SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)
View Poll Results: What's an acceptable delay to resolve this glitch?
I want the LuxLink now…NOW, NOW, NOW!
14.81%
If a delay of a couple of weeks means the glitch is fixed, it’s worth the wait.
22.22%
I'd be willing to wait an additional 4-6 weeks to make sure it’s right.
18.52%
However long it takes – Do it once, do it right.
44.44%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

About-To-Be New LuxLink Owners - Need Your Opinion/Input

Old 04-06-11, 06:15 AM
Habious

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Default About-To-Be New LuxLink Owners - Need Your Opinion/Input

I'm a current LuxLink owner in the process of acquiring an additional LuxLink. Since I already have an installed, working LuxLink, I don't think I can really answer this question...so I'm asking you fine folks to chime in with your opinions on this.

I've discovered a glitch in the LuxLink programming/firmware.

If you perform the combination "start-the-car/cycle-the-top" (using the button sequence "LongUnlock-Lock-Lock"), the car will start and the top will go down (or up, depending on it's initial position).

This is how it's supposed to work.

Now for the glitch.

If you do the above sequence...the NEXT time you just remote-start the car (using the button sequence "Unlock-Lock-Lock"), the car will start...and the top will cycle...uncommanded.

This glitch ONLY happens the first time after you do the "start-the-car/cycle-the-top". If you don't ever do that, the remote-start will work as-advertised, every time. If you do use it, the glitch only shows itself the very next time you remote-start the car...subsequent remote-starts work properly.

I've verified this glitch on both my LuxLink and a different LuxLink (different module, installed in a different car, by a different installer). I can make the glitch happen every single time.

So, here's the question...Is it worth delaying production/shipment of the LuxLink module in order to get this glitch ironed out?

I've spoken with Steve at LMS about this and he's looking into it.

He asked me if I thought it was worth trying to fix if it meant a delay in shipping out the units.

So, what do you guys/gals think?

NOTE: This thread is ONLY to discuss the product, please do not take this off-topic to sales discussions.

Last edited by Habious; 04-06-11 at 06:20 AM.
Old 04-06-11, 06:34 AM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

JMTC:

I am not into automotive automation but know some. These sequences are controlled through relays (unless there is a PLC but doubt it) and therefore can be re-designed.

Most probably will increase cost since additional relays and wiring will have to be done. I think it is worth every delay and penny that will require it. And most of all safety should be job 1. There should be sequences that you can not get into without ensuring safety of the driver-passenger.

You do not want people calling an 800 number to complain that this and that did not work.

I am not getting a unit but wish you all the luck. It is still in my to do (to have) list, just not at the top 3 for now.
Old 04-06-11, 06:44 AM
Habious

Actually, while the LuxLink does utilize relays to trigger events, the sequencing is all handled by a little microprocessor. So, it's a reprogramming/firmware updating issue.
Old 04-06-11, 06:48 AM
Solman
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I, too am a current owner (of 3 years) of luxlink. I am also ordering 2 more units as I always intend to be a sc owner. I dont want to take a chance of luxlink being out of production again. That being said, I never noticed this defect because I have never had the need to use the remote start without the use of the top going up/down. Of course living in southern california has everything to do with that. If I lived in Chicago ( my old home), I would want to use remote start as well. I would suggest waiting until the glitch is fixed. I have known Steve for 5 years and can tell you he is a man of his word and is a person you can trust. The wait is worth it. Though I am a current owner, I will vote being that I have purchased two units.

John
Old 04-06-11, 06:56 AM
PLAYTYM
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am on the list of people ordering just one...my very FIRST one for my first SC430. Even though I would love the unit as soon as possible...I still want the glitch gone! I will be installing this myself and after all the time that goes into doing this job...I CERTAINLY want it to work the way it should!
Old 04-06-11, 07:38 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts
Smile Luxlink

Originally Posted by Habious
I'm a current LuxLink owner in the process of acquiring an additional LuxLink. Since I already have an installed, working LuxLink, I don't think I can really answer this question...so I'm asking you fine folks to chime in with your opinions on this.

I've discovered a glitch in the LuxLink programming/firmware.

If you perform the combination "start-the-car/cycle-the-top" (using the button sequence "LongUnlock-Lock-Lock"), the car will start and the top will go down (or up, depending on it's initial position).

This is how it's supposed to work.

Now for the glitch.

If you do the above sequence...the NEXT time you just remote-start the car (using the button sequence "Unlock-Lock-Lock"), the car will start...and the top will cycle...uncommanded.

This glitch ONLY happens the first time after you do the "start-the-car/cycle-the-top". If you don't ever do that, the remote-start will work as-advertised, every time. If you do use it, the glitch only shows itself the very next time you remote-start the car...subsequent remote-starts work properly.

I've verified this glitch on both my LuxLink and a different LuxLink (different module, installed in a different car, by a different installer). I can make the glitch happen every single time.

So, here's the question...Is it worth delaying production/shipment of the LuxLink module in order to get this glitch ironed out?

I've spoken with Steve at LMS about this and he's looking into it.

He asked me if I thought it was worth trying to fix if it meant a delay in shipping out the units.

So, what do you guys/gals think?

NOTE: This thread is ONLY to discuss the product, please do not take this off-topic to sales discussions.
Habious I have the same glitch as you. I am used to it. I personaly dont think its a problem If it is going to delay the new units I say forget it. Steve has been selling the same 2 nd generation unit and if he has to try and correct this minor item who knows what the change may cause in other collateral changes as well. If he were going to go in full production in a generation 3 and had a really better market future for this item I would say ok then. This next run of units I believe will be the last since our car is such a limited market now that the sc 430 is out of production. If Lexus does replace the sc-430 in the future I would just bet they would have some standard features that would be almost identical to the luxlink as Steve has made.

The luxlink so called glitches are all repeatable and since we do know how we can predict them I would say its a personality thing. Nothing is perfect in this world other then my wife and I am on the last generation of that model.
LOL. Talk about predictions,

For those that have the 1/4 window mod that has the restart the car to reset computer is also no big deal. This issue is not with the luxlink its with the 1/4 window sensor that senses the windows moved so you cant activate the top and windows at the same time. I look at these small items as instructions. Like you cant move the car unless you put it in gear and if you want to go backwards you have to put it in another gear. I call these small things normal

Last edited by mrblister; 04-06-11 at 07:46 AM.
Old 04-06-11, 08:06 AM
PLAYTYM
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=mrblister;6287468]Habious I have the same glitch as you. I am used to it. I personaly dont think its a problem If it is going to delay the new units I say forget it. QUOTE]

Personally I feel it depends on where you live whether this is a "true" glitch or not. I live in Vermont and for us up north the weather could literally be 85 degrees F and so I would want to start the car and put the top down. However literally hours later, maybe after a meal at a restaurant the temp could plummet to 60 degrees F and I would just want to start the car and leave the top up. For the top to go down...would be a PITA for me!

Maybe Steve can take a vote of who wants it fixed and who doesn't care, that way people such as yourself could simply get your unit quickly and people such as me could just wait.

Just my .02 cents and my better half doesn't even think it's worth that much!
Old 04-06-11, 08:13 AM
Habious

I certainly agree that it's a totally different problem if you live someplace where it's always sunny and 82°!!

I've had the top go down "uncommanded" when I started the car on a rainy evening.

At that time, it was more than just "a little annoying"!! It dumped a mess of water (from the back window and roof) into the trunk of my car (and onto my CarPC). Not to mention, my seats got wet from the rain coming down, until I could put the top back up.
Old 04-06-11, 08:33 AM
Habious

Originally Posted by mrblister
The luxlink so called glitches are all repeatable and since we do know how we can predict them I would say its a personality thing. Nothing is perfect in this world other then my wife and I am on the last generation of that model.
LOL. Talk about predictions,
It is good that we can get together and identify these glitches, and come up with workarounds.

But, we have this one...and only one...opportunity to have at least some of these problems fixed. As has been said, this is very-likely the LAST run of these that will ever be made. If this doesn't get fixed now, it never will be.

Could I continue to "live with it"? Sure. I have for the past 4 years. But, would I like it fixed? Heck yes!

I basically don't ever use the "remote-start/top-down" combo sequence for just this reason. There are times when I'd like to but, I have to remember what's going to happen the NEXT time I remote-start the car...that day, the next day, three days later.
Old 04-06-11, 08:55 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Smile

It is good that we can get together and identify these glitches, and come up with workarounds.

But, we have this one...and only one...opportunity to have at least some of these problems fixed. As has been said, this is very-likely the LAST run of these that will ever be made. If this doesn't get fixed now, it never will be.

Could I continue to "live with it"? Sure. I have for the past 4 years. But, would I like it fixed? Heck yes!

I basically don't ever use the "remote-start/top-down" combo sequence for just this reason. There are times when I'd like to but, I have to remember what's going to happen the NEXT time I remote-start the car...that day, the next day, three days later.

I see your both points. Since I am not in a hurry because I like you allready have one installed and am buying this new one as a spare. I would be inclined to wait as well . My only concern is unintended consquences. Fix something and run the risk of some thing else going wrong. If Steve was willing to tackle the issue and would be able to do full field testing I would go along with the wait. I also would want to be sure that the luxlink was tested on all years of the sc-430 and would want to be sure that the harness connectors etc were not changed so in the unlikely event I would have to do a swap out of my orig unit with the new one I am getting that it would just be plug and play . I would not want to have to start to re-wire anything in the swap out.
Old 04-06-11, 09:01 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Smile

I have asked steve about the 1/4 window sensor issue and I dont think that he is able to make any changes to this since its the lexus 1/4 window sensor that cause the ignition restart reset. So in essence there is only one glitch that we are talking about . I remember Habious said he was un able to re-program the remote start to run longer then 5 minuites . The default was 5 min and I think he felt it was not long enough , Am I correct in the amount of reported glitches ??
Old 04-06-11, 09:02 AM
VVTiBob

Received 264 Likes on 200 Posts

Of course we should wait IF the issue is programming. As John (solman) wrote in post #4 above:
Originally Posted by Solman
...I would suggest waiting until the glitch is fixed. I have known Steve for 5 years and can tell you he is a man of his word and is a person you can trust. The wait is worth it. Though I am a current owner, I will vote being that I have purchased two units.

John
I would like to read Steve's concerns/responses on this issue. I have posted questions for him. Hopefully he'll provide some 1st person feedback.

As before stated by Habious. This thread is ONLY to discuss the product, please do not take this off-topic to sales discussions.
Old 04-06-11, 09:44 AM
VIPNiSS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I certainly agree that it's a totally different problem if you live someplace where it's always sunny and 82°!!

I've had the top go down "uncommanded" when I started the car on a rainy evening.

At that time, it was more than just "a little annoying"!! It dumped a mess of water (from the back window and roof) into the trunk of my car (and onto my CarPC). Not to mention, my seats got wet from the rain coming down, until I could put the top back up.
I personally think we should wait and have it fixed. Not only is it a glitch but can be a liability for Steve. For whatever reason someone decides to get money hungry they can make a claim against steve that the luxlink damaged their car from the glitch on a storming day.
Old 04-06-11, 09:54 AM
redliner8
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That would be pretty bad! I think a delay to get it fixed is better than having the problem exist.
Old 04-06-11, 09:55 AM
Habious

Originally Posted by mrblister
I have asked steve about the 1/4 window sensor issue and I dont think that he is able to make any changes to this since its the lexus 1/4 window sensor that cause the ignition restart reset. So in essence there is only one glitch that we are talking about . I remember Habious said he was un able to re-program the remote start to run longer then 5 minuites . The default was 5 min and I think he felt it was not long enough , Am I correct in the amount of reported glitches ??
I've spoken with Steve about my particular glitch with the run-time timer. That's specific to my unit...which is why I'm looking at a replacement.

I was hesitant to pull mine out and send it to Steve knowing that, if UPS lost it or something happened to it along the way, it was irreplaceable.

I was also worried that this uncommanded top-down issue was a glitch specific to mine. That's why I borrowed JohnnyCake's SC430 and tried it on his. Does the exact same thing.

And yes, I saw what Steve said on Facebook about the 1/4 window "glitch". That's not a LuxLink glitch, it's the way the Toyota top computer works. Nothing he can do about that.

Same with the fact that the key fob is disabled once the car is remote-started. This isn't a function of the LuxLink...all Toyota's disable the key fob buttons when the car is running.

Steve is concerned that, if we change "one" thing in the programming, will it have an effect on anything else?

I think there are enough of us buying new ones that already have installed ones that...we could have him "fix" the glitch, program a handful of them, send them out to those of us with existing installations, let us all take them for a good, hard spin, and see if any other problems emerge. I'm sure getting a handful of "field test" volunteers wouldn't be a problem. But, it again goes back to my original question...how long would people be willing to wait to "get this right"?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: About-To-Be New LuxLink Owners - Need Your Opinion/Input