SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

SC has any problems on convertible top?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-14, 07:42 AM
4205sweet
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Harold57
Are you doing this with the engine running or off? If the engine is off, the battery could be getting weak.
With the engine running. I have never put the top up or down without the motor running. We don't use the car much only 21,000 miles over the last 12 years
Old 12-19-14, 09:25 AM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

I feel that there are a few keys points to keep in mind about the top function. I've had my 2002 for going on 13 years now (7 miles on delivery), only owner, and never had a problem with the top; ever. In the past I always tried to keep in mind that if the trunk gets too full it will put stress on the forward alignment arms, so never fill the trunk to extremes where you have to force the trunk to close. Once every 6 month, I tighten all the accessible bolts and screws along the guide arms. I also put some WD40 or lubricant along the friction/hinge points. Additionally, as explained above I rarely drop the top without the engine started. I've read that if the computer that controls the top loses power midfunction, it can cause serious problems. I'm not sure if these tidbits are actually helping or not, but in 13 years and living in Oklahoma and Missouri for most of it and always flying top down, never had a problem. Fingers crossed, of course.
Old 12-19-14, 12:04 PM
4205sweet
Driver School Candidate

Since we don't use the car much , there really hasn't been much put in the trunk. I'll try WD40 on the moving parts, but I think there is another. As I stated before, if you disconnect and reconnect the battery if will work at least once. There must be another issue. Has anyone else had the same issue? Please advise.
Thanks
Old 12-21-14, 08:24 AM
medsc430
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by hangout
I had a Boxster before, the convertible top had a problem.
while I took the car to dealer, I found all the Porsche convertible have the top's problem, boxsters and 911s sitting around....
cost $2k to fix it, afraid to open the top after that, coz that day, I needed to put my head all the way down, while I drove home with the Boxster with the failure top (stop in the air)... shame

thinking to buy a SC, anyone knows if the SC has any top's problem?
With all due respect to German car manufacturers, I believe there is one overriding(among others) reason that we have all purchased our vehicles: and that is, reliability. Having owned many German and Japanese cars, I have to give the advantage in reliability to the folks on the island. But I must add that I am one of the few that has experienced an $1100 top "issue" (pkg tray motor) with my 2002 SC. However, after a season in the sun, the pain of that repair is faint memory.
Old 12-21-14, 02:54 PM
Slingshot1
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Shawn
Do you stop the top (engine running) half way open to lub and check the bolts that are exposed during the top operation?
Old 12-22-14, 10:41 AM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Slingshot1
Shawn
Do you stop the top (engine running) half way open to lub and check the bolts that are exposed during the top operation?
Yup, exactly! I also clean and use 303 Aerospace Protectant on all the rubber gaskets and sleeves between the joints of the top and sides.
Old 12-22-14, 05:26 PM
DarthSid
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ShawnOk
I feel that there are a few keys points to keep in mind about the top function. I've had my 2002 for going on 13 years now (7 miles on delivery), only owner, and never had a problem with the top; ever. In the past I always tried to keep in mind that if the trunk gets too full it will put stress on the forward alignment arms, so never fill the trunk to extremes where you have to force the trunk to close. Once every 6 month, I tighten all the accessible bolts and screws along the guide arms. I also put some WD40 or lubricant along the friction/hinge points. Additionally, as explained above I rarely drop the top without the engine started. I've read that if the computer that controls the top loses power midfunction, it can cause serious problems. I'm not sure if these tidbits are actually helping or not, but in 13 years and living in Oklahoma and Missouri for most of it and always flying top down, never had a problem. Fingers crossed, of course.
Shawn you've owned your car just as long as I have. You, single owner too! I also take great care of my car and have never ever had top issues. Like you I rarely open the top with the engine off.
Old 12-22-14, 09:24 PM
4205sweet
Driver School Candidate

I just want to ask again, if anyone who has owned a 2002 430SC has experienced issues with the top going down. When we push the down button we hear a click, but the top doesn't go down. If I disconnect and reconnect the battery it seems to reset the system and the top will go down and back up. When I try to put the top down again all we get is the clicking sound when the down button is pushed. Any help or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-23-14, 06:13 AM
Slingshot1
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ShawnOk
Yup, exactly! I also clean and use 303 Aerospace Protectant on all the rubber gaskets and sleeves between the joints of the top and sides.
Thanks Shawn
I plan on doing some PM this weekend.
Old 12-23-14, 07:27 AM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 4205sweet
I just want to ask again, if anyone who has owned a 2002 430SC has experienced issues with the top going down. When we push the down button we hear a click, but the top doesn't go down. If I disconnect and reconnect the battery it seems to reset the system and the top will go down and back up. When I try to put the top down again all we get is the clicking sound when the down button is pushed. Any help or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
Unfortunately it sounds like it might be something to do with the Top ECU, which determines whether the top is in the up, mid cycle, or down position. Disconnecting the battery clears the system, but when you try to cycle after first drop it seems to have a problem (possibly thinking that the systems hasn't completed the cycle). I would start with the ECU, personally. Lexus should be able to diagnose.
Old 12-31-14, 04:40 PM
4205sweet
Driver School Candidate

Thanks, looks like a dealer visit to find out what the issue is.
Old 01-01-15, 10:43 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

You can also check to see if it is putting out any error codes. The dealer can do that also.