior to that. I don't waste much time trying to figure out what people normally think about something, especially when your postulated assumption of what they are thinking is a conclusion contradicted by all existing data. Secondly, if someone else has a belief that is demonstrably in error, that's too bad.
Hi tfischer,

I agree; I buy a car because I want to buy it, not because I want to sell it. If it goes down in value, then that is what life is.

Jerry Baumchen

PS) Re: Reason: Removed photo of my boxer briefs.

I love that one.
Old 06-08-11, 06:11 AM
rcroller
Rookie

+1 on Firestone...My local shop is great and no Lexus dealer within 200 miles. 99.9% of the time a car is going to be a depreciating asset. You can not expect to make money on a car, especially if it is a daily driver. The fact that the SC has been discontinued just makes a relatively rare car rarer (which is a plus IMHO). I've wanted a 430 since I first saw one in '02 right after I bought my S2000. My bottom line is whatever it ends up costing in dollars and cents, it's worth every penny!
Old 06-08-11, 06:23 AM
tfischer

JB:
Thanks for jumping in.
When I bought my SC430 ten years ago (#12 on the waiting list, so I had just about the first one most people had ever seen), there were a lot of mixed reactions, even from me. I loved the design of my SC400, and still think it is one of the most beautiful cars ever, and the 430 was quite bulbous rather than sleek in comparison. Still, the combo of coupe and convertible and Lexus quality made the car a joy to own from day one. In the last few years, I find myself liking it even more than when I first got it, and now that it's discontinued, it will start to take on the aspects of a classic even more. I still don't know of anything I'd rather have to replace it (other than some exotic like a DB9).
The cost and the value changes over the period are immaterial; a year after purchase, I could have sold it for a profit; after 10 years, the retained value is still high for its age, but it's not for sale. If others don't like it, that's OK with me - I probably don't like their cars either.
As for the PS: nobody enjoys my material more than me, but I will say that I was chuckling to myself all day after posting that one.