SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Bad tire leaves sc430 and I stranded...

Old 05-23-11, 10:37 AM
t119
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad tire leaves sc430 and I stranded...

Saturday, I was driving home on the interstate after visiting some family. The car started shaking violently so I immediately pull into the nearest gas station and air up my Nitto Invo tires. I put the appropriate amount of air in the tires (although i usually fill them with nitrogen) and hop back on the highway. The car is still shaking and about 5 minutes down the highway, i hear a "pop" sound and my tire pressure sensor starts to beep.

The tire is low profile, so it was difficult to tell exactly what had happened to the tire. I didn't know if there was a hole, a gash, or something else. I just got coilovers installed so i was wondering if they played a part in the tire's problemI got a tow home and took off the two back tires off to investigate.

It turns out that the back left tire's side wall had blown out. I ordered a new tire this morning and should be back on the road by Wednesday or Thursday.

Here are a few pictures of the tire:

Here is a camera phone picture of the car with the new coilovers. Better one's to come after she's back on the road.

Also...

When i was taking the back right wheel off (to but the stock wheel back on), one of the screwss on the drum that the lug nuts screw into broke off. Does anyone know if i need to replace the entire rotor or is the drum a separate piece?

Thanks
Old 05-23-11, 11:04 AM
cyberlexus
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow, your tires are super low profile
Old 05-23-11, 11:32 AM
grabber2
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

What size are those tire?
Old 05-23-11, 12:12 PM
nathanoj
Driver School Candidate

Sorry to here that... good thing you're safe.
Old 05-23-11, 12:22 PM
WIL44
Instructor

Received 86 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by t119
Saturday, I was driving home on the interstate after visiting some family. The car started shaking violently so I immediately pull into the nearest gas station and air up my Nitto Invo tires. I put the appropriate amount of air in the tires (although i usually fill them with nitrogen) and hop back on the highway. The car is still shaking and about 5 minutes down the highway, i hear a "pop" sound and my tire pressure sensor starts to beep.

The tire is low profile, so it was difficult to tell exactly what had happened to the tire. I didn't know if there was a hole, a gash, or something else. I just got coilovers installed so i was wondering if they played a part in the tire's problemI got a tow home and took off the two back tires off to investigate.

It turns out that the back left tire's side wall had blown out. I ordered a new tire this morning and should be back on the road by Wednesday or Thursday.

Here are a few pictures of the tire:

Here is a camera phone picture of the car with the new coilovers. Better one's to come after she's back on the road.

Also...

When i was taking the back right wheel off (to but the stock wheel back on), one of the screwss on the drum that the lug nuts screw into broke off. Does anyone know if i need to replace the entire rotor or is the drum a separate piece?

Thanks
Hi t119

Sorry to hear about your problem.

You do not need to replace the rotor/disc.
The rotor/disc and drum are one piece and it slides off over the studs.
Remove the rubber bung from the drum and adjust the parking brake pads (which are inside the drum) to get it off. You may have to help it with a mallet. Try putting some release oil around the hub where it meets the drum.
I have never removed a stud, but it is probably splined into the hub. Knock the broken piece out and pull a new stud into place using a wheel nut and a spacer of some kind or a pile of washers.

Hope this helps.

Best of luck

Steve
Old 05-23-11, 12:25 PM
WIL44
Instructor

Received 86 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by WIL44
Hi t119

Remove the rubber bung from the drum and adjust the parking brake pads (which are inside the drum) to get it off. You may have to help it with a mallet. Try putting some release oil around the hub where it meets the drum.
I have never removed a stud, but it is probably splined into the hub. Knock the broken piece out and pull a new stud into place using a wheel nut and a spacer of some kind or a pile of washers.

Hope this helps.

Best of luck

Steve
Maybe these pictures will help.

Best regards

Steve
Attached Thumbnails Bad tire leaves sc430 and I stranded...-11.jpg   Bad tire leaves sc430 and I stranded...-11a.jpg  
Old 05-23-11, 01:20 PM
t119
Rookie

Thanks for the concern everyone!

What size are those tire?
The tire is the nitto invo and is 285/25ZR20 93W in the rear (my offset is 20 x 8.5 front and 20 x 10 in the back)

Hi t119

Hope this helps.

Best of luck

Steve
Thanks for the diagram! I picked up the parts I need to replace my mistake.
Old 05-23-11, 02:08 PM
Tensi
Intermediate

Same thing happened to me... except it was two tires and two cracked wheels. Good times.
Old 05-23-11, 05:09 PM
robertrios
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yea im surprised you dont have a bent or cracked rim, something similar happened to me in a previous car and since then my car was always vibrating a little bit over 55mph. I assume it was due to me messing up that rim in someway from the blow out...The rim however did hold air fine and had no issues when driving in the city at lower speeds.
Old 05-24-11, 09:59 AM
t119
Rookie

yea im surprised you dont have a bent or cracked rim, something similar happened to me in a previous car and since then my car was always vibrating a little bit over 55mph. I assume it was due to me messing up that rim in someway from the blow out...The rim however did hold air fine and had no issues when driving in the city at lower speeds.
I pulled over immediately after I heard the sound and i think there was enough tire on the rim to avoid the rim from being damaged...or at least I hope so!

I ordered the new tire yesterday and the closest one was in Pittsburgh. I'm hoping that it will be in by tomorrow so I can get back on the road!
Old 05-30-11, 02:26 AM
sabyrzhan
Driver School Candidate

First rule is to fill up air on cold tires only! Filling up air on a hot tire will give you incorrect tire pressure. Which may lead to a blow.
However, in your situation, most probably, that you damaged the tire on the road, prior to adding air to the tires.
Old 05-30-11, 02:58 AM
gripau1
Intermediate

Received 40 Likes on 21 Posts

wow that's my concern running 20" with very low profile rubber bands.
Old 05-30-11, 03:01 AM
1UZAristo
Driver School Candidate

Tires that thin must make for a harsh ride surely?
Old 05-30-11, 05:50 AM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Why didn't TPMS alert the first time? Odd.
Old 05-30-11, 07:00 AM
t119
Rookie

wow that's my concern running 20" with very low profile rubber bands.
Tires that thin must make for a harsh ride surely?
The problem was not from the tire being faulty or that it was a "rubber band." Tire companies know what they're doing when the make high-performance tires, which means that they make sure that they are durable and won't make for too harsh of a ride. Actually, I can't tell a significant difference in the comfort of the ride when I switch the tires out for the stock wheels for winter.

What had happened was, about a year ago, I was driving on the highway when debris fell out of a semi and into my lane. It was unavoidable and I ran over it, which in turn blew my tire. I got the tire plugged and didn't think anything of it until last week. The plug had worked it's way out of position and started to slowly make air leak out of the tire. By the time that the leak was obvious, I was on the side of the road with a blown tire. Turns out a plug will never stay put in such a low-profile tire. Lesson learned.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bad tire leaves sc430 and I stranded...