SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Another spacer thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-12, 06:57 PM
robertrios
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Finally got my spacers on, im dropping one inch on all four corners this Thursday so that should help the look of the car. I still am considering a 35 rear spacer if I get that Ill transfer my 30s over to my 2IS.

I went with the same brand as MandyFig, no issues. torque to 80lbs no vibration issues. I think I spent about 110 on the spacers and then I bought a torque wrench for 40 at the local auto parts but Im going to get alot of use from it in the future...everyone should own one!

In a month Im going to take my cars back to firestone for allignment, i have lifetime there, I dont think they would say anything about the one inch drop but I hear they wont touch cars with spacers. If they give me a hard time with the SC then I probably wont do it on the 2IS.
Attached Thumbnails Another spacer thread-leftdone.jpg   Another spacer thread-rear.jpg  
Old 02-27-12, 03:37 PM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

Looking good! Worthwhile investment on the torque wrench. A must.
Old 02-28-12, 12:37 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by zibby07
Would 25's in the front and 30's in the back look that unbalanced?
I got 20s and 30s on the car now with stock wheels and even now the front sit a tad bit more out, but still looks pretty even.

25s and 30s would make the front stick out way more then the back, it would look unbalanced.

I think on this car, a 10mm difference between the front and back is a must to look balance.
Old 02-28-12, 12:39 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by talwang
As BNR34 said, the wheel wells on this car are just so huge especially the rear that Lexus's one-size-fits-all wheels look the worst on the SC430.
I am thinking about going wild with a 11" wide back wheel and 45mm spacers
Old 02-28-12, 05:09 PM
robertrios
Pole Position

haha gangsta, yea ive had a vibration going over 50 at the steering wheel for awhile now its not spacer related but i balanced both the front wheels today and there are no improvements
Old 02-28-12, 05:38 PM
mandyfig

That's not good...
Old 02-28-12, 05:48 PM
robertrios
Pole Position

yea but as you said in my other post its probably the rears that didnt get balanced...ill go back and do that on thursday hopefully that solves it. Im also thinking about going 35 or 38 in the rear and using these 30 rears for my 2IS, it almost looks like my fronts stick out more than the rears...
Old 02-28-12, 05:56 PM
mandyfig

Front sticking out than rear, my case too. But it is just me who notices it. I am cool with it.
Old 02-28-12, 06:42 PM
robertrios
Pole Position

lol i thought it was just me too but then both the guys at my mechanic place pointed it out lol so NOW it bothers me...im not in a rush though gotta figure out this dang vibration. How much do you guys pay per wheel for a balance?
Old 02-29-12, 11:44 AM
mandyfig

I spent a lot of time simulating the thicknesses we ended up with. I really expected the rear to stick out vs the fronts and after install, it was the case.

As I said depends on what angle you look at it, no one can tell, except us. As is I say.
Old 02-29-12, 12:45 PM
robertrios
Pole Position

yea we will see im gonna take them off and drive around this weekend because the vibration is killing me and my mechanic does not think this is the rears so before he charges me to do them he suggested i remove the spacers and see now that he has balanced both fronts and confirmed that there are no bends and that I am balanced up front.
Old 02-29-12, 03:13 PM
mandyfig

Tricky using the torque wrench when I did mine.

I noticed that the bolt and nut had to settle down, in my case it meant I had to crank it up on torque to seat the bolts and then back off and then torque it with the wrench, so you have proper seating of the bolt that is on the spacer. I heard the bolts squeak, that told me it did not sit all the way.

Did you experience the same?

So after 500 miles, I took off the tires and re-torqued all of them and so far OK, but I know my run-flats needed balancing. So i will take them to the shop soon. Mine is slight vibration on 65. Before or after 65, no vibration. I know it is the rears.

Did you experience the same?
Old 02-29-12, 04:44 PM
robertrios
Pole Position

no im not really sure what you mean you mean the nut that came with the spacer and your stock stud? or the extended stud and your oem lug? Mine easily went to 80lbs and I didnt notice anything weird and I havent heard any noises. Mine had a vibration before spacers its just worse now. I bought all four of my tires in like Nov-Dec of last year and had them balanced. So I figured it might have been my front right rim that had curbage...I replaced that on Monday to a like new wheel with no curb rash and the shop re-balanced both front tires they said there were no bends and they both balanced fine. That caused no improvements to the vibration issue. They suggested taking off the spacers and check again so ill do that over the weekend. If its still there then I guess I can check if it does it with my isf wheels instead...im just not really wanting to do all that. I cant remember if the vibration was there before my tire change. What else could it be other than the rim and tire. It happens without braking so its not the rotors.
Old 02-29-12, 04:50 PM
Poqman
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Did they spin balance or road force balance? I found only road force balancing will cure the vibration.
Old 03-03-12, 11:09 AM
robertrios
Pole Position

Yea I talked to that tech and they just spin balance so I went to firestone and had them road force which identified one front wheel need to have the tire removed, rotated directionally and remoted. Then it was all in spec. That vibration is gone however while I was there I had them do my allignment and their read out said my car was in spec and my wheel is a 0 degrees so dead center however its slightly to the left to go straight and if i straighten it i veer right. However there is no pull...it will sit slightly left not moving and go straight at any speed. They said to bring it back tomorrow to have a senior tech or whatever try to allign it again. Is it because of my springs? They are TTE didnt drop the car very much but since they are trying to adjust to just the stock settings it might be throwing them off. That being said Im gonna get bigger spacers in the rear and keep the 25s up front and move my 30s to the rear of my 2IS. At a one inch drop with an 18x8.5 and 255 tires Im wondering if I can do a 35 or 38???

Quick Reply: Another spacer thread