SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Messed up paint on new SC430.

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-02, 07:05 PM
fulmitz
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Messed up paint on new SC430.

Well, I got my SC on thursday and didn't have the dealer prep the exterior as it was black and I didn't want them messing it up. What I failed to realize is the car was on the lot and they had already preped it a month or so ago and put it on the showroom floor. When I washed it the next day the rear pillar on the drivers side had the HECK scratched out of it like someone was trying to get something off that was stuck on it. They zigzaged back and forth the short distance from top to bottom. It left a definate haze that is noticable.

Unfortunately I was out of town all weekend for the holiday so I went by today to show them hoping they wouldn't accuse me of doing it or saying I should have let them prep it. The service depot said it was up to my salesman and he's out of town. The salesmanager called me and said they would do whatever it takes to make it right.

1st they will see if it's superficial enough to have a detailer buff it out. If not they will repaint it. It is a lease so I don't have to keep it in 3 years but still disappointing nonetheless. I was gonna try 3M hand glaze swirl remover but waited on them first and they agreed that they should do it so I won't get blamed for causing it or making it worse.

If they can't fix it, is it worth getting repainted? It is a lease, but still repaints never seem to last like factory. Would the 3m make it worse? Will an orbital buffer make it worse?

Fulmitz

Last edited by fulmitz; 09-04-02 at 12:12 AM.
Old 09-04-02, 09:24 AM
Gekko
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Black

They warned you not to get Black!!!
Old 09-04-02, 10:58 AM
Larry
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

After all the warnings, you STILL chose black ??

All the swirls and scratches will come out if you use the following:

1- VERY light machine polish
2- Random orbital buffer
3- A thick foam bufing pad

Set the buffer speed on 4 (if it's a variable speed one).

Spread some polish on the pad and run the wheel back and forth a few times over the scratches.
I did my nephews balck Honda a few weeks ago and it came out great. I'm talking a 1997, left out doors car here.

Whatever you do, DON'T let the dealer repaint the door. No body and I mean nobody does paint like Lexus at the factory !

Good luck.
Old 09-04-02, 03:00 PM
ceboyd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default yup...

black repaint won't look the same as factory... wet sand it if all else fails... but NOT repaint...

and DON't get another black car in the future
Old 09-04-02, 03:55 PM
fulmitz
Driver

I had figured I would take care of it. I had no idea they would mess it up like that from the getgo. Anyway, they still haven't called me back about setting up an appointment, but everyone seems pretty confident that it can be fixed quite easily. Thanks for the suggestions.

Fulmitz
Old 09-04-02, 05:44 PM
1NICESC430
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Now, now ... don't be so hard on fulmitz. It wasn't his fault that his black paint got screwed up. I'm sure he would have taken as good care of his black beauty as the best of us.

Personally, being lazy, I selected a silver SC which, at the moment, is filthy but looks terrific!

Relax ... I'm washing it tomorrow.
Old 09-05-02, 10:38 PM
fulmitz
Driver

Well, the salesman called today and I'm dropping it off and picking up a loaner tomorrow. I'm kinda nervous and hope they don't royally f@ck it up! I'll make sure to specify no orbital buffers or wet sanding. I've been told it should come out by hand from a few friends. They said it may not be ready til monday. I can't really use the car this weekend anyway with the holidays and all, my wife makes me walk! Happy new year to all the member of the tribe

I'll post the results next week. Ohh I should take some before and after shots too I guess.

Cya

Fulmitz

p.s. here are the before pics and in the one to the right, you can see where I tried using Meguiar's Clear Coat Prep and Swirl Reducer on the top half. Looks better but I think I'll let the dealership do the rest.
http://www.ofoto.com/AlbumMenu.jsp?r...909727503&US=0

Last edited by fulmitz; 09-06-02 at 02:10 AM.
Old 09-10-02, 11:09 PM
fulmitz
Driver

Just an update... After they botched the detailing the second time around by making the side to side scratches swirls, I took the car home and used One Grande Omega Glaze followed by a coat of Blitz Wax and the car looks spectacular. I don't know about durability (Zaino is VERY durable) but we'll see. Right now I'm happy that my car is swirl free even in harsh bright sunlight!

Fulmitz

p.s. Should I have waited a few months to let my paint "cure" or is that not necessary anymore? I was reading the groups and someone said his salesman said to wait 3-4 months before applying the Zaino or with would trap in solvents and dull the paint.

Last edited by fulmitz; 09-10-02 at 11:18 PM.
Old 09-11-02, 09:39 AM
tfischer

Received 189 Likes on 143 Posts
Default Old Salesman

That must have been an old salesman.

My understanding for quite some time now is that modern paints are fully cured before they leave the factory. You don't have to wait for anything.

This is true even for body shop work. I had a sun roof panel repainted last year, and the guy said I could wax or zaino it right away, which I did with no problem.

If you check in at the Zaino forum on Edmonds, for example, you will quickly find out that the recommended procedure in a new car situation is to tell the dealer not to do any prep work or wax or anything to the car before delivery to you, at which time you take it home and, after washing it the proper way, apply some initial coats of Zaino right away.

3 to 4 months? Rembrant didn't have to let his paintings dry that long.
Old 09-11-02, 02:53 PM
Gekko
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
Default "breathable" wax

>"This is true even for body shop work"

I was told by a long-experienced body work/paint automotive professional that if your car gets new paint, you should only apply a special kind of wax that is "breathable". This "breathable" wax allows the solvents from the paint fully evaporate away from your vehicle.

He did some body work/paint on my car and warned me to wait a few weeks before I got any wax jobs. He said he did apply the "breathable" wax to the affected area.

This guy is very professional and he's always done outstanding work - I trust his opinion.

I would imagine that new cars coming from the factory have already had adequate evaporation time by their date of final customer purchase.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Gekko; 09-11-02 at 02:57 PM.
Old 09-11-02, 03:52 PM
fulmitz
Driver

Actually, my understanding is that most body shops tell you to wait up to three months before waxing to save themselves headaches. They don't want anally retentive perfectionists running home, waxing, finding flaws and or imperfections and running back the next day with complaints. By three months of wear and tear and road grime you can't prove it didn't happen on the road.

Fulmitz

p.s. this was told to me by a body shop guy!
Old 09-17-02, 12:47 AM
fulmitz
Driver

Here are pics of my SC430 Black/Saddle with the One Grande Omega Glaze and Blitz Wax.

Omega Glaze with Blitz Wax at Ofoto.com

Wadaya think?

Fulmitz

p.s. you need an ofoto account to view (they are free)

Last edited by fulmitz; 09-17-02 at 12:53 AM.
Old 09-17-02, 12:03 PM
ms888
Driver School Candidate

Fulmitz,

It looks great !

How easy is One Grand Blitz to apply and take off. How long did it take you ?

Please keep us updated as to whether it lasts more than a month or two.
Old 09-17-02, 12:32 PM
DrRick
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i think you need to sunbathe with your shoes off sometime seriously though, the shine looks incredible. there is nothing, and the Rick means nothing, that looks better than a shiney black automobile.......

Doc
Old 09-17-02, 12:51 PM
tfischer

Received 189 Likes on 143 Posts
Default Reflections

Here are some recent photos of my Black/ecru, which has had Zaino on it since acquired in April of 2001. It does look great (see especially photo #7), but is some trouble to keep clean.

Ofoto pictures are here:

http://www.ofoto.com/I.jsp?m=9997696...3&n=1260339587

Last edited by tfischer; 09-17-02 at 12:52 PM.

Quick Reply: Messed up paint on new SC430.