Register Forgot Password?

2002 SC430 Navigation Replacement

Old 05-19-11, 01:33 PM   #1
mahi03
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)

Default 2002 SC430 Navigation Replacement

Hi all,

New to the forum as I just purchased a 2002 SC430. I did many searches for my question but seem to have come up empty, so any help (or direction to a thread where this has already been discusssed) would be much appreciated!

The vehicle I purchased still has the OEM Navigation screen, but not the computer/dvd unit in the trunk. The previous owner said he had some technician remove the stock unit, and install some sort of Alpine aftermarket "brain", while keeping the original wires intact.

I have two options I suppose, the first is it to somehow find a used navigation computer unit from a salvage yard and purchase an updated DVD. I'd imagine this could be very very expensive.

Or better yet, is there any sort of aftermarket navigaiton unit (like the previous owner had) that can fit into the stock trunk area - either as a computer to interface with the original screen, or as a double-din unit to completely replace the screen in the navigation area?

I've seen many installations where a double-din A/V unit is installed where the original stereo is. I'd like to keep the stereo however, and just replace the navigation unit. Is this possible and if so, any unit recommendations?

thanks!
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
mahi03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-11, 01:56 PM   #2
VVTiBob

The NAV unit in the the trunk is not as expensive as you think as long as you're not getting it a dealer.

If you want to stick with a Gen 2 NAV unit, I have one available for $200.00 Or you can do what some of us have done, upgrade the NAV to a GEN 4 unit. It's not difficult a couple of modular connectors. You'll probably spend more time taking the trunk apart and back together. My concern for you would be the wiring and making sure it really all there.

JDM Rear Seat Cover - Spare Tire Kit - Sport Pedals - Chrome Tourmalines - LED Lighting - 06 Tails - LED Rocker Lights - MGP Caliper Covers - GEN 4 NAV w/BeatSonic Override - Luxlink - Backup Camera - 2012 Pioneer AVH-P4400BH Head Unit w/Beatsonic's NEW MVA-12L Adapter & Steering Pad Controls.
https://www.photoshop.com/express/in...ackingid=BTAGC
VVTiBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-11, 02:48 PM   #3
Liquid SC

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-4...cs-inside.html
Old 05-19-11, 02:58 PM   #4
mahi03
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Bob and Liquid,

I would prefer to get the latest and greatest if possible, which seems to be the Gen4. I did some searches and came across the same thread that Liquid referred me to.

What is the best way to obtain a Gen4 unit? Or can I just purchase model #: 86841-50090 on ebay?

And just out of curiosity, would a double-din aftermarket navi from kenwood/alpine/pioneer/etc work to replace the factory screen if that method was pursued?

I suppose the first order of things would be to tear the trunk apart and verify that the wires are all there...
mahi03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-11, 03:23 PM   #5
Liquid SC

I looked into it before and it looked like ebay was the easiest option. You could also try calling local salvage yards and try to locate one that way. They may have it for cheaper. Several models use the same unit, including Toyotas. Rather than asking if they have it by part number, you may have better luck asking by make and model.
Old 05-20-11, 06:15 PM   #6
robertrios
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (10)

ronjohnathen ronjohnathen

Find a "best offer" listing on ebay mine was listed at 700 buy it now and I submitted an offer of either 300 or 350 and they accepted. Hopefully the original owner didnt splice wires and such but it makes me wonder why they didnt just leave that alpine brain in the car? Depending on when it was put in I doubt its worth much if they were planning on selling it seperate but who knows.
Gen 4 Nav-3M tint-18X8.5 ISX50 Wheels-Alpine MRP-M500 -1JL-10W3v3 - NavTool- Back up Camera - WDTV-LuxLink w/shock sensor &1/4 window-TTE Springs- 38mm R Spacer-Full Wald Rep-Daizen Bushings-TRD Front Sway-Cusco STB- V1- Ingen Intake-PPE Headers-Beastsonic-Pioneer Z150BH
robertrios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-11, 06:15 PM

Tags
2002, 430, dvd, lexus, nav, navigation, removal, replace, replacement, replacing, sc, sc430, screen, system, unit