SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

fuel filter location

Old 05-28-11, 10:50 PM
gripau1
Intermediate

Received 39 Likes on 21 Posts
Default fuel filter location

Does anyone know where the fuel filter is located?

For the life of me I can't seem to find it, unless the filter is in the fuel tank.
Old 05-29-11, 06:16 AM
sixonemale
Intermediate

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

The attached diagram shows that fuel filter is in the fuel tank.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Fuel System.pdf (21.8 KB, 7332 views)
Old 05-29-11, 10:29 AM
scyul
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by gripau1
Does anyone know where the fuel filter is located?

For the life of me I can't seem to find it, unless the filter is in the fuel tank.
Do you suspect a problem with the fuel filter?
Old 05-29-11, 01:39 PM
gripau1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by scyul
Do you suspect a problem with the fuel filter?

No but I am doing a 150k km major service and want to change the fuel filter at the same time.
Old 05-29-11, 05:44 PM
jzwu
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I believe the in-tank fuel filter doesn't need to be serviced/changed.
The following users liked this post:
Ahihoodg (12-22-23)
Old 05-29-11, 11:41 PM
gripau1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jzwu
ok thanks thats good to know. I suppose just keep using the premium unleaded will keep the fuel tank and lines clean.
Old 05-30-11, 03:26 AM
harleydjce
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wrong. If you check the Service Book you will find it does need to be replaced at specified intervals (75Km's)
Old 05-30-11, 02:37 PM
jzwu
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you sure?

In-line fuel filter needs to be changed after certain miles, but usually not for in-tank fuel filters.
Old 05-31-11, 06:09 AM
tentoys
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Service manager said fuel filter on my 99LC doesn't need changing. I expect Lexus is the same.
Old 06-12-11, 04:52 PM
harleydjce
Lead Lap

Are you sure?

In-line fuel filter needs to be changed after certain miles, but usually not for in-tank fuel filters.
Absolutely sure. Just had it done by the Dealer as per the Service Manual
Old 08-10-13, 03:59 PM
Alex818
Driver

Default Bump

Friend says changing fuel filter could yield me better mpg. I've never even heard of a fuel filter.

Has anyone changed their fuel filter? Cost? Diy?
Old 08-11-13, 01:18 AM
SC43052
Driver

Originally Posted by Alex818
Friend says changing fuel filter could yield me better mpg. I've never even heard of a fuel filter.

Has anyone changed their fuel filter? Cost? Diy?
The fuel filter is definitely not a maintenance item on the SC430. However, if you were to experience contamination of the gas tank it is possible that the fuel filter could become fouled and require changing.

Fouling of the fuel filter would not affect gas mileage. If there is not enough fuel pressure available to the injector system the computer would throw a fault code. If you are receiving faults then you should troubleshoot for this possibility. Otherwise it would be a waste of time and money to change the filter.

And unless you are an experienced DIY and have handled fuel lines, changing the fuel filter would not be considered a trivial task.

It is integrated into the fuel pump assembly, which is located in the gas tank. To access it you need to remove the back seat, under which is a floor service hole cover that must be removed to expose the fuel pump assembly. The fuel pump assembly must be pulled from the tank and the fuel lines disconnected (remember you are working in the back seat). Then the fuel filter can be disassembled from the pump on a bench and replaced. In addition a number of gaskets and O-rings need to be replaced during reassembly and installation into the fuel tank. If all of the replaced fuel line connections are not tight the unit will leak gas. And if the sending unit is not replaced properly the gas gauge will not read correctly.

The fuel filter is about $40-$50 (aftermarket), and I would estimate the attendant O-rings and gaskets would be approximately $10-$20 more.
Old 08-11-13, 11:24 PM
Alex818
Driver

Very good response. Thank you. I'll leave it alone.

Originally Posted by SC43052
The fuel filter is definitely not a maintenance item on the SC430. However, if you were to experience contamination of the gas tank it is possible that the fuel filter could become fouled and require changing.

Fouling of the fuel filter would not affect gas mileage. If there is not enough fuel pressure available to the injector system the computer would throw a fault code. If you are receiving faults then you should troubleshoot for this possibility. Otherwise it would be a waste of time and money to change the filter.

And unless you are an experienced DIY and have handled fuel lines, changing the fuel filter would not be considered a trivial task.

It is integrated into the fuel pump assembly, which is located in the gas tank. To access it you need to remove the back seat, under which is a floor service hole cover that must be removed to expose the fuel pump assembly. The fuel pump assembly must be pulled from the tank and the fuel lines disconnected (remember you are working in the back seat). Then the fuel filter can be disassembled from the pump on a bench and replaced. In addition a number of gaskets and O-rings need to be replaced during reassembly and installation into the fuel tank. If all of the replaced fuel line connections are not tight the unit will leak gas. And if the sending unit is not replaced properly the gas gauge will not read correctly.

The fuel filter is about $40-$50 (aftermarket), and I would estimate the attendant O-rings and gaskets would be approximately $10-$20 more.
Old 01-10-16, 10:44 PM
isfdude
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

It's good to know that's it's under the back seat. I was going to drop the tank to get to mine.
Old 01-12-16, 09:59 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by isfdude
It's good to know that's it's under the back seat. I was going to drop the tank to get to mine.
...in the attached files from post # 2, it shows the fuel filter located inside the tank. I didn't see anything posted about it being under the backseat

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: fuel filter location